PDA

View Full Version : IACV on 87 T-I

tommyturbo
12-10-2012, 12:41 AM
So the 87 Z I picked up, on a cold start the car turns over instantly and then dies. Restart and seems to take a few seconds for the idle to figure it self out. Starts fantastic when warm, but cold idle is a bit ruff. No fault codes, all vac lines look good. Passed smog in cali ok. After searching seems the IACV for the log type turbo I is no longer available? Saw alot of thread pertaining to charge air sensor, or coolant temp sensor, but pretty sure temp sensor is good as fan turns on and off at correct temps....would charge air really cause this on a cold start?

Car had sat for a long time I think before I got it. Is it possible to clean or service the IACV at all (would guess not). I am planning on doing tune up stuff next weekend, and even though I refilled 3/4 tank of fresh gas, I have no idea how old the gas in the tank had been.

I've noticed that my later tuned intake type cars have better cold start smoothness, and my other log type car also has a rougher cold idle. Is it just inherent?

Where should I start or should I wait until I do the maint stuff...

85boostbox
12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
I would try and take the IAC off and clean it. My glht has the same problem. I actually converted my log car over to 87 stuff. There is a tsb on it somewhere. But yea I would clean it first and see what happens.

tommyturbo
12-10-2012, 01:53 PM
What would you suggest for cleaning it? I don't want to damage it.

Tempted
12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Carb cleaner and a Q tip.

tommyturbo
12-15-2012, 10:17 PM
cleaned the IACV and now it starts and idles very nicely! turns over quicker, goes to 2000 for a quick moment, drops down to 1500, and then slowly down to 900. Much smoother and better idle quality. Thanks

cordes
12-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Glad to hear that it solved the problem. Cleaning the AIS is the fist thing I generally do when I have idle problems.