PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Capacity Article

contraption22
12-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I found this comparison article interesting. Figured I would share.

http://realstreetperformance.com/store/pages/fuel-pump-comparison-test-5.html

shackwrrr
12-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Damn. I should have bought a stealth.

johnl
12-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks Mike, good stuff.

contraption22
12-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I was thinking of having my tank sumped to use a Bosch 044, but the Aeromotive pump might fit my needs!

tryingbe
12-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm happy with my $99 Deatschwerks. I know I am not going to max it out and 3 year no fault warranty. Not to mention, super quiet.

http://www.deatschwerks.com/products/fuel-pumps/dw300-in-tank-fuel-pump

chilort
12-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Glad I picked up the Aeromotive.

Vigo
12-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Good info. If someone could dig up that old AMS test including pumps in series that would put a whole lot of information in this one thread. I would but im already 10 minutes behind schedule this morning.. gotta get rolling.

RoadWarrior222
12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
I was looking at that and thinking "hey they're all pretty adequate for anything a TM-er does..." then realised, boost spike plus FP drop = dead motor, and look how bad a drop that is on walbros, when you're starting at 55psi instead of assumed 40, so add 15 to boost...

http://www.realstreetperformance.com/ebay/real_street_performance_fuel_pump_test_hp_chart.jp g

Say you're boosting 20 psi and making near 500HP... that would actually put you on the 35psi line with the Walbro.. get a spike and whoops, only 400HP worth of fuel ... bang bang bang.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Or to be fair the Densos.. was just saying walbros because they seem to be more popular here.

shackwrrr
12-18-2012, 10:02 AM
I was looking at that and thinking "hey they're all pretty adequate for anything a TM-er does..." then realised, boost spike plus FP drop = dead motor, and look how bad a drop that is on walbros, when you're starting at 55psi instead of assumed 40, so add 15 to boost...

http://www.realstreetperformance.com/ebay/real_street_performance_fuel_pump_test_hp_chart.jp g

Say you're boosting 20 psi and making near 500HP... that would actually put you on the 35psi line with the Walbro.. get a spike and whoops, only 400HP worth of fuel ... bang bang bang.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Or to be fair the Densos.. was just saying walbros because they seem to be more popular here.

It goes the other way. For every psi of boost, add a lb of fuel pressure. 75 psi is where 20psi of boost would put you.

RoadWarrior222
12-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Yah, but they've taken 40 psi into account already on that table. 35 is 75psi minus 40 base.

tryingbe
12-18-2012, 10:07 AM
I use a 3 bar fuel regulator on my turbo mopar instead of 4 bar.

RoadWarrior222
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Looks like that might be a good plan in general for high-po reliability, less FP more injector... but nothings perfect, I suspect idle quality will be poorer for DDers with that route... also if you're anticipating your future mods too far ahead and go too big too soon, due to lack of demand, the fuel might be cooking in the injectors too long and give you vapor lock issues.... more so than the equivalent lb/hr at 55psi anyway.

contraption22
12-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Looks like that might be a good plan in general for high-po reliability, less FP more injector... but nothings perfect, I suspect idle quality will be poorer for DDers with that route... also if you're anticipating your future mods too far ahead and go too big too soon, due to lack of demand, the fuel might be cooking in the injectors too long and give you vapor lock issues.... more so than the equivalent lb/hr at 55psi anyway.

I agree with you. My cal was burned for 72lb injectors at 55psi base fp. But I then upgraded to 83lb and lowered the fuel pressure for safety. I didn't suffer any noticable idle quality or vapor lock issues. You'd still be moving the same volume through the injector for any given condition, so i don't think fuel will be sitting injector any longer than it would be with smaller injectors.