PDA

View Full Version : Some Truly Perfect GLH-S Cars

Tempted
12-02-2012, 02:27 AM
I had an Aurora and was looking up the Series One Supercharged motor for a picture comparison(the Series One used an Oldsmobile Aurora L47 DOHC V8) when I stumbles across this link. About 3/4s of the way down are some minty fresh Shelby cars(an Omni, Charger prototype and Dakota). They might be the cleanest, newest and most perfect Shelby Dodge cars in existence.

http://hoonart.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/august2012-shelbyamerican/

Mods if this isn't the correct area, please forgive me and move it to the correct location. If its a re-post please delete it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8456/7994241310_8b0a555e00_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8174/7994235657_a88b5792d1_o.jpg

GLHNSLHT2
12-02-2012, 02:43 AM
I know the guy that spent $50K to restore/mod the GLHS. It's not factory stock under the hood.

Tempted
12-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Wow I figured it was a life long museum car. The other pictures show it looking like I assume it looked in 1986.

2.216VTurbo
12-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Get it right Jay, it was $53K:D

168glhs1986
12-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I know the guy that spent $50K to restore/mod the GLHS. It's not factory stock under the hood.

Is this the car with srt 4 brakes?

GLHNSLHT2
12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Get it right Jay, it was $53K:D

Oh sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee :)

Is this the car with srt 4 brakes?

yes

cordes
12-02-2012, 12:44 PM
This is the first I've heard of this restoration car. Any more details or pics? I would be highly interested to see them. I was unaware that anyone had spent that kind of money on our cars to date.

rx2mazda
12-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Isnt that the one that Neil did?

cordes
12-02-2012, 04:12 PM

That was nice, but from the progress of it I saw I think I missed something for $53K.

Tempted
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
This is the first I've heard of this restoration car. Any more details or pics? I would be highly interested to see them. I was unaware that anyone had spent that kind of money on our cars to date.

These are the other ones on that page:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8297/7994233373_15b09288b8_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/7994234613_e21fcb1b4d_o.jpg

GLHNSLHT2
12-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Yea Neil did the mechanical and electrical. Some place in Colorado (I think that's where they were) did the body work/rust repair/paint.

cordes
12-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Yea Neil did the mechanical and electrical. Some place in Colorado (I think that's where they were) did the body work/rust repair/paint.

Sounds like I need to get into car restoration.

Tempted
12-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Maybe but I don't think I'd spend 50 grand on a car I couldn't get 15 grand for.

rx2mazda
12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Maybe but I don't think I'd spend 50 grand on a car I couldn't get 15 grand for.

I say the same thing but..........I bought the shell of my car for $600 and have put at least 15x that into it since! Now im rebuilding the motor and head and getting a suspension and cage! $$$$$ All said and done, I will probably have about $10-12K in my $600.00 car. If money was no concern I could easily put $50K in. Hell a good paint job & body could take 10K easy.

plus, annihilating a $100K car with an Omni is priceless!!!!

cordes
12-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I say the same thing but..........I bought the shell of my car for $600 and have put at least 15x that into it since! Now im rebuilding the motor and head and getting a suspension and cage! $$$$$ All said and done, I will probably have about $10-12K in my $600.00 car. If money was no concern I could easily put $50K in. Hell a good paint job & body could take 10K easy.

That's a great point.

Tempted
12-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I used to do that with my 91 R/T. Paint flaking, snowflake wheels on 35psi. The most memorable moment was an LT4 Camaro who yelled(sarcastically) "yeah that's beast!" laughing with his buddies. I let him launch, I rolled out at 1/4 throttle. At about 30mph I went WOT and shot around him like he was tied to stump. Got back to the parking lot, he was almost demanding me to pop the hood. I kinda lied, told him it was stock just to rub salt in the wounds, and never opened it. Back when I lived in Houston there were parking lot meets almost every Friday, Saturday and Sunday around the city. Some of my favorite times were spent rag dolling "built" RWD V8 cars out there. Unfortunately it doesn't take long until they know your car and avoid it. Takes some of the fun out of things.

contraption22
12-02-2012, 11:34 PM

True, but I would still rather have the $50k. lol

168glhs1986
12-03-2012, 12:48 AM

53k seems a bit high, not sure im believing that #. To each his/her own but i would never build an upside own garage queen. Like many people who own these turbo dodge cars, ive got a lot more into mine than its worth, but like Carroll said, you get paid back when your behind the wheel and driving.

supercrackerbox
12-03-2012, 01:47 AM
I kinda lied, told him it was stock just to rub salt in the wounds, and never opened it.

That's exactly why I'm going to great lengths to make my GLHS look as factory as possible so I actually can pop the hood. Naturally, anyone who is familiar with these cars could point out a lot of obvious mods, but the average Joe wouldn't know a thing.

85boostbox
12-03-2012, 06:28 AM
If that is the car that Neil did it was a excellent restoration. Not believing the 53k either but I am not one to ask. To each there own. But on top of that that car is nowhere near factory correct. It was converted to a sbec car and runs off of a VNT turbo. If this is the car that Neil did.

Tempted
12-03-2012, 03:45 PM
That's exactly why I'm going to great lengths to make my GLHS look as factory as possible so I actually can pop the hood. Naturally, anyone who is familiar with these cars could point out a lot of obvious mods, but the average Joe wouldn't know a thing.

Problem I had is the huge FMIC that you couldn't see from the outside unless you laid on the ground but was brutally obvious when the hood was up. I used black piping on the lower line so it didn't stick out, kinda looked like a radiator hose. The polished Turbonetics housing was also shining bright and everything under the hood was brand new. I'm trying to make my Iroc R/T look like any 1980s FWD hatch. It was just re-painted red. The best part about making these Dodge cars sleepers is that the turbo is almost hidden. Most people, especially the ricers, have only seen cars with the exhaust manifolds on the front so they don't look too much farther. Here in the next week or so I'm going to strip my valve covers and intake manifold and anodize them black. The air filter on my car is mounted between the intercooler out and throttle body in so there isn't an obvious turbo intake.

My plans are a stock appearing BB turbo, injectors, a calibration and port work. I had an electric cut out back in my 91 R/T, and I think I'm going to do that again. Stock sounding exhaust with the cut out closed. I may leave the stock air filter housing bracket on it since it covers up the turbo.

GLHNSLHT2
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
black anodize will turn purple when it get's too hot. Powdercoat won't.

cordes
12-03-2012, 09:06 PM
black anodize will turn purple when it get's too hot. Powdercoat won't.

At what temp does that happen? I know some of the older Bushmaster rifles had that problem, but most everything else I've seen doesnt. Of course that's a different situation vs. cars.

Tempted
12-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Black anodize will also turn purple if you don't let the aluminum build up enough of an anodize layer before you dye it. Can't say I've used an anodized part at super high head but I didn't think the 120 degrees would bother it. I steam seal my stuff over a few hours, been pretty lucky so far in that the colors have always taken well and sealed up tight. I'd think that if the colors were going to change that they would do it at the 300 degrees I seal them with, could be wrong though.

rx2mazda
12-03-2012, 10:56 PM
All my black fuel fittings turned purple and my old WB02 turned purple from sunlight. Good thing I'm a Raven's fan. :D

GLHNSLHT2
12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
yea my FWDP T-stat housing turned purple. My Innovate XD-16 actually turned like a rootbeer color just where the sun directly hits it. Kinda sucks but it kinda looks cool too. I'll probably have them both powdercoated black though in the future. Glad I didn't get black AN fittings. I almost did, I would of been pissed. Are the purple an fittings on your fuel system carroll?

cordes
12-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't have a ton of black AN fittings, but the black ones I have are still black.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Black anodize will also turn purple if you don't let the aluminum build up enough of an anodize layer before you dye it. Can't say I've used an anodized part at super high head but I didn't think the 120 degrees would bother it. I steam seal my stuff over a few hours, been pretty lucky so far in that the colors have always taken well and sealed up tight. I'd think that if the colors were going to change that they would do it at the 300 degrees I seal them with, could be wrong though.

If you can keep the colors consistent you could make some good money refinishing AR upper and lower receivers.

Tempted
12-04-2012, 04:21 AM
I've been doing a bunch of paintball markers as of late. Usually some kind of custom design though. Splash, fades, drawings under the color, etc. I haven't worred about consistent colors because most of what I do is custom and one offs, the people don't mind a shade or two different than the example I gave. I'm still going to anodize a head, pistons and anything aluminum in the top end. Just need to find a good donor that I'm not worried about ruining.

supercrackerbox
12-04-2012, 05:08 AM
The Accufab AFPR on my Charger is purple.

Problem I had is the huge FMIC that you couldn't see from the outside unless you laid on the ground but was brutally obvious when the hood was up. I used black piping on the lower line so it didn't stick out, kinda looked like a radiator hose.

The one major bottleneck in my system I think is going to be the stock intercooler. I've got some ideas to get around that, but we'll have to see what pans out.

Tempted
12-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Use a big turbo diesel intercooler. They just look like radiators or AC condensers to most people.

supercrackerbox
12-04-2012, 05:56 AM
The vast majority of street cars around here are turbocharged. They wouldn't fall for that.

rx2mazda
12-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Are the purple an fittings on your fuel system carroll?

yup :D