PDA

View Full Version : Who want's a log header because I can't keep track so post here thread.

turbovanmanČ
11-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Ok, losing track, so please post in here and I'll keep a tally. Right now, the price is $250 plus shipping for a Dodge or T3 turbo flange.

1)Ajakeski-Next
2)intercooled-maybe
3)Wheming-Shipped.
4)Omniglh134-T3 flange-Shipped and a scammer, piece of crap.
5)tbird232-modifed with an external gate-this cost extra-no rush.
6)onerippinturbo2-Next.
7)Fox-Stock flange.

onerippinturbo2
11-25-2012, 09:43 PM
i'd be in for one simon, when do you figure they will be ready?

turbovanmanČ
11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Not sure, I'll call him in a bit and post up aprox times.

onerippinturbo2
11-25-2012, 10:14 PM
sounds good.

turbovanmanČ
11-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Ok, we can do 2 more in a 2 week time frame, so please post up who can wait or who needs one now.

onerippinturbo2
11-26-2012, 12:48 AM
i can wait simon, no rush for me

Tbird232ci
11-26-2012, 02:53 AM
No rush for me either. I know mine will be a little longer in production anyways with the external gate and T3 flange.

wheming
11-26-2012, 03:20 AM
freed my pm

was time to renew

ajakeski
11-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Mine is going on an 88 swirl head.

Aries_Turbo
11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
you forgot to write down the free one you promised me.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2012, 04:42 PM
you forgot to write down the free one you promised me.

Brian

Oh, right, that's in the other thread, :D

wheming
11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
for my knowledge and future reference, is it possible on one of these to be built with a more common standard T3 flange positioned such that the Ford type turbine housing could be used, and the turbo to be located in the stock location? Or would clocking housings present a fitment issue with like wastegate acuators or something, or would that put the flange where there would be interference concerns with stock intakes?
simply curious about future options for builds since some parts are becoming scarce.

shayne
11-30-2012, 05:41 PM
yup, entirely possible, im doing that right now for another member. regular t3 flange to have the turbo as close to stock as possible, taking into account things like wastegate actuator rods and turbine outlet.

turbovanmanČ
11-30-2012, 07:08 PM
I posted up in the original thread we are looking into for the next batch making a dual flange setup so then you can run any turbo you want, IE Dodge or T3 flange.

boost geek
12-02-2012, 12:00 AM
bolt one onto my head and do a dyno run fo r a comprison:nod:

Reeves
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I believe you are leaving out morrispower.

Badger
12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
I have a question. Does anyone know how these headers compare to ...........say a TU header as far as flow, hp, and fitment. Im looking at an L-body (rampage) T2 application

wheming
12-03-2012, 12:21 AM
I was told a guess from a reliable vendor, and by that estimate it puts it as better than a ported stocker but under the TU stepped header design. And if i recall properly the TU cast header flows better than the TU stainless header.
The hinderance will be the cyl 3-4 intersection where the flows collide. But it still should be a significant improvement over stock, and a moderate improvement over a ported stock manifold.
You do get I think at least 5 coolness points with the purchase and use of one on your car. :D Isn't that right Shayne or Simon?

I don't have a means to flow test this header when it arrives, unfortunately. So we will have to wait for someone to give out some numbers.

shackwrrr
12-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Would a TIII one be a similar price? A little far off for me though, The bare block is still sitting on the engine stand.

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
bolt one onto my head and do a dyno run fo r a comprison:nod:

Might have to do that, :eyebrows:

I believe you are leaving out morrispower.

Got him, but he want's a tube header, these will be looked in Jan after we clear up some of this backlog.

I have a question. Does anyone know how these headers compare to ...........say a TU header as far as flow, hp, and fitment. Im looking at an L-body (rampage) T2 application

These are based on stock dimensions and mocked up on an engine so they will clear an L body etc. All factory lines, exhaust should fit or minor tweaking.

Flow wise, I am sure TU's header flow's more, these are a cheaper alternative to going a proper TU header or full tube header and offer better flow than a stocker.

Would a TIII one be a similar price? A little far off for me though, The bare block is still sitting on the engine stand.

TIII header will be around $500 as it will be a tube header unles you want a log header then we'll have to look into that. PM me if you want to chat about it.

shackwrrr
12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
TIII header will be around $500 as it will be a tube header unles you want a log header then we'll have to look into that. PM me if you want to chat about it.

I was looking at a log for the TIII, just shooting for around 500hp and a log should be fine. Plus I want to run an external wastegate, so a log would make that easier. I will probably run a 12cm holset, a log would help spool that.

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I was looking at a log for the TIII, just shooting for around 500hp and a log should be fine. Plus I want to run an external wastegate, so a log would make that easier. I will probably run a 12cm holset, a log would help spool that.

Ok, I'll chat with Shayne. External gate coming off the log?

shackwrrr
12-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Ok, I'll chat with Shayne. External gate coming off the log?

Yeah, around cylinder 1 or 2. Typical 38mm flange. But I am still probably a year off on getting one. I would use the stock manifold to get it running and have the log match the stocker.

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah, around cylinder 1 or 2. Typical 38mm flange. But I am still probably a year off on getting one. I would use the stock manifold to get it running and have the log match the stocker.

No worries, whenever your ready.

glhs613
01-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Is it too late to add my name to the list? I need one with a T3 flange and could use it as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Steve Coghill

turbovanmanČ
01-14-2013, 03:33 AM
I'll add it. He's finishing up some intakes and I'll post up wait times.

wheming
01-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Simon, do you have any pics of a cut open 1 piece intake?
How much gain is it for your intake mod?
thanks.

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Simon, do you have any pics of a cut open 1 piece intake?
How much gain is it for your intake mod?
thanks.

I'll see if I have anything. It will be a big gain on a modded engine, I/we didn't design the mod, just copied what others have done. Some of the fastest guys have intakes that are similar.

Like the header?

wheming
01-15-2013, 06:17 AM
still waiting to see it! ;-)
not because of you though! It was to get coated and delivered with a large order from another vendor (TU). I expect to have it in the near future.

glhs613
01-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Wayne,

When do you expect to have the header back in your hands? I should be in the Raleigh area pretty soon and would like to swing by and take a look at it if possible.

Steve Coghill

wheming
01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
I'll call Chris for an update. I know it isn't yet in the mail to me by now so the earliest would be at least a week.

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
still waiting to see it! ;-)
not because of you though! It was to get coated and delivered with a large order from another vendor (TU). I expect to have it in the near future.

Gotcha, lol.

Tbird232ci
01-29-2013, 07:03 AM
How are we looking Simon?

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2013, 01:09 PM
How are we looking Simon?

I look marvelous, :p

Shayne is almost caught up with previous orders then yours and another members.

Tbird232ci
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
I look marvelous, :p

Shayne is almost caught up with previous orders then yours and another members.

Been working out I see ;)

Sounds great. Before you ship it, I'll have to hit you up and see if you have some other parts. I just picture you having a shed that when you open the door, a flood of parts comes rushing out of the door.

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Been working out I see ;)

Sounds great. Before you ship it, I'll have to hit you up and see if you have some other parts. I just picture you having a shed that when you open the door, a flood of parts comes rushing out of the door.

Actually its a mezzinine that I know where most of it is and I trip over it all the time when I look for stuff, lol.

Tbird232ci
01-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Man, I had to google mezzinine, I thought it was going to be some crazy Canadian slang term :p

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Man, I had to google mezzinine, I thought it was going to be some crazy Canadian slang term :p

LMAO, yeah, its slang for crack turbo Mopars, :p

Turbo Joe
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM

ROFLMFAO :lol:

wheming
03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Well got this package last night.... and looky what was inside:

That is the log header in front and the TU cast header in back.
TU ports are enlarged by comparison but it also is heavier.
7.6# compared to 11.4#.
Simon & Shayne's piece looks good and it should be a nice improvement over the stock manifold.

ajakeski
04-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Still waiting...

Tbird232ci
04-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Get in line.

black86glhs
04-05-2013, 11:44 PM
This guy Hunter in Indiana wants one.:mad:

ajakeski
04-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Get in line.

I've been in line since November 2012.

wheming
04-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Uh, did I get the only one??? :D
At least it will be put to good use on Slugmobile.

I'm not sure where to put this, but I do have some thoughts to improve the product, not sure how much it would effect the nice price point this is currently at however.

Fitment:
As with any custom part, some fitting work may be required. Since I was getting my header thermal coated by TU's vendor, I didn't want to have to do anything to disturb the coating. In the case of my header, it was very close. Only one bolt hole needed some enlargement. So I think that speaks to some very nice quality! A couple of those exhaust nuts did need to grind some of the flange, since again I didn't want to grind what was coated. But there were only 3 that fell into that category and to varying degree. Again, I think that is decent. So I was able to fit the header without having to grind any of my fancy coating. Very pleased with that!

Build design:
Custom header, even though a log type, but larger internal diameter, smoother internal finish (compared to stock cast manifold), stainless steel so you don't need to worry about rust, and just slightly more than a ported stocker? Win/win/win! This header should easily flow more than the stock, and ported cast manifolds. And it places the turbo in as close to stock position as I can tell. I did have the stainless braided cooling line be just slightly short. But when on the old turbo, it was just barely long enough to install previously. This could also have potentially been resolved by slightly clocking the turbo, but I got a new cooling line made 3/4"-1" longer anyway since I didn't want strain on the line.
As far as the flanges, the head-side flanges can be resurfaced if ever needed. The turbo flange however on mine has bolts welded in the top mounting location as "studs". The bad part is as welded bolts, they can never be removed and have the turbo flange resurfaced.
One design change I would suggest would be to double up the plate on the backside and drill/tap those upper holes for true studs. Bolt holes on the bottom work nice.

I think some of the wait list might want a Ford T3 bolt pattern, that could be very usefully since Chrysler pattern housings are hard to come by these days. In the future I'll look to go that route myself.

Another design option could be to simply use a Tee at the #4 cyl, and locate the turbo flange "downstream" of #4 (more to the drivers side) to have flow more unidirectional. But this may encroach on another vendor's design, not sure. Of course that requires much more custom fitment for the end user.

Build/weld quality:
I don't have much I can say here except very nice work! Welds had good penetration and looks like everything was well laid out.

All in all, I would recommend these for consideration to members. I'll get some in use testing in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can get some track time in before SDAC.

shayne
04-06-2013, 11:20 AM
awesome feedback, thanks. ^ for everyone else im charging as fast as life will allow to accomodate. i am debating whether or not to change the design, and whether it is worth it for me to have any more chrysler style flanges cut, or if it would be better to encourage the customer to use a turbine housing with a more conventional t3 flange.
i feel like a jerk for all the delays, i havent forgotten anyone.

Tbird232ci
04-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm honestly not too upset, which is why I haven't sent you guys any nasty PM's or anything. I know you and Simon both have a normal job and bills to pay. I was grumpy when I replied yesterday as I was at work and didn't feel like working, lol. I appreciate the update.

wheming
04-06-2013, 01:37 PM
No problem Shayne. I had been wanting to post or send some feedback along.

I think this item is worth a bit of wait. But, I can understand being anxious for it if your car is apart and waiting. I've had both of mine apart for like 9 months or so waiting for various parts or services! And sometimes the wait was me for time to work on it. But to think, I could have made a baby faster! :D
But, it will all be worth it if I have them together for SDAC...

Fox
04-06-2013, 10:25 PM
just want to ad a correction , i need a chrysler flange with the one stud left out ( VNT turbo style) on mine, i told simon originally when we talked about it, but he must have forgot to change it in the thread here...

Punish'nRice
04-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I would like to buy one with the dodge flange. Payment ready. Please let me know. Thanks Mahlon

Punish'nRice
04-10-2013, 12:44 PM
awesome feedback, thanks. ^ for everyone else im charging as fast as life will allow to accomodate. i am debating whether or not to change the design, and whether it is worth it for me to have any more chrysler style flanges cut, or if it would be better to encourage the customer to use a turbine housing with a more conventional t3 flange.
i feel like a jerk for all the delays, i havent forgotten anyone.

I hope you cut more Chrysler style flanges. As that is what I need for my Mopar Super60 turbo.

turbovanmanČ
04-12-2013, 03:01 AM
I'm honestly not too upset, which is why I haven't sent you guys any nasty PM's or anything. I know you and Simon both have a normal job and bills to pay. I was grumpy when I replied yesterday as I was at work and didn't feel like working, lol. I appreciate the update.

That's it, yours is getting a 4g63 flange, :p

Seriously though, we are going to talk this weekend and get back on track, I can't thank you guys enough for being patient, so for being patient, the price is going up................................................ .........................

Kidding, ;)

ajakeski
10-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Any update on the exhaust manifolds?

turbovanmanČ
10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Yes, life is a biatch, lol.

Flanges are getting cut next week so we can get back on track. Thanks for being patient guys.

wheming
10-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Did you guys decide or work out any design changes based on the feedback, or my feedback?

Do you guys have access to equipment to plane the mounting surfaces after the welding?
I may actually like another at some point.

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Did you guys decide or work out any design changes based on the feedback, or my feedback?

Do you guys have access to equipment to plane the mounting surfaces after the welding?
I may actually like another at some point.

Sorry, might have missed it, any feedback to make our products better are welcome.

Shayne has a jig and they are full tested before and after welding etc.

wheming
10-18-2013, 01:54 AM
The main suggestion I would have would be to have the top of the turbo flange be threaded holes for studs, not welded bolts.
That way the flange could be trued or refaced down the road.

Mine has a low spot that I'm not sure I got all filled in with copper spray.

I'm very happy with mine otherwise. I did a bit of finish work to it and wish I had some flow numbers to know for sure the improvement.

turbovanmanČ
10-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks, I think we are doing that with the new flanges.

Flanges getting cut tomorrow.

bgbmxer
11-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Can fitment using a ford turbine housing and a 2 piece intake be confirmed? I remember with my stock header the wastegste arm would hit the intake. Could the standard t3 flange be tilted down to compensate?

turbodaytona87
11-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Can fitment using a ford turbine housing and a 2 piece intake be confirmed? I remember with my stock header the wastegste arm would hit the intake. Could the standard t3 flange be tilted down to compensate?

I'm actually glad to hear someone else say that. I have a Ford housing on my turbo, and the wastegate arm hit the runners using a stock manifold. I eventually switched to a reversed actuator, then an external to get around the problem.

bgbmxer
11-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. The ford turbine housing is much more available than a Chrysler .63 but I on a stock header it just doesn't clear a 2pc intake runners. If the flange on the header would be able to be moved downward I think it could work. The oil return might need some modifications and longer oil feed lines and such.

turbovanmanČ
11-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Yes, we did that already with the last batch as I have a 2 piece intake. They flange cutter jacked the price so getting another quote next week, grrr.

bgbmxer
11-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Yes, we did that already with the last batch as I have a 2 piece intake. They flange cutter jacked the price so getting another quote next week, grrr.

Good to here that use already thought of this. Now I can have my super 60 since the Chrysler housing is unobtainium. Now for the price haha

turbovanmanČ
11-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Same price, that hasn't changed, :nod:

Fox
12-04-2013, 02:53 PM
cool, so these are going to be ready soon right ?

turbovanmanČ
12-12-2013, 04:13 AM
I updated the other threads, due to cutting costs, looks like we have to charge $350. So LMK if your still interested.