PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up the Boostbutton USB cable.

GLHNSLHT2
11-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Anyone know where to get some instructions?? I thought it was posted somewhere but can't find it.

1BADVAN
11-10-2012, 01:43 AM
http://www.boostbutton.com/catalog/userdoc.php ??

GLHNSLHT2
11-10-2012, 01:49 AM
been there already, nothing on how to wire it up.

roachjuice
11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
What is it?

1BADVAN
11-10-2012, 11:32 AM
been there already, nothing on how to wire it up.
If you have a cable he built the instructions are there it is called "adding a pin" that's for flashing to datalog it just plugs in.

22shelby
11-10-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/knowledge.php?title=Calibrations:Index

GLHNSLHT2
11-10-2012, 12:39 PM
No none of those have what I'm looking for

http://www.boostbutton.com/catalog/images/SCICable.jpg

See the small circuit board at the end of the cable with the 3 male spades on it. I need to know where those go. And where does the red wire go? Cause as far as I know and have done the bootstrap power wire has always been separate from the flash cable.

The flash cable I'm using now has all 4 wires going to the SCI connector in the car. And the power wire for bootstrap mode to the SMEC is it's own circuit.

BaxterStockman
11-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't what it's like on the SMEC, but on the SBEC, the SCI connector is plugged into a "dummy" plug lashed to the bundle of wires exiting the SBEC case.

That's the SCI connector and the BB cable bundled up in friction tape, and the dummy plug right nearby.

GLHNSLHT2
11-10-2012, 01:06 PM
so it just is supposed to plug right into the SCI port? then where's the red wire go?

BaxterStockman
11-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Whoops, I DNRTFQ (did not read the friggin' question). The instructions are posted in the KC as a .pdf. Here"s the link: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/knowledge.php?title=Calibrations:Flashing-a-Modified-SMEC-or-SBEC

The BB cable also plugs into the SCI connector, and there's only one orientation that works.

Also, the red wire should be connected to a constant 12v source (easiest way to do this is probably to splice it into the cigarette lighter wire at the fuse block), with a switch between the source and the SCI board. I think for SMECs that the proper switch is a regular old toggle, but check the instructions.

(EDIT: 1BADVAN had it right in his post; the .pdf is at BoostButton.com under the name "Flashing the BB Module".)

ShelGame
11-10-2012, 06:10 PM
so it just is supposed to plug right into the SCI port? then where's the red wire go?

The red wire is for bootstrapping an SBEC. If you have a SMEC, it doesn't get connected to anything. Just tape it out of the way.

As already mentioned, the circuit board plugs directly into the SCI port.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Also, the red wire should be connected to a constant 12v source (easiest way to do this is probably to splice it into the cigarette lighter wire at the fuse block), with a switch between the source and the SCI board. I think for SMECs that the proper switch is a regular old toggle, but check the instructions.

Yes, but only for the SBEC. For the SBEC, it needs to be a momentary pushbutton.

GLHNSLHT2
11-10-2012, 10:10 PM
THANK YOU ROB!!! I wanted to clarify before doing anything. I didn't know as my old serial cable setup has 4 wires not 3.

Now, since I'll be more than likely setting up one of these cables on a friends SBEC 89 CSX the red wire get's connected to a constant 12v? with a push button to interupt that when you flash it?

ShelGame
11-10-2012, 11:03 PM
THANK YOU ROB!!! I wanted to clarify before doing anything. I didn't know as my old serial cable setup has 4 wires not 3.

Now, since I'll be more than likely setting up one of these cables on a friends SBEC 89 CSX the red wire get's connected to a constant 12v? with a push button to interupt that when you flash it?

Correct. Of course, if you have no plans to install a flash module and re-flash it, you don't have to connect the red wire to anythign on the SBEC cars, either...

BaxterStockman
11-11-2012, 12:28 PM
The red wire is for bootstrapping an SBEC. If you have a SMEC, it doesn't get connected to anything. Just tape it out of the way. As already mentioned, the circuit board plugs directly into the SCI port. ---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ---------- Yes, but only for the SBEC. For the SBEC, it needs to be a momentary pushbutton. Ah yes, my memory failed me. You do have to apply 12v to one of the 60-way connector pins for the SMEC, though, right? Assuming you want to flash over the SCI cable?

GLHNSLHT2
11-11-2012, 12:46 PM
yes pin #11 get's 12v for flashing, 12v+9v for reading a stock SMEC.

bfarroo
11-11-2012, 01:11 PM
For the SBEC i got a cigarette lighter plug and wired a pushbutton inline with it. Plug it in to the lighter and your ready to go.

ShelGame
11-11-2012, 01:40 PM
For the SBEC i got a cigarette lighter plug and wired a pushbutton inline with it. Plug it in to the lighter and your ready to go.

That's a good idea. And non-permanent, too, if you have more than 1 SBEC car...

bfarroo
11-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah I have a flashable SMEC in my spirit so I use the cable on both cars. I have a toggle switch wired in perminently on the spirit in the glove box. Tied into the dome light power wire and run to the smec pin. worked out well.