PDA

View Full Version : No radio reception with ignition on

shackwrrr
12-01-2012, 06:51 PM
In my van the radio works great when the key is in the acc position. As soon as I turn the ignition to the run position my reception is gone. I've tried both a stock tape player from my shadow, a stock CD player, and a Kenwood head unit. They all suck when the ignition is on. When driving I get a buzzing with RPMs too.
I've tried moving/trying different grounds.
The power comes from factory connectors.
I do have gauges that draw power from the radio connections but they also get power in acc position too.
This is on an 89 caravan.

85boostbox
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Sounds like one of your gauges has a bad ground or you don't have enough grounds running for all of your gauges plus the radio. I would try disconnecting gauges or regrounding them individually to see if your condition improves.

shackwrrr
12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Even with gauges disconnected it still doesn't work.

85boostbox
12-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I would try and take the radio out of the dash still connected and run a ground wire straight to the battery. See what that does.

ShadowFromHell
12-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Ill second the ground to the battery. Had to do the same thing on my old 90 diesel.

shackwrrr
12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Just tried a direct ground to battery, 12gauge wire hooked to the back of the radio all the way to the battery. I also fixed a broken intake ground strap. Still does it.

cordes
12-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Can you think of anything which would be causing inductance in the lines or putting off EM fields near the radio?

ShelGame
12-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Can you think of anything which would be causing inductance in the lines or putting off EM fields near the radio?

Coil wire to an aftermarket tach might do that...

cordes
12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Coil wire to an aftermarket tach might do that...

Holy cow. I just had an idea about basic electrical properties that has some merit. I'll be writing this down in my calendar.

shackwrrr
12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
I've tried to keep all wiring stock on this thing, has a factory teach so no aftermarket. Stock coil, Taylor wires. All engine management wiring is stock. I have a wideband but it is isolated from stock wiring. Aftermarket gauges are EGT and the wideband.

Even with wideband and aftermarket gauges disconnected, it still does it.

wallace
12-03-2012, 08:43 AM
If you disconnect the alternator does it still do it? Have you tried a filter on the power lead to the radio?

shackwrrr
12-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Messed with it the other day and found the noise is coming from the ecu, if I disconnect the 60way or unplug my ostrich it goes away. I don't know if the ostrich is causing it or something is wrong, I tried a cal with "reduce RFI" option ticked and it still did it. I guess I'll listen to CDs for now.

ShadowFromHell
12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Sounds to me like it is ostrich related. Does the wiring for it run near the antenna? The antenna wire is right behind the glovebox so if you are using the glovebox to store it that may very well be your problem. Depending how you ran your wiring for it, it may even be touching the antenna.

shackwrrr
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
The ostrich is in the air tube coming off the smec on the opposite side as the antenna.