PDA

View Full Version : 86 Shelby Charger

3nglenn
01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Need some help/info from the SC guru's out there. Got an 86 SC in mint condition, pretty much totally stock with the exception of a K&N drop in and a 88 TBI roller cam. Stock, or so I think. Question is, were all SC's produced with the external fuel pump along with the in tank pump? I have been all over the bottom of mine and can't find an external pump. I use to have an 85 long ago that had one for sure. Was this discontinued at some point in production?
There is an electrical plug (two prong) that drops through the floor in the right area where the pump should be, but its capped off (looks OEM). Everything just looks too clean and unmolested for a hack job to have taken place. Just don't know... :confused: Any info much appreciated. Thanks all. G.P.

GLHS592
01-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I believe there was a recall on the pump in the '85 models. I know both '85's I've had had the external pumps. I think the '86 and after cars didn't have them. My GLHS doesn't.

3nglenn
01-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Cool. Thanks much for the info....:thumb: G.P.

GLHSKEN
01-04-2006, 07:25 PM
All SC's had them... My 87 sure did. The wiring is there on the GLHS but it was never on there. I do believe there was some sort of recall.. I never knew it. Just changed the pump on the 87 2 years ago. Went to a single in tank pump then.

cordes
01-04-2006, 07:33 PM
All SC's had them... My 87 sure did. The wiring is there on the GLHS but it was never on there. I do believe there was some sort of recall.. I never knew it. Just changed the pump on the 87 2 years ago. Went to a single in tank pump then.

It seems that most of us have gone to the in tank pump. I have an 86' omni, and I can see where the provision for the external pump was, but the car had a 255LPH pump in the car when I bought it. Definatly for the best.

clocktowersniper
01-04-2006, 07:56 PM
My 86 has the external pump. It was TSB at the time, dont believe it was a recall. It was a complaint about pump noise. My external pump is quiet though. Go out and buy a new pump and remove the outside pump if you want.

3nglenn
01-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Don't get me wrong, the car runs fantastic just as it is, it's just one of those little Dodge thingees that bugs me not knowing for sure...Makes me wonder why they put the external on to begin with, if they run fine with just the in-tank. Ahh, it's a never ending learning experiance...;)

rbryant
01-05-2006, 02:53 PM
I have an 88 omni fuel hanger in my 87 GLHS. They are readily available and can be used to replace the two pump system. Just make sure to also buy a new fuel pump as the EFI pump isn't up to the task.

It is actually nicer than the stock one because it has a drain port on it...

-Rich

slasky
01-05-2006, 03:06 PM
IIRC they used the external pumps on the L bodies because the tanks were small. I guess at the time the intank EFI pumps were large and took up too much room.

deuce dodge
01-05-2006, 06:56 PM
ok i have an aftermarket external pump.....and its broke :(

87 sc

going for 300 crank hp.......what pump should i go with..........and if you think your external pump will work please tell me what it is......:)

oh and as my pump was dieing (dying?).it screamed.lol

loud as a bad bearing...............

deuce

GLHSKEN
01-05-2006, 07:57 PM
walbro 255 in tank... ditch the external

boost geek
01-05-2006, 09:06 PM
My 86 s.c. had the dual pumps, my 87 has just the intank. I always thought the intank pump on the 86 s.c. was only good for 5 psi, the external pump making up for the rest of the fuel pressure.

Force Fed Mopar
01-05-2006, 10:22 PM

+1

My 87 GLHS only has the in-tank pump, I don't know if it has the wiring there for the external or not, never seen it but I wasn't never really looking for it:D I have a Walbro 255 now.

I was under the impression that the early turbo cars ran both an in-tank and an external pump? Kinda like a main and a booster pump?

cordes
01-05-2006, 11:06 PM

+2 one less potential problem...

GLHSKEN
01-06-2006, 08:09 AM
I was under the impression that the early turbo cars ran both an in-tank and an external pump? Kinda like a main and a booster pump?

They did... The wiring is taped up on your glhs and tucked out of the way.. It is there, just not used.

I should say, My 87 was early production (april 86). So they could have made a running change and went to a single pump in 87.

Black Shelby Z
01-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Over the years, I have owned 2 85 shelby chargers, and both only had the in tank pump. I couldn't see where they mounted the external one anyways. even vanquizor had an 86 sc, and it was just an internal pump too, no external pump as well. I just think it's weird that some cars had the external pump, and a lot didn't.

Steve Z
85 lebaron gts
89 daytona shelby

1985ShlbyChrger
01-11-2006, 12:24 AM
My '85 GLH-T has both the external and the internal pumps. It's the ghey!

GLHSKEN
01-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Over the years, I have owned 2 85 shelby chargers, and both only had the in tank pump. I couldn't see where they mounted the external one anyways. even vanquizor had an 86 sc, and it was just an internal pump too, no external pump as well. I just think it's weird that some cars had the external pump, and a lot didn't.

Steve Z
85 lebaron gts
89 daytona shelby

They ALL did from the factory. If the car ever had a pump issue, they switched it to a single in car pump per the TSB that was issued.