PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a roof replacement? 2005 Neon minor roll over

guyd_15
11-24-2012, 12:49 PM
I've found an 05 srt 4 with about 20K miles. It was involved in a minor rollover (if such a thing is possible).

I checked it out all 4 doors open and close with good even gaps (except drivers door, however the impact wasn't even enough to push the fender to the door). I don't have a body table to check the datum points, so I used a piece of string and measured along both sides of the car and they measured straight. I also measured the left and right wheel bases and they are indentical.

Is this just a matter of gutting the interior, brace up the body by welding in some tubing and then pulling the doors. I know the factory method method would be replace A pillars, C pillars and reattach at quarters. I thought with the roll over being so minor, it seems as though removing the A pillars and cutting the roof ahead of the B pillar would be a viable alternative. Before joining the sections I would fabricate a flanging tool to provide a 2" overlap. Can I just use body panel adhesive? Or would I also need to utilize plug welds?

I know we have some body men on here, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Guy

supercrackerbox
11-24-2012, 01:20 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?66977-87-GLHS-209-rebuild/page2

BadAssPerformance
11-24-2012, 01:42 PM
if I had a dollar for ever neon SRT4 that had a "minor roll over" ...

pics?

ShadowFromHell
11-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Are you replacing just the skin or the whole roof? Skin is easy, roof structure is a little more involved.

rich tideswell
11-24-2012, 07:25 PM
go ahead and use panel bonding adheisive. id be more concerned about the engine blown due to oil starvation from being run upsidedown, there is not a low pressure cut off switch.

guyd_15
11-24-2012, 07:31 PM
As it looks now, the skin seems most likely. The left front A post seems to need a minor push.

I intend to use a windshield as a template to ensure proper alignment. The total area of roof damage is about 20" X 20". All in the driver's corner of the roof. Which has been pushed down about 4".

I'd appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.

Thanks,
Guy

dixiedodge7369
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
I've replaced many a structural panel on many unibody cars. You just have to remember that the body is the structure. So save your self a lot of time get some 1x1 square tube and weld it in so the body doesn't tweak on you. The roof is a major structure point on a unibody car.

guyd_15
11-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the tip "Dixie". That was my plan, brace the car then remove the skin and see exactly what I have to work with. Hopefully, once the skin is off I can see what I have to work with. Keeping my fingers crossed only the left A post needs to be pushed back inti position.

Thanks,
Guy

spoolinhard
11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Take it to a frame shop. Skin it yourself. You can brace it up, IMO that is unnecessary if you are only reskinning it. I will be doing this eventually to my srt. I always wanted one with a sunroof and ended up with a hardtop. Picked up a donor roof and was planning on skinning it. Alot of work but pretty straight forward. they just kind of fall into place providing that the frame pull was done by a professional.