PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Dodge Lancer Shelby Steering Knuckle Bearing Removal

hewhobarksatdogs
10-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Was replacing the axle on my Lancer, wanted to repack the front bearings, got the inner seal out, removed the 3 bolts from the plate on the front of the knuckle, gave the back of the bearing a tap with a brass hammer, no dice. Didn't want to break the damn thing! Anyhow, is there a way to get the bearing out without taking the whole steering knuckle to a machine shop? Also, if I need to remove the knuckle do I just remove it using one of those "fork things" Or should I just put the thing back together and take it to a shop and have them do the whole thing?

cordes
10-30-2012, 10:01 PM
You can buy a press to do it on the car or you can press it out at a shop. IIRC turbodave wrote a deal about using a piece of pipe, some threaded rod, and some metal plates to press it out in car.

If you don't have a press I would just pull it, take it to a shop, and then have the car aligned.

5sp. mini
10-31-2012, 06:20 AM
like cordes said remove it and take it to napa and have then install bearing then reinstall and have alingment set

shadow88
10-31-2012, 09:07 AM
For starters, the front bearings are not greaseable. It's a replace only. So, if this is being done as a maintenence thing, skip it. They're non serviceable. IF you need to replace it, you'll need a slide hammer and a press kit or a trailer ball and a hammer and some good aim with a hammer.

hewhobarksatdogs
11-01-2012, 03:57 AM
The 89 bearings are non-serviceable? I thought that started in '91. The bearings seem fine, just the inner seal needed replacing. I just thought, "what the heck, while I am in here, re-pack the darn things." Should I just replace the seal and move on?

shadow88
11-01-2012, 06:16 PM
They're a sealed bearing. After 91 or so they became a bolt in design rather than a press in design, but they are considered non servicable.

hewhobarksatdogs
11-01-2012, 07:48 PM
OK, put in a new seal, stick in the axle, and go! So how many miles are the bearings good for, on average?

turbovanmanČ
11-02-2012, 02:40 PM
OK, put in a new seal, stick in the axle, and go! So how many miles are the bearings good for, on average?

That varies, based on the seals, where its driven, if the front axle nut is tightened properly or if someone pushed it around without the axle in-install bearing death. Some can last the life of the car. If you get a whumping/whirring noise that changes when you turn left or right, the wheel bearing is bad.

hewhobarksatdogs
10-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Back to this; should there be any play in the wheel, measured at the outside of the tire about 1/4"? No noise yet, seems to rotate smoothly. Just wondering how long I can go before I need to put in new bearings.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, any recommendations on the bearing, brand-wise?

cordes
10-27-2013, 05:06 PM
There shouldn't be any play. You can go for a long while in my experience, but that's for poor college kids IMO.

hewhobarksatdogs
10-27-2013, 06:49 PM
You're right. Time to do the job. This car is so cool. I found it in Las Vegas about 3 years ago. It was in a carport and a guy was using it to store cardboard boxes in. I have pulled the head (cause the gasket started spewing about 3 days after I tried driving it around). Replaced all the top-end gasketry, rebuilt the turbo with stuff from G-pop, added a BOV, all new hoses, water pump and housing, power steering stuff, alternator, axles, brakes, struts, yada, yada. It runs like a beast and still has less than 90K miles on it. Zero rust, zero dings, interior all like new except the driver's seat which needs re-uphostering. Painted it "Arctic White", the factory color. The bearings are pretty much "the last thing", a phrase my wife has heard more than once on more than one car {:>) I drive it to work every day and still have BMW's, Audis, Hondas, etc. checking me out. Bump it in second gear, hit third and GO! No tickets so far but have had the Constabulary following me pretty closely more than once. I have about $4G in the car and I believe it will run forever as long as I pay attention to it. My son had a 2005 EVO, monster for sure, but this car is a surprise. Nobody expects this thing to come on like it does. Once it gets settled, and I have some money with no attachements, I want to take it to 250 h.p., when I get to that point I will call upon the experience of the folks on this site. Thanks for all of your advice, you have answered a number of my posts, and thanks to the rest of the folks out there who have given their time and expertise so that I can get this car on the road.

looneytuner
10-27-2013, 08:18 PM
I have two Lebaron GTS with 180,000 and original bearings.