PDA

View Full Version : LM turbonator pumping table not looking right need some help

TFmech
12-21-2012, 12:29 AM
The car is a 87 shelby Z motor is pretty much stock has big front mount intercooler, 52pph injectors, 3 bar map and cold air intake.

It has a Ostrich emulator and a turbonator cal setup by rob loyd. I turnned the boost back to 12 psi tell we make sure it is running right.

We are adjusting it with MPtune here is the issue we are haveing. The thing runs great around town till you get into boost.

The air fuel started about 10.8 and by the time it hit 5000 it would be it 9.3 on the air fuel then the car would misfire. I figured the pumping table needed to be leaned a little. I stared leaning it and leaning it till the A/F was looking about right at 10.5-11.0 and run through the gears. We decided to give it a break as that was after about 10 passes out on the local highway.

Here is my question by the time I got it run at 10.5-11.0 with out cutting out. I had to have the pumping table starting at about 3300 pretty much take a nose dive from all the way down to 57% at 6000 to get it to run under boost.

I dont know what I am missing the A/F table is set right. The injectors are scaled for 52pph injectors. The map is set to 3 bar. MPtune says it is the most up to date version it runs the same with the Robs cal and one I scaled for it.

Any help would be great

Thanks,
Kris

tryingbe
12-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Every car is different, but it sounds like your setup isn't able to breath at higher RPM.

My car's engine setup is for high RPM operation, and the pump efficiency table reflects that.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?68668-Post-up-your-Pump-Efficiency-Table!!

TFmech
12-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Here is a pic of what it took to get it so it would run through the gears with out cutting out.

Force Fed Mopar
12-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Put it back where it was and rescale for 58pph injectors, see how that does.

Here is the cal I made and ran in my stock '87 Shelby Z w/ a 3-bar, +40's, 52mm TB, a big fmic and 3" exhaust, up to 20psi w/ no issues, if you want to try it. (I haven't making a V13 version yet).

shackwrrr
12-21-2012, 11:04 AM
What about the other tables for fuel, where are they set.

TFmech
12-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Put it back where it was and rescale for 58pph injectors, see how that does.

Here is the cal I made and ran in my stock '87 Shelby Z w/ a 3-bar, +40's, 52mm TB, a big fmic and 3" exhaust, up to 20psi w/ no issues, if you want to try it. (I haven't making a V13 version yet).

I will rescale it and give it a try will. Thanks for the cal we will try that to as it sounds like it is pretty close to what we are running here.

TFmech
12-21-2012, 02:13 PM
What about the other tables for fuel, where are they set.

They are set right on the 12.0 A/F line rob set it at. I have not started messing with them because it does not act like it is boost dependant. It dosent seam to matter where we have the boost set at it is always be pig rich by the time it makes it to 5000 RPM.

TFmech
12-21-2012, 09:06 PM
tried to rescale the injectors for 58s with the pumping table back at normal and still same thing. I tried the cal force fed was running in his daytona and still the same.

Then kept leaning the pumping table down from the picture above and it has come right in. Starts at about 11.2 and is about 10.8 at 6000 now.

I guess the combo just dosent flow enough at higher RPMs to use all the fuel the stock table has going into it like was mentioned before.

I guess my question now is do I just run it like this or might there be something wrong? Am I correct in adjusting the pumping table first till it is close to the correct A/F? Should I be adjusting the other fuel tables to try to correct this even though they seem to be right on the A/F line for the injectors and fuel pressure we are running?

Thanks for the help

GLHNSLHT2
12-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Disconnect the WG arm and make sure you get 0psi. Set your PF table that way. Also Those a/f lines are crap. I'd set the PEFTBL like that then see if it's just boost dependent

TFmech
12-21-2012, 10:32 PM
guess we will give that a try tomarrow and see how it acts.

Thanks,
Kris

TFmech
12-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Decided not to wait till tomarrow. Waste gate unhooked at 0psi or less. I put a stock PEFTBL cal in it and run it up to 4000 starts goes to about 10.0, 4500 was about 9.8, 5000 hit 9.6 then it missfired. Then tried the program scaled for 58pph injectors with the same result. Put the table back in that I had modified from above and runs just like before with the waste gate hooked up starts at about 11.2 3500 and is at 10.5 at 6000. I dont get it......

Force Fed Mopar
12-22-2012, 02:10 AM
You do have a swirl head, right? 1-piece or 2-piece? 46 or 52m TB? What exhaust?

TFmech
12-22-2012, 03:21 AM
swirl head, 46mm, 2 piece, 2.5 inch exhaust with bullet muffler, 88 roller cam

ShelGame
12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
swirl head, 46mm, 2 piece, 2.5 inch exhaust with bullet muffler, 88 roller cam

Is this the same cal I made for you back in '09?

That was setup for a Menegon +1mm 287 head. Still a 2.5?

It's also kind of old. It was made using T-LM v9... EDIT: I mean really old - it predates MP Tune; How did you setup the A/F tables?

ShelGame
12-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Actually, the fuelling in the cal I'm looking at is wrong. Not sure why, but it looks like the injector scaling is in the wrong direction almost.

TFmech
12-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Actually, the fuelling in the cal I'm looking at is wrong. Not sure why, but it looks like the injector scaling is in the wrong direction almost.

Hey Rob, no this is not the same cal you made me for my Omni. That one never really ran right.....I guess if the fueling tables where not scaled right that might explain that. I could use a good v13 cal for the omni it is still a 2.5 has a bigger turbo though now.

Now for the car we are working with. This is my cousin Sean Martin's car out here in oregon. You just made the cal for it last week or the week before. He bought a emulator and we loaded on there. The only chages I made to it was move the fan schedules in to bring on the fan earlier as he has a huge intercooler mounted right in front of the air inlets. It was wanting to run hot out on the highway. Moved the boost down to 12psi so till we get it running right. Then set out to see if it was going to run right and you can see from what we have tried so far.

TFmech
12-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Was just sitting here thinking about it might try this morning is unhook the intercooler tube from the throttle body with the waste gate unhooked and see what it looks like. Eliminate the intercooler system as a restriction.

TFmech
12-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Ok, so intercooler unhooked waste gate unhooked. Start with Robs original cal sent in email to my cousin unmodified, same result makes it to 4800 and misfires bad reading about 9.5. Tried origanal scaled for 58lb injectors, same result. Tried orignal that I modified the fan and and turned down the boost with stock pump table....same result. Put in the pump table from above and runs to 6000 at at about 10.8.

I dont understand it should be lean enough to burn it down with that pump table that it is running with. Here is the template it is running with right now if anyone wants to see if they can find something wrong with it.

tryingbe
12-22-2012, 04:57 PM
There is a password on the zip file, what is it?

TFmech
12-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Alright I will have to take a look when we get back to the house sorry

TFmech
12-22-2012, 08:50 PM
There is a password on the zip file, what is it?

I just downloaded the zip on two diffrent computers with two diffrent programs and it worked fine for me didnt ask for a password. Seems to be working if it dosent work I can email it to you.

GLHNSLHT2
12-22-2012, 11:32 PM
cork in the exhaust?

TFmech
12-23-2012, 02:07 AM
cork in the exhaust?

I wish it was that easy....I still dont get it.

TFmech
12-23-2012, 04:39 AM
FOUND IT!!!! Turns out I now know and everyone else knows what a the pumping table will look like when the cam timeing is off. I ask if they checked it....guess I should have checked it myself. It is amazing how close it is to the A/F line. Runs 11.8-12.1 all the way to 6000 under boost now. Thanks for the help everyone and thanks for the cal Rob is it great.

I knew the thing didnt seem to running right.....guess now I know.

GLHNSLHT2
12-23-2012, 09:01 AM
so was it advanced a tooth?

Force Fed Mopar
12-23-2012, 11:07 AM
FOUND IT!!!! Turns out I now know and everyone else knows what a the pumping table will look like when the cam timeing is off. I ask if they checked it....guess I should have checked it myself. It is amazing how close it is to the A/F line. Runs 11.8-12.1 all the way to 6000 under boost now. Thanks for the help everyone and thanks for the cal Rob is it great.

I knew the thing didnt seem to running right.....guess now I know.

Yeah the AF line is a decent guide for WOT fuel. It isn't anywhere near close for part-throttle though.

ShelGame
12-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah the AF line is a decent guide for WOT fuel. It isn't anywhere near close for part-throttle though.

If you turn the adaptives off, it should be. The adaptives will always try to push the afr off that line. It's just a starting point...

Force Fed Mopar
12-23-2012, 08:30 PM
If you turn the adaptives off, it should be. The adaptives will always try to push the afr off that line. It's just a starting point...

Looking at it again, you are right, it is pretty close. I was remembering it from my early cals, before I scaled for 58's.