PDA

View Full Version : Confused with MPTune

1984rampage
11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Ive just started getting into doing my own cals. Downloaded MPTune and have been playing around with the program a little to get used to everything. One thing I cant seem to figure out is what to do when the calibration is done and ready to be written to the chip. How do I compile the calibration into a .bin file? And how do I get the lst file to import into MPScan?

If someone could help me out with this stuff I would really appreciate it

turbovanmanČ
11-14-2012, 03:18 PM
You don't compile into a bin file, that's the difference between MPtune and Dcal, you simply save the cal, compile it then hit the burn or load file button.

1984rampage
11-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Oh ok, makes a little more sense now.. How do you get the "lst" file to import into MPScan?

turbovanmanČ
11-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Oh ok, makes a little more sense now.. How do you get the "lst" file to import into MPScan?

That I don't know.

ShelGame
11-14-2012, 08:26 PM
You don't compile into a bin file, that's the difference between MPtune and Dcal, you simply save the cal, compile it then hit the burn or load file button.

I think you mean you don't edit a bin file. Though, you can actually do that, too, with MP Tune.

turbovanmanČ
11-14-2012, 08:35 PM
I think you mean you don't edit a bin file. Though, you can actually do that, too, with MP Tune.

Maybe I got tpl and bin files mixed up, lol. I thought Dcal modded the bin file and MP modded the tpl file?

GLHNSLHT2
11-14-2012, 11:11 PM
it does, but you have to open the bin file to flash it to the ECU.

ShelGame
11-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Maybe I got tpl and bin files mixed up, lol. I thought Dcal modded the bin file and MP modded the tpl file?

It can actually edit both, but the preferred method is editing the .tpl and re-building the cal.

In short, D-Cal edits the .bin file directly using a .tbl file to define where the table data is. The .bin file is the file that is loaded onto the chip and used by the ECU.

MP Tune edits the .tpl file (calibration data only and definitions), then compiles with the .asm file (assembly source code) to create a new .bin file + a .mpt file. You can then edit the .bin directly using the .mpt. However, the changes to the .bin+.mpt will not be saved back to the .tpl. Which is why editing the .tpl is the preferred way.

1984rampage
11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
So where do you get the .asm file to compile with the .bin file?

turbovanmanČ
11-15-2012, 03:31 AM
It can actually edit both, but the preferred method is editing the .tpl and re-building the cal.

In short, D-Cal edits the .bin file directly using a .tbl file to define where the table data is. The .bin file is the file that is loaded onto the chip and used by the ECU.

MP Tune edits the .tpl file (calibration data only and definitions), then compiles with the .asm file (assembly source code) to create a new .bin file + a .mpt file. You can then edit the .bin directly using the .mpt. However, the changes to the .bin+.mpt will not be saved back to the .tpl. Which is why editing the .tpl is the preferred way.

Ok, thought that's what I remembered but you did it with more detail, :nod:

Its in Rob's templates.

ShelGame
11-15-2012, 08:04 AM

It comes in the same .zip as the Turbonator codes.

wowzer
11-15-2012, 11:55 AM
... And how do I get the lst file to import into MPScan?

here is a video i did some time back. see if that helps you with mpscan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNRqCiro-lE

1984rampage
11-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes that helps quite a bit! When I go to compile the cal in MPTune, it doesnt work. A box pops up and sais to select an assembly file of which there is nothing to choose from. In your video when you hit compile a black screen comes up for a second and then the tune is separated into the different files. That doesnt happen for me.

Any advice?

1984rampage
11-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Actually I think Ive got it figured out. Will report back later

turbovanmanČ
11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Did you select what template to use!

1984rampage
11-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Did you select what template to use!

What do you mean?

turbovanmanČ
11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
What do you mean?

When you start a new cal, you have to pick what template you use, IE 2.2 TII, or 2.5 t1, auto, manual etc.

wowzer
11-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes that helps quite a bit! When I go to compile the cal in MPTune, it doesnt work. A box pops up and sais to select an assembly file of which there is nothing to choose from. In your video when you hit compile a black screen comes up for a second and then the tune is separated into the different files. That doesnt happen for me.

Any advice?

did you copy the template you are working on into a different directory (or save it to a different directory)? if so you need to also copy the corresponding .asm file. by default it looks for an asm file in the current directory. when you get the screen that asks for an asm file you could browse for it (if its in another directory), but its much easier to just copy it in with the templates.

turbovanmanČ
11-15-2012, 04:17 PM
did you copy the template you are working on into a different directory (or save it to a different directory)? if so you need to also copy the corresponding .asm file. by default it looks for an asm file in the current directory. when you get the screen that asks for an asm file you could browse for it (if its in another directory), but its much easier to just copy it in with the templates.

I had that problem too, seemed to crop up in MpTune but not MPTuner.

1984rampage
11-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Yep, that turned out to be my issue. Had the .asm file somewhere else.

Thanks for the help guys

jonnymopar
10-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead. I've got a couple of cals that I want to make into burnable .bin files. I have the cal files and the newest .asm file for a SMEC in the same directory. I keep getting "major error" when compiling. It says to refer to the .lst file, but it is HUGE and I have no idea what I'm looking for. Little help?

ShelGame
10-25-2014, 10:25 PM
In MP Tune, there's a menu option for 'Erorrs'; select the compile errors. It will give you a precise list. Post that list and I can help you.

Most likely, your template is older than the .asm is setup for. Probably has some missing/imcompatible table definitions.

jonnymopar
10-26-2014, 08:58 AM
This is the error I'm getting:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/jonnymopar/mptune/major_error.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jonnymopar/media/mptune/major_error.jpg.html)

But after that error comes up, the "Errors" menu returns these:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/jonnymopar/mptune/cal_no_errors.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jonnymopar/media/mptune/cal_no_errors.jpg.html)
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/jonnymopar/mptune/compile_no_errors.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jonnymopar/media/mptune/compile_no_errors.jpg.html)

The cal file is based on one that you had given me last October. Since then, boost control has been change to T1 style, and the first three error masks are now set to 16, 17, and 18 respectively (to try to eliminate a check engine light from using hi-Z injectors). I'm attempting to use v19.5 of the code base to see if I can get computer-controlled boost working.

ShelGame
10-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Hmm, OK. Post the .lst file. I'll check it out.

jonnymopar
10-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Ok, so see if I'm looking at this correctly. As it says in the message, look in "T-SMEC_v19.lst". I saw another file called "T-SMEC_v19.err" that contained the following:

?ASxxxx-Error-< > in line 10202 of C:\Users\User\Documents\cals\T-SMEC_v19.asm
<u> undefined symbol encountered during assembly

So I looked at line 10202 of the .lst file:

u D3B1 1F 00 00 01 [ 7]10202 brclr 0x00, X, #opt_BangBang, StoreSparkCutCounter

The bang-bang option was introduced in July of this year, so the calibration I have definitely pre-dates that. I think it is an issue with the version of the template, as you mentioned. Next thing to try is transferring all the settings to a new template without screwing everything up. Can you tell I'm new at this??

ShelGame
10-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Ok, so see if I'm looking at this correctly. As it says in the message, look in "T-SMEC_v19.lst". I saw another file called "T-SMEC_v19.err" that contained the following:

So I looked at line 10202 of the .lst file:

The bang-bang option was introduced in July of this year, so the calibration I have definitely pre-dates that. I think it is an issue with the version of the template, as you mentioned. Next thing to try is transferring all the settings to a new template without screwing everything up. Can you tell I'm new at this??

Whoa! You don't have to copy over your cal. If that's the only error you get, it's an easy fix. Just copy this OPTN2 data over the one in your template (using plain-text editor like Notepad, it should be near the top) ...

OPTN2_CalCustomOptionConfigFlags2:
;mpgrp 0_-_Setup\A_-_Cal_Configuration\
;mptbladdr 0x02C9
;mptbltype 5
;mpsubtype n
;mptbllname CalCustomOptionConfigFlags2
;mptblcname OPTN2
;mpxaxis IN 0 255 X
;mpyaxis OUT 0 255 Y
;mptbldesc These_are_options_available_to_enable_in_this_cust om_codebase.
;mpchoices Spark-based_Rev_Limiter Fuel-based_Rev_Limiter Launch_Control Bang_Bang Bit4 Anti-Lag_Timing T2_Boost_Control WB-2-NB_Conversion
.byte 0x05 ;Point 1
opt_WB2NB = $%10000000 ; Internal WB to O2 sensor conversion
opt_T2BC = $%01000000 ;
opt_AntiLag = $%00100000 ;
opt_bit4 = $%00010000 ;
opt_BangBang = $%00001000 ; use bang-bang style rev limiter when enabled
opt_StageLim = $%00000100 ; Suppress the EMR (Emiss Maint Reminder) Code
opt_FuelRevLim = $%00000010 ; Use the fuel-based rev limiter
opt_SprkRevLim = $%00000001 ; Use the spark-based rev limiter

... and save. You will then need to go in to MP Tune and setup the flags again to your liking.

jonnymopar
10-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Nice! That sounds way easier. I'll hopefully get a chance to try it out this week.