PDA

View Full Version : 88 shelby Z's fate. You help!!

Young Gun
11-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Sorry if its the wrong section... I've been dormant for awhile with a bad head and a unwillingness to do anything. Quick background as to why I'm having trouble.

-Wanted a 2nd car to use to deliver pizza.
-Bought this 88 shelby z with little knowledge about these cars and not alot of wrench time.
-Had a bearing issue, Yeah didn't know about it upon purchase
-With help of a local I got a 2.5 T1
-Dropped that in with the t2 top end and a MBC and a auto 2.5 t1 smec
-Lots of detonation with maybe 600 miles before i had bad valve train noise + Found out the fuel pump was running only 40-45 psi at idle
-Cam journal wear+bad valve seats. Just bought a new roller head for roughly the same $$

When I bought the head the plan was to do the 20 psi mod with the +20's, LC-1, Walbro 255, 2.5 in exhaust that I already had. Still need the computer (which ever one I need idk which), AFPR then I'm unsure of the rest as its starting to add up to more then I want to spend. On top of that the other day I went out to PB blast the gas tank straps and I poked a hole through the frame or the pinch weld area near the rear wheel. I got severely depressed at the rust rate of this car as it has the typical fred flintstone going on on the driver side and just the overall grossness underneath the whole car.

Planned on fixing it and driving it a bit and getting a reliable car that isn't rusted this bad. I guess my question is what would you do? or what are my options as it ran with the 2.5 t1 with detonation and I don't REALLY want to sell it like that.

other negatives I have going on or more work to do
-NY winter sucks working in outside
-Probably needs the front pass. side wheel bearing done although I could sell it with this
-Non turbo pass. side long cv axle, I have a intermediate shaft with cv shaft just not on there
-more rust
-Need to Frankenstein the exhaust some or paid to get it so it doesn't bang around everywhere
-Driver side T top black trim that is on the back side of the door is broken off
-I'm demotivated with this specific car yet I still love them as a whole
-Crappy tires on eh looking 15"ers and the stock crabs have dry rotted tires on them so buying tires either way and it'll cost $$ which I'm trying to minimize
- Says in the 20 psi mod to get new fuel lines.. steel or rubber? Cause idk if I wanna tackle the steel lines especially with all the rust( won't need to worry if i choose not to do 20 psi mod)
-God knows if anyone read this far in my long rant.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. Just want to figure out what I'm going to do.

5sp. mini
11-20-2012, 06:57 AM
you can run 215-205/65r15 on there there cheaper than 225/50r15

Reaper1
11-20-2012, 11:09 AM
You don't need new fuel lines for 20psi. The ONLY reason I'm running a larger return line is because the stock one had an issue someplace and I couldn't turn the base fuel pressure down far enough. However, if there is a lot of rust, then you'll probabably want to replace them.

Rust sucks as a whole. If you don't have the time/patience to mess with it, then it is probably best to try and find a different car. I don't know whether it is worth saving that car or not, and I don't know if you're willing to spend the time to strip it and sell off the good parts. That *might* be your best option, however.

I don't advocate killing these cars as a rule, however there is a point where it is a questionable quest to keep one alive unless you REALLY want to.

Having a bad experience with a particular car can mess up your view of the entire hobby (not just these cars), so I'd say if you're just getting into these, which it seems you are, find a better example to start with. You'll have a better time because you'll be able to drive it and experience it, instead of working on it without being able to drive it. Well...it is a TD, so that might happen anyway! LOL .... JK. Get a good one, do stuff correctly, and it will reward you with a lot of fun and a smile on your face you can't wipe off with a brillo pad! :D

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Rust is a killer, so really, you have to figure out if the rust is fixable or if you can leave it. That's basically what it boils down too.

Young Gun
11-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the input. Just going to put it back to stock by putting the head on and fixing the fuel pump so it runs good.

Now for another question. I dont really want to drop the tank(or sag it as some people say they have done). So could I put a pump inline(before or after?) the fuel filter? or should I just suck it up and drop the tank? Never dropped a tank before but I've read some threads on here.

Reaper1
11-21-2012, 05:27 PM
If the pump is not working in the tank, then it will create a plug in the system. You have to drop the tank... sorry. :(

john1320
11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
If the pump is not working in the tank, then it will create a plug in the system. You have to drop the tank... sorry. :(
Yes he is right, I just had to do the same on mine, sight unseen. It is very easy to drop, just take your time and unplug/cap your fuel lines and unplug the sending unit and pump electrical lines. I usually back the rear of car up on small ramps to do this, and use a small "helper" jack for the tank to rest on. Use plenty of penetrant spray on the strap bolts, zip them off then lower with the jack and done.

85boostbox
11-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Jack yep left rear of car and take pump out like that. No dropping or anything. Takes a little more patience but easier.

Young Gun
11-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Both bolts for the straps broke off. Then Trying to get the fuel pump lock ring off I poked a hole in the gas tank due to rust. I can't win!

Waiting on a new tank now.

Reaper1
11-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Ouch! :(

Young Gun
04-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Taken more time then I would have liked but she is alive! She is back in the garage though. Leaking pretty bad from the turbo oil feed line near the side of the head where the rubber portion of that line is. The coolant line above it might be leaking as well.

While I have a love-hate...more hate relationship with this car I have learned so much from it that I can hardly call it a bad experience unless we are talking financially lol. Also a big thank you to this forum for being around and willing to help new people.

Reaper1
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Good to hear it's running! Save up some $$$ and get the braided turbo lines. You won't regret it! :thumb:

Young Gun
04-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Already ordered :thumb: