PDA

View Full Version : What pulley do you use for the auxillary shaft 2.5L TIII?

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2006, 01:35 AM
I was over at Will's today looking at his TIII engine and noticed the TIII has a cam gear looking type gear for the aux shaft. I will be running the distributor so what do you use? the stock TIII pulley? it looks smaller but not having one of my own, I can't compare sizes.

Turbodave
08-14-2006, 10:41 AM
I think a stock 2.5 pulley would work, but to be sure compare the intermediate shaft pulley diameter to the cam gear diameter, they should be the same if you plan on running a dist.

86Shelby
08-14-2006, 10:48 AM
That would be a good experimentation. I believe the TIII belt has a diffrernt tooth pitch to it than the round or quare tooth belt. Let alone the different lengths... The TIII I-shaft pulley is undersized so the oil pump would be overdriven. I'll see if i can double check what I have in the garage, Imight have the I-shaft sporcket in there.

turboking
08-14-2006, 10:49 AM
it is smaller

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the input. Like I said, I don't have the aux pulley so I can't compare sizes. If the stock pulley is indeed smaller, what do I do? I want to run the distributor in the stock 2.5L location?

lancer402
08-20-2006, 03:38 PM
It has to the same diameter as the stock t1 or t2 engines to turn the distributor correctly. but the T3 belt has different teeth then the other belts I believe and it is wider. So I dont believe there is anything you can use uless you change the crank and cam pulleys.

andy

turbovanmanČ
08-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I have the cam and crank gears but putting them next to 8V stuff, I don't really see any difference. I have also put the different belts on both gears and it looks the same except the TIII teeth are a little taller. Someone suggested running the 8V dist gear then getting some smaller tensioner or idler pulleys?

TurboGLH
08-20-2006, 09:47 PM
I have the cam and crank gears but putting them next to 8V stuff, I don't really see any difference. I have also put the different belts on both gears and it looks the same except the TIII teeth are a little taller. Someone suggested running the 8V dist gear then getting some smaller tensioner or idler pulleys?

You could try a tensioner from an 88 2.5 tall block. Thats what I got when I was building my hybrid and it's a good bit smaller than the normal 2.2 or 2.2/2.5 CB.

86Shelby
08-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Found out I have every pulley for the spare TIII engine EXCEPT an intermediate shaft pulley. Sorry man, no dice.

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Thanks Chris, I will try that.

Ray, no biggie. When I start to mock it up, should be soon, I will try all the ideas.