PDA

View Full Version : 84 600 starter engages intermittantly while driving (still not solved) PLEASE READ

guyd_15
11-03-2012, 03:52 PM
I still havent been able to resolve this problem.

1. Initial start key turns started fine car starts fine

2. Intermittantly starter engages while driving

3. Replaced starter relay

4. Am taking starter for test (Doubtful this is problem)

Possible solutions????

1. starter wiring harness (short between solenoid and motor)
2 some type of short in steering column
3. could this be a neutral switch problem????

Thanks,
Guy

supercrackerbox
11-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I wonder if maybe the starter switch on your steering column isn't out of adjustment to the point where it can power the solenoid. When you go to start the car, how far do you have to turn the key into the 'Start' position to kick the starter over?

guyd_15
11-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Just barely turn the key and it starts. Funny you mentioned it I did hit a bump once and it engaged. Do you know the correcy way to adjust the rod?
Thanks,
Guy

supercrackerbox
11-05-2012, 12:21 PM
I had to figure it out with a little trial and error. Take out the four nuts holding the column up to the dash and drop the column down on your seat. The switch should be right on top, and you'll see its mounting holes are slotted. Slide it forward a little ways and see how it works. You should be able to easily turn the key to all four positions- Accessory Off Run and Start.

boost geek
11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I had a problem like that thisthe cables that bolt to the starter reweremaking cantact with each other,when I would connect the battery the engine would turn over

guyd_15
11-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks again guys! I appreciate your replies and ideas!
Guy

ScottD
11-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I had a problem like that thisthe cables that bolt to the starter reweremaking cantact with each other,when I would connect the battery the engine would turn over

Plus one on this. My case was a little different, I think I'd tightened the cable that goes to the starter and it spun and was making contact with the starter body and the starter would randomly engage.