PDA

View Full Version : walbro sound?

MNmopar
12-17-2012, 11:10 PM
To people that have actually listened to them, does this hold true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7102yaOA2jk

I have a brand new walbro 255 that I bought from a member here about a year ago or so and it sounds more like the one in the middle (fake according to the video).

So... two questions come to mind. 1. Is this test a hard and true test to know the difference, and 2. is there any other way to tell them apart?

I've done a little research on the internet and it seems that it's pretty hard to tell them apart, so I was going to use the video as the tie-breaker, but now I'm thinking that I may just pick up another one directly from a vendor. (Are they guaranteed?)

Thoughts?

cordes
12-18-2012, 12:07 AM
If you can do a flow test it should be pretty easy to tell, especially if you can put a load on it with some pressure. IIRC the flow vs. pressure table for them is on here somewhere. Get 60-70PSI behind it and I would think the fake one would put out next to nothing.

MNmopar
12-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Hmmm, that's a good idea, but it's a little out of my wheelhouse unfortunately. I don't really have any setup that I could do that with, at least not that I can think of.

If you or anyone else could do this easily, I could maybe make it worth your while? Just a thought.

tryingbe
12-18-2012, 02:07 AM
If it sounds like a fake, you have a fake.

I bought Deatschwerks so I didn't have a possibility of buying a fake walbro.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?68067-Deatschwerks-install-pictures-DW200-L-body-and-non-L-body.

MNmopar
12-18-2012, 11:51 AM
If it sounds like a fake, you have a fake.

I bought Deatschwerks so I didn't have a possibility of buying a fake walbro.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?68067-Deatschwerks-install-pictures-DW200-L-body-and-non-L-body.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. I almost just stuck it in without trying it out, now I'm kind of glad that I didn't.

I didn't even know about the Deatschwerks pumps, so I'll definitely look into them. Thanks for taking the time to do a thread about their install too. (Not the same as the one I'm doing, but still very helpful)

4 l-bodies
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Josh,
I also just put in a DW200 pump in Christofferson's Dad's GLH. Nice and quiet pump compared to what came out of the vehicle.
Todd

Will Martin
12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Just to give Josh some back up it was me he bought it from. I have forwarded him my receipt of the authorized TM vendor I bought it from as proof I didn't get from some place like Ebay Chinese turbo parts. I bought it along with several other parts and never used it. It was brand new in the box and I sold it just as I bought it. I would never have sold it or even accepted it from the vendor if I knew it was a knock-off.

MNmopar
12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
No worries Will, I wasn't going to mention any names or anything because I don't blame you at all. It was all packaged up when I got it and it was purchased from you over a year ago (just never took it out of the box until this week), so I don't hold you responsible at all.

Like I mentioned to you, I can't even say for 100% certainty that it's a knock-off, but I'm weary enough that I'm not willing to use it in my car. The unfortunate part of all of this is now I don't feel comfortable buying walbro's from our vendors either.

With tryingbe and Todd suggesting Deatschwerks, I think I'm going to go that route instead. There's quite a bit of knowledge between those two guys the best I can tell...

Will Martin
12-18-2012, 02:07 PM
:thumb: Sounds good.

chilort
12-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Other options and good fuel pump info here:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69329-Fuel-Pump-Capacity-Article&highlight=

cordes
12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
You could immerse the pump in a bucket of gas and test it that way.

RoadWarrior222
12-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Have a friend video it from a safe distance in case your alligator clip power lashup sparks during this process... 'coz playing with gas is only funny until someone burns their face off... then it's fugging hilarious...

Kerosene is recommended for testing injectors and pumps.... but unfortunately the tone might be a tad different, due to higher lubricity.

MNmopar
12-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Have a friend video it from a safe distance in case your alligator clip power lashup sparks during this process... 'coz playing with gas is only funny until someone burns their face off... then it's fugging hilarious...

Kerosene is recommended for testing injectors and pumps.... but unfortunately the tone might be a tad different, due to higher lubricity.

I'm not going to do that anyway, I've already moved on from that pump.

I guess I don't really understand what running it in a bucket would show me to be honest as I don't have a real one to compare it to. I might be missing something though too.

Either way, I'm going in another direction, pump-wise.

cordes
12-21-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm not going to do that anyway, I've already moved on from that pump.

I guess I don't really understand what running it in a bucket would show me to be honest as I don't have a real one to compare it to. I might be missing something though too.

Either way, I'm going in another direction, pump-wise.

You run the pump in one bucket and pipe it into another. Run the pump at a set PSI for a set time interval then calculate the amount of fluid pumped vs. time and you'll know the flow rate.