PDA

View Full Version : Electric Hydraulic Power Steering?

20w/ashelby
12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Has anyone tried this? I've been contemplating my options on my charger. On one hand I want to get rid of the bulky p/s pump setup. On the other hand I really don't want to fight with manual steering on a street car. I work at a honda dealership and a lot of our new cars have electric power steering. This would be an awesome setup but its needs various inputs(steering angle, yaw, vehicle speed, etc) to work. It also needs a pcm to interpret these inputs. A little google search and I found something that DSM and honda guys have been doing. Especially when they put a K-Series in a older civic. The factory P/S pump won't clear the factory hood. Anyway, I found this link: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57308

It seems pretty straight forward. Find the pump assembly, make some lines, re-pin the connectors, wire in a fuse box. The nature of the 2000-2005 mr2 pump allows it to be mounted anywhere. It has a built-in reservoir. The control unit is also built-in. When the vehicle is tracking straight, the pump all but shuts down. There is also the benefit of recovering lost HP. Anyway, I'm going to try this but my car isn't all that close to hitting the road. So I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried this. It seems so simple that someone besides me had to think of it.

rbryant
12-16-2012, 05:23 PM
I have one on the glhs but havent fired it up yet. I do have a bracket for the srt4 engine to put it on the back side. I used the older mr2 pump with the 2.0l dohc reservoir and a custom hihh prrsure line witj an AN6 fitting welded on and an AN6 adapter on the pump. The return line is then tight because it changes from 5/8 to 3/4 and has a double 90.

There is actually no need for the sterring sensors or high/low mode as the pressure is adjustable on the pump. The main thing is that it should use a electric hydraulic friendly fluid like pentosin ch11s rather than normal fluid.

For the wiring I used ABS relays from a ~2000 concorde.

20w/ashelby
12-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I've read that the older MR2 pumps are noisier, that's part of the reason I was looking at the newer ones. Also because the newer pump has the built-in ability to reduce pressure while driving straight. I have seen the pressure adjustment screw on the older ones, but I believe the newer pumps have that as well. I'd really like to see how it works out for you. I think there could be some added steering feel to be gained. Especially with the newer pump which would reduce pressure at higher speeds.

89scottytona
12-17-2012, 12:41 AM
subscribed... eversince putting the holset on the car..... a sacrifice was made..

Reaper1
12-17-2012, 02:01 AM
I'm at some point going to do this mod. I've been thinking and planning it for about 2 years now. It sounds like the newer MR2 pump is the way to go! To get that control on the older pump you have to run the electroics. It was basically a stand alone system, but you had to get the components and wire them up and connect the some way. A steering angel sensor that is supposed to go around the steering shaft. They can be run at 100% duty cycle with no issues, but they draw something like 20amps, are kinda heavy and bulky. The Mini also uses electric steering. Those pumps are supposed to work well, too, but are quite a bit more expensive.

rbryant
12-17-2012, 02:52 AM
I'm at some point going to do this mod. I've been thinking and planning it for about 2 years now. It sounds like the newer MR2 pump is the way to go! To get that control on the older pump you have to run the electroics. It was basically a stand alone system, but you had to get the components and wire them up and connect the some way. A steering angel sensor that is supposed to go around the steering shaft. They can be run at 100% duty cycle with no issues, but they draw something like 20amps, are kinda heavy and bulky. The Mini also uses electric steering. Those pumps are supposed to work well, too, but are quite a bit more expensive.

From what I understand they don't draw 20 amps unless you are turning. If there is no load on the pump it was more like 5-7.

At any rate If I ever get the time to play with the car I will see about putting and amp meter on it. I think if you just had it turn off at 30+ MPH that would do the trick. I have a simple speed sensor monitor from JayCar electronics that is supposed to be able to do that. I drove a shelby charger around for a few weeks without PS and it was fine everwhere except at very low speeds, parking, etc. Of course I was 20 then and was a bit stronger than now. :)

-Rich

shackwrrr
12-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Where is Cordes with his arduino