PDA

View Full Version : Father's 96 Caravan no-start, 3rd time now

john1320
11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Have gone through cables and replaced NSS already. Had him go up column check for any obvious wire issues, no luck. Starts very randomly, but has been stubborn enough to leave folks stranded at church even with jump assist. Battery, alt, starter, relay all fine checked. Any known issues similar to this? I'm stumped.
Update: found out there is an ignition starter switch (column mounted) that had not been checked. For now will swap this weekend and see if that was our culprit.

john1320
11-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Swapped, still have no starts. >.< We must have a bad ground somewhere we cannot see. I had popped the e-brake release, and it started on next try. We will pull the lower metal guard off and have at the huge fuse/relay bulkhead box soon as time allows.

shadow88
11-17-2012, 09:22 PM
How did you check the starter?

john1320
11-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes, every component working from starter to cables to PDC and pdc relay then ign module at column thusfar.

shadow88
11-17-2012, 09:33 PM
What does it do when it doesn't start? Any noises? Does it crank, but not start, or ??

john1320
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Isolated non-start, non-crank to steering column. He says he can move the steering wheel and /or gear selector and it would fire off 3 out of 5 trys. He lost daylight and had to call it a day at that point. All relays energize so i'm stumped at thinking it's a ground there we must locate

shadow88
11-20-2012, 09:21 AM
When it's a no crank, is there any noise? No click, no nothing? Also, 3 speed or 4 speed?

RoadWarrior222
11-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Has that one got a brake/shifter interlock cable?? If so check it for adjustment.

shadow88
11-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Has that one got a brake/shifter interlock cable?? If so check it for adjustment.

How would that prevent the van to start?

RoadWarrior222
11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
it's usually tied to the ignition switch also... but I guess there could be just mechanical ones.

john1320
11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure what i would be looking at, but i am willing to track it down

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

When it's a no crank, is there any noise? No click, no nothing? Also, 3 speed or 4 speed?
3 speed. Only noise is the circuit energizing (relays)

shadow88
11-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Then I might want to suspect the neutral safety swith on the transmission based on what you have described. As long as you're not hearing the main solenoid on the starter energizing and only the low current relays and such...

You can temporarily ground the center pin of the neutral safety switch. Temporarily tie into the middle wire and run the wire to ground. This wire is normally grounded in neutral or park only.

DISCLAIMER!!! The vehicle will be able to start in any gear once this is done. Normally not a big deal because you always leave it park, but it's possible to start in reverse or drive.

If the intermittant starting problem goes away , then you probably have a slightly misadjusted shift cable.

RoadWarrior222
11-21-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure what i would be looking at, but i am willing to track it downWell if you get into the back of the ignition switch and there's a cable coming in there, screw with it, if not, don't worry about it, they might not have that setup... if it's the ignition switch in the column, try to avoid getting a "Standard Motor Products" replacement... I've used them on other applications and they don't seem to last very long.

john1320
11-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Then I might want to suspect the neutral safety swith on the transmission based on what you have described. As long as you're not hearing the main solenoid on the starter energizing and only the low current relays and such...

You can temporarily ground the center pin of the neutral safety switch. Temporarily tie into the middle wire and run the wire to ground. This wire is normally grounded in neutral or park only.

DISCLAIMER!!! The vehicle will be able to start in any gear once this is done. Normally not a big deal because you always leave it park, but it's possible to start in reverse or drive.

If the intermittant starting problem goes away , then you probably have a slightly misadjusted shift cable.

NSS was replaced straight away, as described on first post. I can adjust the shift cable on Thanksgiving (glad you mentioned), since it's of course hit and miss starts.

turbovanmanČ
11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Its either a column issue or a shifter adjustment, the fact he moves or jiggles the steering column points in that direction.

john1320
11-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Its either a column issue or a shifter adjustment, the fact he moves or jiggles the steering column points in that direction.
Okay everyone, problem solved! It was at the column, and it was in fact.... the positioning of the primary ignition switch. OWNERS BEWARE! Chrysler being the corner cutters here and there, decided that the switch be held on by only ONE small screw. This screw is it's ground point as well, and goes into a tiny peg cast into column upper section. (I have a pic i will try and post)
The post had been broken by someone previously, so we thought HEY, that's our issue! Well, no, it wasn't. When he and I bonded the peg and installed the new switch, I wanted to keep it's position matched to the one we pulled. That was the mistake! We did not have it clocked high enough (on the pigtail end) to allow the switch full turn (we're talking a couple mm). Amazes me how it was off just a hair preventing starts and causing chaos.

john1320
11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
wow, i can't upload pics, how nice :(

turbovanmanČ
11-27-2012, 01:36 AM
What do I win? Glad you found it. :nod:

wow, i can't upload pics, how nice :(

Use photobucket, or become a member again.

john1320
11-27-2012, 07:28 PM
What do I win? Glad you found it. :nod:

Use photobucket, or become a member again.

You win Obama-care! oops, wait you already have a version of that.. :eyebrows: Yea, i do need to re-up asap, and show these pics

john1320
11-28-2012, 08:53 PM
here are the pics for reference..426784267942680
you can see how we tried to keep it centered like the original, which was the problem. He removed one of the "shims", and now its happy. :)

john1320
12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
update, the whole assembly broke and left them stuck at home again. The column was opened up and starter switch removed. Upon inspection, it seems that the tiny shaft and cam broke apart, as well as the column mounting post. (tiny) He now has left the switch to hang back and uses a screwdriver to start. I recall that a few members here had to wire in a push button setup. We wish to do the same. Does someone have a link to that older "how-to" thread?

Thanks!