PDA

View Full Version : AEM wideband signal output question

GLHNSLHT2
11-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Ok, so dwh4784 got one of these AEM widebands. here's a link to it. http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideband-air-fuel-systems-15/digital-wideband-air-fuel-gauge-25/

The instruction manual here: http://www.schnitzracing.com/manuals/AEMWBK.pdf

talks a bit about the different selector settings on the back of the gauge.

My question is, do these different settings output through the signal wire? or does it just change the reading on the gauge face or both?

Right now it is set at P0, if it's set to P4 will it output that signal on the signal wire without changing the actual AFR reading on the gauge face?

I'd like to wire it up to the ECU and ditch the stock O2 all together if possible.

speedfreek500
11-03-2012, 05:41 AM
I also looked into removing the stock O2 sensor and just use the Aem unit to control fuel and display a read out. This was 2 years ago and it will not work as far as i know. I thought it was the yellow or white wire for the singal. I know the Lc-1 will work tho.

tryingbe
11-03-2012, 09:53 AM
I'd like to wire it up to the ECU and ditch the stock O2 all together if possible.

Not possible with AEM, wrong voltage.

All AEM digital gauges feature a 0-5v analog output for use with data loggers and virtually any engine management system, such as the AEM EMS or FIC.

GLHNSLHT2
11-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I also looked into removing the stock O2 sensor and just use the Aem unit to control fuel and display a read out. This was 2 years ago and it will not work as far as i know. I thought it was the yellow or white wire for the singal. I know the Lc-1 will work tho.

I thought I saw someone say they did it somehow and it works. Just not sure who.

I know all about the Lc-1's and Innovates products, I run them exclusively in my cars. and they're awesome. But this isn't my vehicle.

Not possible with AEM, wrong voltage.

but where it get's confusing is on page 9 of the instructions. Where is has a graph with this on the top right side "Analog Output Voltage Modes" and under P4 is the nerst cell (narrowband) operation voltages. My question is if I set it to P4 will it output the narrowband O2 voltage on the white wire, and will the gauge still give accurate AFR readings or will it just output some narrowband reading.

tryingbe
11-03-2012, 11:06 AM
From the instruction,

When set to (P0), (Figure 10A), the gauge displays AFR values.

That indicates whatever P# you set on the gauge, only the gauge itself is outputting those values, not the white wire analog output.

It is mentioned several times that the white wire is only for auxiliary unit that accepts 0-5V input, dodge ECU isn't one of them.

I have an innovate MTX malfunction before, it wasn't fun.

I much prefer the AEM gauge design with the use of the stock 02 sensor so they can check each other.

zin
11-03-2012, 04:16 PM
I'd suggest calling tech support, I have the same unit and assumed that I couldn't replace the OE sensor, but those instructions seem to indicate that it would output different ranges on the various wires...

While it might make sense to data-log the Lambda, etc, I don't see the utility in the 0-1V, which leads me to think it is possible, but wasn't something I was willing to take the chance on so left the OE unit hooked up and added the AEM 1/2 way between the OE unit and cat (to limit the heat it sees).

But, I've always wondered about it, though not enough to make the call myself!:o

Mike

tryingbe
04-22-2013, 02:26 AM
I was wrong. You can set the white wire analog output from the 0-5v output to 0-1v by switching from P0/P1 to P4 at the switch behind the AEM gauge.