PDA

View Full Version : The piston in the caliper

francois
10-30-2012, 12:15 PM
I am going for 11''.
Bigger is better, right?
Well, you probably don't get those emails because everybody else does and we all know.

Anyhow, the stock caliper have phenolic piston.
I would rather not use them.
I am planning to make the switch to stainless steel one instead.

I am going to do the swap myself. (Should I just get rebuilt one with the steel piston already in?)
No biggies, I will change all the seals and lubricate with brake oil and a clean environment but I was reading that the phenolic has some advantage vs steel one.

What are you thoughts on that?

The car will be mainly driven on the street but will see some track days. I plan to use those ventilated brake!

I remember some 15 years ago having a broken piston on a Shadow caliper and saw not too long ago an article about swapping the piston in the SRT8 cars. (All phenolic one)

turbovanmanČ
10-30-2012, 01:06 PM
If road racing, use steel, if not, then use phenolic, this article pretty well sums it up.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=18770&p=2

135sohc
10-30-2012, 01:55 PM
I dont know how prices compare in canada but down here the cost of a rebuilt caliper whether plastic or steel piston is the same cost as buying the individual parts or even less in some cases.

bgbmxer
10-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Does anyone have a place to just buy the pistons?

francois
10-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Main reason why I want to go with steel ones!

Yup, I know. Rock Auto as an example has very good price but it is the shipping over here that doesn't make sense at some point.
I will investigate for price around here.
Anyhow nowadays, can you be sure of who did the rebuilt?
I am not a freak but when I consider brake, I might trust myself only in rebuilding things. You know, when you are coming with a lot of velocity, when I slammed before heading for the apex and coast, I need to have break like right now!
Not tomorrow, now!
I wouldn't want to get onto trouble right at that moment.
I know.
I need to check things and try with less angriness beforehand but breakage happens when things are being push to the limit.

I did a bit of research and I have the Raybestos number for steel one.

wallace
10-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Does anyone have a place to just buy the pistons?

Rock Auto has them in both phenolic and steel. I rebuilt my calipers with the phenolic pistons I got all the parts from them.

bgbmxer
10-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Rock Auto has them in both phenolic and steel. I rebuilt my calipers with the phenolic pistons I got all the parts from them.

I guess I'm gonna have to swap mine out for metal so they don't melt down I plan on racing.

wallace
11-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Yep I agree if you are road racing or autocrossing the stainless makes sense. I've had one of the phenolics fail on me. The piston literally disentegrated on I-95 in my mini van. It had seen alot of miles in the mountains and I believe the heat over time is what did it in.