PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Dakota

SRT-4 98
12-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Does the Shelby Dakota fit into any of the Shelby clubs? I just picked up a Shelby Dakota a few weeks ago. PJ

glhs0075
12-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Yep, fits into the Shelby Dodge Auto Club. So you've found the right spot!
:love:

BadAssPerformance
12-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Yep, SDAC has many Shelby Dakota owners! :nod:

Congrats on the new find, any pics? :eyebrows:

cordes
12-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Congrats on the purchase! You're not too far away from me compared to most. There is at least one more person in your immediate area who is in the club too. If you ever want to meet up half way or some such drop me a line.

SRT-4 98
12-23-2012, 08:40 PM
---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Will do, thanks for the invitation. I also have an 03 SRT-4 & a 2005 Commemorative SRT-4. PJ

SRT-4 98
12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Not yet, I will try to get some pictures tomorrow after work. It has been raced for several years and is painted Moulin Rouge. It has a 360 and racing trans and converter. The original parts are available. The dash is cracked really bad and the air cleaner housing is trash. I plan on racing it next year and maybe the following year. In the meantime I plan on rounding up the original engine and transmission and trying to locate a nice dash and air cleaner housing assembly. I then hope to return it to it's original color.

glhs0075
12-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Looking forward to some pics and status updates!

j4278h
12-24-2012, 11:08 AM
video of the pink shelby dakota #923.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwUVB466mpw

SRT-4 98
12-24-2012, 03:03 PM
I will try to get a few pictures after work today.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

That is the one. Thanks for posting the video. The truck is a winner many times over. I am stepping out of a 68 Dart to run the Shelby truck. PJ

ATaylorRacing
12-28-2012, 08:44 AM
I can't remember the name of the guy that owned it, but he made a CRAP load of money in that truck and I wish I had the $$$ to get it. He'd drive it to the tracks and often raced Super Pro, Pro, and Sportsman in the same day....he won all three classes one day at Terre Haute too! The last time I saw him he was in a SSE supercharged Pontiac that had a pulley swap on the blower and was running low to mid 13s. He is tough in that too.

I remembered that I saved the original ad for it in case I ever had the $$$
http://www.collectorcarnation.com/Dodge/2401447/street-strip-89-shelby-dakota.html

SRT-4 98
12-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Bill McCarty. Yes, he did footbrake and win all three classes in one night. He drove it to the track and back home. He drove it to Pinks All Out and qualified. He drove it to Florida, raced and drove it home. He was very tough in the truck and I am going to try to uphold it's reputation. I drove it home, but I will trailer it to the track. It runs on 87 octane and is wicked on the street for sure. With 3:55 gears, it just putts along at 5 over the speed limit. I did get down to the final 16 in Sportsman at Indy this year at the Bracket Finals in my Dart, which wasn't consistant??? It was with the larger engine for Pro. I am only changing fluids, plugs, plug wires and new slicks and I am going racing.

ATaylorRacing
12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Bill McCarty. Yes, he did footbrake and win all three classes in one night. He drove it to the track and back home. He drove it to Pinks All Out and qualified. He drove it to Florida, raced and drove it home. He was very tough in the truck and I am going to try to uphold it's reputation. I drove it home, but I will trailer it to the track. It runs on 87 octane and is wicked on the street for sure. With 3:55 gears, it just putts along at 5 over the speed limit. I did get down to the final 16 in Sportsman at Indy this year at the Bracket Finals in my Dart, which wasn't consistant??? It was with the larger engine for Pro. I am only changing fluids, plugs, plug wires and new slicks and I am going racing.

So you ran for pts at Terre Haute? I ended up a crapy 9th in pts at Indy, the year before last I qualified with Matchbox and ended up getting down the the last 9 cars. In 1987 I won the Div 3 ET finals with a average RT of .012, my worst RT was in the finals...a .020 for the win! I found out why old Matchbox started being inconsistant compared to other years....since gas now has alky in it it made it a bit leaner, I compensated with jetting changes, but there can be up to 15% variance on the amount in there....plays havoc trying to get it consistant. BILL IS TOUGH AS NAILS...a Chuck Norris version of drag racer!

SRT-4 98
01-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Yes, I was on the Terre Haute team. I had a lot of problems trying to get the car consistant, as it was in the past. I only ended up 6th. in points.