PDA

View Full Version : 3Bar Map on 2Bar Cal is working!

glhs875
08-14-2006, 07:35 PM
On my combo, I ran out of fuel and alky @ 24psi. I was running 42lb(+20%'s) injectors on a custom 2bar cal, but the fueling on the cal was still stock 86T1, only the timing and some other things had been changed. So I thought I would try the same 2bar cal, but with a 3bar map and 53lb (+40%'s) injectors. It's working great. I had to set the fuel pressure @ 49psi static, put in a few bleeds, some on the fuel pressure regulator and one on the map, as the fueling was a little lean in vacum and decel, and a little too rich for me as the boost would ramp up. I also had to drop the alky from a 15gal per nozzle to a 10gal per hr. Which is fine, because a 15 gal nozzle is really dumping some alky in. My combo seems to really like the more agressive timing the 3bar map gives to the same boost pressure also. It seems like it made the turbo spool better along with more power. We will find out for sure at the track this weekend if the car is actually making more power. At the very least, I now have fuel for at least 30psi!!!

cordes
08-14-2006, 10:43 PM
I take it you don't have a burner?

glhs875
08-15-2006, 06:43 AM
I take it you don't have a burner?

No I don't. But I do have someone that burns chips for me. But, as the way it stands right now, I may not need a new chip burnt. That's how close to being perfect for my combo it really is. I like running lower fuel pressure than 55psi static, it's easier on the pump, and the fuel pump will be able to flow more fuel at a lower pressure. I may need a little tweaking to the fuel under vacum, mainly around idle. It will cruise in stoich just fine, and throttle response is very good, and in boost things are great. And the timing seems to work good as well, no knock of any kind that I can tell, and I've already got the boost set for a high of 24psi. And the fuel curve is good at all boost levels in between, at both part and WOT throttle. All around, my car feels stronger than it did, and it was far from a slouch before! It's really working!

Una
08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
I can't say anything nice about what you're doing. I can only make a prediction about how fast you are going to melt or shatter pistons. The hard/expensive part was the 3bar map and +40's.. Now you're just being... Well, never mind, the mods will censor me if I go there.
Good luck.

MiniMopar
08-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Your doing is definitly "Gus-style", which worked fine for him. While I agree with Brian that you can probably do much better with a proper cal, as long as you properly instrument things like your A/F, you should be OK. If you are going to go that route, you may want to follow his advice about reading plugs, etc.

Have fun...it is a hobby afterall.

glhs875
08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I can't say anything nice about what you're doing. I can only make a prediction about how fast you are going to melt or shatter pistons. The hard/expensive part was the 3bar map and +40's.. Now you're just being... Well, never mind, the mods will censor me if I go there.
Good luck.

I know, I'm being an idiot!!! Even worse. I have a very efficient system (low charge temps) plus alcohol injection. I set the alcohol to activate at a lower psi level (now 12psi) to ward off detonation. And it progresses the amount injected all the way to 30psi. It was activating at 17psi. Before I did this I did a map voltage comparison check 2bar vs. 3bar at many different psi levels. By 24 to 26psi the timing curve has caught up to the 2 bar cal when I was using the 2bar map sensor. In other words it's virtually the same as before, at this point. Plus I have an MSD box that I can put some additional timing retard in if need be. I'm actually running things a little richer than I was before at 24psi, because I now have more fuel I can put to the engine. I have a G head and 7.9 compression. My engine likes an agressive curve on the timing. Trust me I have been going slow and keeping a check on things! I here no knock, and I have a known good knock sensor hooked up. I verfied it working with a scanner.

turbovanmanČ
08-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Meh, I did that trick this year to se what would happen. I had a custom 3 bar cal and +40's. I was looking for some fuel economy so I banged in the stock computer. It ran but it was lean as hell in the midrange and I had to add alot of fuel up top but it worked. I got 1 mpg more I believe but the risk wasn't worth it.

glhs875
08-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Your doing is definitly "Gus-style", which worked fine for him. While I agree with Brian that you can probably do much better with a proper cal, as long as you properly instrument things like your A/F, you should be OK. If you are going to go that route, you may want to follow his advice about reading plugs, etc.

Have fun...it is a hobby afterall.

I've been reading the plugs (look great) and also 02 voltage. I know what 02voltage was working fine before (many, many passes and testing before this change) and that's what Iam shooting for. All but the idle being a little iradict at times, but livable, things seem to be fine. I'll see how it does on the long haul! The cal adaptabilty helps alot to correct things at part throttle.

glhs875
08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Meh, I did that trick this year to se what would happen. I had a custom 3 bar cal and +40's. I was looking for some fuel economy so I banged in the stock computer. It ran but it was lean as hell in the midrange and I had to add alot of fuel up top but it worked. I got 1 mpg more I believe but the risk wasn't worth it.

Mine was the opposite. Was very rich in boost and up top. To the point of missfiring at times. And to lean at idle and decel.