PDA

View Full Version : Drum nooob here.. what do I need?

Rrider
12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
I have the shoes and spring kit but now I see this underneath.. never worked with hydraulic drums before.

Rrider
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I think i need to order rear wheel cylinder repair kits from rock. Pic shows four rubber parts and a spring. Are they similar left to right? I've worked on a few cable drums before.. other than that only discs.

85boostbox
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
It would just be easier to just order the whole wheel cylinder. And there is no difference. Do one side at a time though so you have a reference of the other wheel.

black86glhs
12-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Just get 2 new wheel cylinders. Should just be the line and 2 bolts holding it to the backing plate. The brake shoes and springs will still be the same. Get 2-3 cans of brake cleaner to clean off the brake fluid from the backing plate, front and back.

Fox
12-11-2012, 04:32 PM
wheel cylinders are cheap best to buy new ones instead of the repair kits, those lines that go in the back tend to snap off if you live in a rusty area, you might need to pick up line from autozone costs like 5$

85boostbox
12-11-2012, 05:03 PM
And as I stated keep one side together and tear the other one down. That way you have a reference for the springs.

85boostbox
12-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Oh and one other thing. This is a VERY common mistake. I am not sure if the minivans are like this but check your new shoe material. If one is shorter than that shoe always goes on the front.

Rrider
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Got it thanks! Wow they are cheap.

I think I will replace the metal lines with one long hose all the way to the wheel. I've already had to re-flange the end when one snapped off.

Fox
12-11-2012, 05:20 PM
the lines at autozone are pretty easy to work with the come pre flared with the fittings already on, just bend and install better than using the flex hose

Turbo Joe
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
when replacing the bake lines, use the nickle/copper stuff.. it costs more but its easy to work with and will not rot or rust for a long long long time..
BTW I'm guessing cmptn stands for Compton, Ca. ? if so then the regular steel line wont rust on you there anyway.. got any pics of your gixxer? I had an slingshot white/blue.. man i miss that bike

Rrider
12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I'll check and see what kind of lines the local parts store has. So you just bend them by hand.. that doesn't cause kinks? I parted the some of the aaarrrrrr out. Not much to look at. I'd like to build it back up as a twelve hundred some day..

turbovanmanČ
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Get grease seals and replace the wheel bearings. Drive the wheels studs back about 1/8" inch, the drum will slide off, then grind out the holes as the wheel studs are staked at the hub, you now have removable drums, :nod: Get a large nut IE front axle, use a wheel nut and pull the wheel studs back out.

Turbo Joe
12-13-2012, 12:37 AM
I'll check and see what kind of lines the local parts store has. So you just bend them by hand.. that doesn't cause kinks?
well I've done it for a looong time so I know how to do it. If your new at it I would say get a brake tubing bender.. commonly available at the parts stores..
oh yea check the backing plates on the drums.. if there is a slot or a rubber plug there take it out and use a brake spoon or a regular screw driver and back off the slack adjusters
it'll make getting the drums off alot easier if there is a wear grove in the drum

turbovanmanČ
12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Sorry, didn't mean replace wheel bearings, inspect and grease, replace if necessary.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

I'll check and see what kind of lines the local parts store has. So you just bend them by hand.. that doesn't cause kinks? I parted the some of the aaarrrrrr out. Not much to look at. I'd like to build it back up as a twelve hundred some day..

The new rubberized metal lines, you can literally bend them in a figure 8. The old style had a spring around it so you could bend them to the shape you want, within reason of course.