PDA

View Full Version : How to clean this off the turbine shaft?

this.one
12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
HI everyone

was just curious if anyone have idea how to get rid off this burnt oil - its a proper layer - I want to clean it from that groove (below the oil seal - where the arrow points) - its supposed to be empty (well I will have it rebalanced anyway but just wanted to have it clean...

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9169/86244376.jpg

I tried some strong disolvent but its still stuck in it like a rock... any ideas what chemical might worK? or it can be removed only by some tool (its impossibe even by scraping with somethin - didnt want to scratch it thoguh-thats why I am askin..

ShelGame
12-08-2012, 04:38 PM
I've used a dental pick on mine to scrape away that carbon...

Vigo
12-08-2012, 04:41 PM
If it was me id be holding it up to the wire wheel on my bench grinder. My .02.

turbovanmanČ
12-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Bench grinder with a wire wheel or glass bead it.

zin
12-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Stuff like caustic soda/lye used to be used in "hot tanks" to clean all but the iron away, I'm sure it would do a bang-up job on that turbine, but it is not something to be taken lightly, something that works that good on something that stubborn will do you just as much harm to you if proper care is not taken.

Don't do anything you are not comfortable doing.

Mike

chilort
12-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Scrape, scrape, scrape

Tempted
12-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Drano Kitchen Crystals and about 60 seconds. That's a caustic bath, what I use sometimes to strip aluminum before anodizing.

tryingbe
12-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I'd ask the turbo shop to clean it.

fixit
12-08-2012, 10:09 PM
sea foam (or the walmart version) does a great job on valves-- worth trying

12-08-2012, 10:58 PM
the best thing i found for removing varnish and other deposits was Berkebile 2+2 gum cutter.
just do not let it get in your eyes.

mock_glh
12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Easy-Off oven cleaner might work. If you have a lathe (probably not) or a drill press (maybe?) you could hold it in the chuck and sand it off. Just don't make jaw marks on the shaft journals or you'll destroy the bearings when you run it.

wallace
12-12-2012, 08:12 AM
How about carb cleaner in the pail?

supercrackerbox
12-12-2012, 01:30 PM
That would be my first suggestion. I had some badly carboned valves in my Charger some time ago, and two days in Seafoam didn't even phase them. Overnight in carb dip got them spotless.

RoadWarrior222
12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Drano Kitchen Crystals and about 60 seconds. That's a caustic bath, what I use sometimes to strip aluminum before anodizing.You can get some problems with some of that Drano stuff because it's not straight lye... for one thing it has aluminum chips in it to make it foam and another it has copper sulphate in it, which is a root killer/clearer... those are the blue crystals... and copper sulphate can plate on some metals without a current, so you get a thin copper plating on stuff you're trying to clean, which may or may not be a problem.

zin
12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Red Devil Lye (drain cleaner), 100% lye (sodium hydroxide)...

Mike

4 l-bodies
12-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Take it to someone that has beadblast cabinet. A very fine glass bead, plastic media, or walnut shells would clean that in 30 seconds with no damage to part. How much could that cost a person? My bet is they would do it for free. Then offer to buy them lunch.
Todd

Tempted
12-20-2012, 04:53 AM
You can get some problems with some of that Drano stuff because it's not straight lye... for one thing it has aluminum chips in it to make it foam and another it has copper sulphate in it, which is a root killer/clearer... those are the blue crystals... and copper sulphate can plate on some metals without a current, so you get a thin copper plating on stuff you're trying to clean, which may or may not be a problem.

Yeah I've used the Drano Max Gel with pretty good results as well, the crystals are just the fastest.

RoadWarrior222
12-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Yah, that probably hasn't got so much other crap in.

Paint stripper gel type stuff usually has lye in it too along with other solvents. Then paintbrush cleaner, mineral spirits, varsol, kerosene will probably clean it up with an overnight soak. WD-40 is a better cleaner than it is a penetrant or lube also.

PunKid
12-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Mine was similar, a couple small picks and scrapping will do the trick. I think I finished it off with the wire wheel.