PDA

View Full Version : 90 daytona ES frontCalipers

GLHSKEN
08-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Fronts are sticking... Dragging badly, Yanked the wheel... The pins are fine no burrs. The piston pushed back in easily. pimped it a couple times against the $5 autozone piston tool. held and saw it release. pushed it back in re-installed.

wheel spun freely, hit the brakes and pumped them up. stuck again. New calipers on order and pads. Is there anything I'm missing?? could it be fluid related?? if so how to fix. All help appreciated.

iTurbo
08-14-2006, 07:34 AM
How are the flexible brake lines? Even if they do look fine from the outside they could be swelling shut internally causing the brakes to drag.

GLHSKEN
08-14-2006, 07:52 AM
As you said. they look fine. But something I had not thought of.

Autozone stocks the lines thankfully. The calipers had to be ordered.

Frank
08-14-2006, 08:17 AM
When was the last time the car ran? Another thing could be is that the master cylinder could need adjustment... try forcing the pedal up and seeing what happens?

Frank

GLHSKEN
08-14-2006, 12:32 PM
The car just went on the road friday from 14 months of inactivity in my driveway. What does forcing the pedal up do??

Frank
08-14-2006, 01:03 PM
my thought is that if the master cylinder has its arm adjust to far out and the pedal is up against the stop then its not bleeding off all of the pressure. there is typically enough flex in the pedal assembly that you can force the pedal towards the driver seat to release any additional pressure. However since the car has just been inactive, then its very possible that it is due to something deteriting and not a master cylinder adjustment.

Frank

GLHSKEN
08-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Hmmm went out started it. Depressed brake and pulled up rapidly 3-4 times. not stuck now??? Should have started it and tried to move it first DUH!!!

Any more advice here folks?? Seems to only do it after driven a while.

Clay
08-14-2006, 06:57 PM
had same/similar problem with my GLHT. Reworked everything on the engine/trans, never touched the brakes. They would stick after 2 or 3 passes down the strip, but after sitting a while they would free up again.

Ended up putting on new minivan calipers and new lines. I dont have any issues now.

GLHSKEN
08-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Calipers on order. Pads as well. MAN does this thing have BIG brakes... Stops VERY well... I'll buy new lines and hope for the best. Thanks clay and all

bfarroo
08-14-2006, 11:09 PM
cut the lines open once you change them, you'll probably be suprised how tiny the hole has gotten. I'm not sure what size they normally are but when I replaced the lines on my 91 I cut the hoses apart to take a look at them and there was probably a 1/16 to 1/32 hole down the center. it was almost completely swolen shut.

glhs875
08-15-2006, 06:58 AM
cut the lines open once you change them, you'll probably be suprised how tiny the hole has gotten. I'm not sure what size they normally are but when I replaced the lines on my 91 I cut the hoses apart to take a look at them and there was probably a 1/16 to 1/32 hole down the center. it was almost completely swolen shut.

I agree, the lines are probably causing a problem more than the calipers.

GLHSKEN
08-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks... Buying new lines...

GLHSKEN
08-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Crap, the lines don't want to come loose from the hard lines. It's definately heat related. Pulling the brake pedal loosens them. Having the lines changed at a shop. If the hard lines broke, I'd be outta luck.

Any tips or directions for down the road. This won't be the last car int he fleet that needs it.

lametec
08-16-2006, 09:46 AM
To get the flex hose off the hard lines, loosen the retainers for the hard line so you can pull it out and away from the hose bracket. Now cut the flex hose or unbolt it from the caliper, then turn the flex hose around while holding the fitting on the hard line in place. This way you won't twist off the hard line. Once the flex line is off you can usually unstick the fitting from the hard line.

Apply heat and penetrating fluid before doing this, of course.

My vote is for the flex hoses collapsing on the inside. I have it happen to me, and there are no external clues to give it away.

cs daytona
08-17-2006, 07:06 PM
i had the same problem with my 89 daytona shelby. the caliper pistons are made of plastic. over a while (years maybe) the plastic swells and sticks, even tho you can still pry them apart.

yesterday, i replaced both front calipers. WOW!! night and day difference!!!

turbovanmanČ
08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
If its heat related, it could be the MC, but replace the hoses and calipers first and if its still there, your MC is bad or as Frank suggested, somehow the adjustment got wonky.