PDA

View Full Version : engine mount shocks

85boostbox
10-28-2012, 06:17 PM
I was at the junkyard last week and I came across a 89 Lebaron convertible that had shocks on the front of the engine mounts. I know that I have seen these before but I got to thinking is there any benefit from them on any other car. What are they there for. Would they stiffen up the motor movement or possible help with "shock" from the engine on traction. Or help wioth traction. I am thinking about going and getting them. Let me know.

GLHNSLHT2
10-28-2012, 06:19 PM
they're an 89 or earlier Convertible thing. In 90 they went to a bad --- (for 90+ anyway) almost solid pass mount, I've never looked at the trans mount.

BadFastGTC
10-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Cliff Sebring gave me a set of those when I first got my Shelby Lancer. They have been on the car for 10 years or so. They help a little with NVH, but nothing performance wise.

85boostbox
10-28-2012, 06:54 PM
I didnt pay attention to the mounts too much. Are the shocks replaceable. If so what is you could find and adjustable solid bobble strut almost. Like what johnny sells.

turbovanmanČ
10-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Cliff Sebring gave me a set of those when I first got my Shelby Lancer. They have been on the car for 10 years or so. They help a little with NVH, but nothing performance wise.

Yep for NVH, as convertible's shake, rattle and roll, lol.

85boostbox
10-30-2012, 02:26 PM
So can the shocks be replaced with a solid mount kinda deal. Do you think it would benefit or cause more harm then good?

zin
10-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Seems like replacing them with a solid mount would do the opposite of what they were there to do, namely reduce noise, vibration and harshness (nvh), but maybe something more like a travel limiter could prove beneficial?... Though I would imagine the front mount would be where it would needed.

Mike