PDA

View Full Version : help adjusting Shift linkage

whitebb
10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I replaced the clutch in my 89 Daytona, a555. Assembled, got the clutch cable working, but cannot shift into gear. Did not have this issue before. I followed the procedures in the FSM about 8 times, still nothing. Any tips, or am I missing something?
I fixed a loose shift bracket on the trans, still won't go into gear. I can get it into gear with the engine off, start car and have that selected gear, but motor running, no shift at all. HELP! This car is driving me bonkers!

intercooled
10-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Sounds like the clutch is always engaged .

intercooled
10-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Did the shaft slip into the disk ? Might be off I've done that by accident before. The clutch pedal feel right ?

whitebb
10-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Clutch pedal has little play in it. Engages at the floor. i am suspecting it won't disengage properly. I guess trans might be coming out again. When fixed, i am selling this thing.

cordes
10-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Are the clips which hold the shift cables to the in car shifter braket in place? If they're not the cable can move enough to not engage gears.

whitebb
10-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Yes, they are there. i am going to take a quick look underneath and see if anything is amiss.

cordes
10-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I would think that you'll find this one pretty quickly. There isn't much to the shifter cables. One other thing to look out for is a split cable sheath. One member had that happen a while back and it let the cable come out through the opening thus not allowing it to actuate the lever on the trans very well.

whitebb
10-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Cables look great. I am inclined to believe it maybe a clutch issue. If so, trans comes out tomorrow, gets fixed and car will be listed for sale this week. This is not my first turbo Dodge, but likely my last.

cordes
10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Cables look great. I am inclined to believe it maybe a clutch issue. If so, trans comes out tomorrow, gets fixed and car will be listed for sale this week. This is not my first turbo Dodge, but likely my last.

If the clutch pedal feels normal and it will go through the gears by hand under the hood. I don't see how it could be a clutch issue.

whitebb
10-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Clutch engages /disengages near the floor. Doesn't feel right. I've pulled it apart too many times, including removing the pedal. Cable is new (exactly the same as old one), everything clean, lubed and present as per shop manual. Teeth on adjuster look nice. Rubbers at trans side of cable have seen better days, but still function.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

The black teeth of the cam do not meet with the white teeth of the adjuster.

whitebb
10-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Clutch cable seems to have slack in it, but it looks like it is moving the arm on the transmission.

whitebb
10-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Added some washers at cable end at arm and pedal felt 100x better. Still, cannot get into gear. I suspect the trans needs to come out again and I need to look at the clutch.

cordes
10-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Even with a bad clutch you should be able to move the shifter through the gears with the car off. If you can move the selector lever on the trans by hand I'm highly skeptical that the trans should need to come back out again.

You're certain that you have the right cable going to the right spot? The clips which hold the cables to the bracket are in place? No insult intended as I know these are easy ones, but I really think this must be a "simple" thing that's easy to overlook for anyone.

whitebb
10-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Sorry, I thought you meant the ones inside the car. I never touched those ones. I will jack up the car shortly and take a look underneath. I can shift the car into gear under the hood, w/o engine running.

whitebb
10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Put the car in the air and checked everything out. Linkage is fine, everything in its place. Put the car in the air and started. Seems the clutch will not disengage. I can accelerated the car, and even clutch pedal in it still goes. I wonder if I can re+re in 1 day? i want this done ASAP. I am back to work Thursday full-time, 7 days per week until at least November, maybe Christmas. (The joys of your own business)

cordes
10-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Could you use one pair of pliers to pull down on the clutch cable underneath the clutch arm on the trans and then set a pair of vise grips on the cable itself? That would effectively shorten the cable so you know for sure it's not a cable length issue. There were multiple clutch cable lengths over the years, and while that's not an issue most times some folks have had problems here and there.

I would give that a go first since it is so simple. Other than that you certainly could pull the trans and re-install it in a day. IIRC my very first clutch job took 11hrs from start to finish. It sounds like your ability is well beyond mine when I was at that point in my automotive career.

whitebb
10-28-2012, 07:37 PM
The replacement cable was exactly the same as the old one. Someone suggested shimming it, and even though the pedal felt better, it still didn't work properly.
This is my first FWD transmission. I have replaced many motors and transmissions, and prefer working on RWD. My Camaro IROC clutch was so much easier to do, and hydraulic clutches are great.

cordes
10-28-2012, 07:45 PM
If you didn't get the TOB in there correctly you may not have the throw in the lever to actuate the clutch. I did that once and it was a pain. If you make two long studs for the top of the trans you can slide it back far enough to take a peek before dropping it. They also help to get the trans back up there when reinstalling it.

whitebb
10-28-2012, 08:33 PM
I was thinking the TOB maybe misaligned. It does after all clip to the arm. Good idea on the studs. I believe I have something I can use.

cordes
10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
You can go wrong by pulling on the clutch arm and popping the TOB off of the fork that it's supposed to ride on. I did that once and had to pull the trans again. It was a pretty freak deal though. Once out of a ton of times I've had a trans in and out.