PDA

View Full Version : Heh, got a good one: Code 52 and 8 in of vac lost. *UPDATE*

85_600
01-04-2006, 06:11 PM
I had just gotten to work ( 14 mile drive - combo of highway and city driving ). My drive to work was great, just the usual slight stumble at low throttle speeds. I get to work and I let it idle while having a smoke, for about 10 minutes. Right when I'm going to turn the key off I loose 8 inches of vacuum and the car starts to idle really bad. GREAT! :( At first I thought my boost gauge line let go so I check it first. I get out and I'm like " F! I smelled the RICH smell I had when my O2 was bad. I kept with checking the gauge line, thinking it's not this because the gauge was reading ok. Nope, Line is ok. I get back in the car, turn it off, then check for codes.

12 - Ok. I just replaced the SDS and unhooked the battery.
*52* - new one but old one. I had this when my O2 was bad back in November.
55 - All clear.

I am getting very nervous now since I'm working until 6am and my wife can't pick me up until 9:30am. So, I light up again, start the car again, and it's fine. I let it idle for about another 5 minutes and then turn it off. About 10 minutes later ( still waiting to get into work - I get there plenty early JUST for this reason, car problems :eyebrows: ) and it's still fine.

So, what would cause the code 52 AND a loss of 8 inches of vacuum?

I don't know if this ties into my other post about my stumble or not so that may be taken into consideration as well here:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654

Thanks everyone! :)
Paul

**UPDATE** Just got home from work AND a un-eventful drive home, parked, checked for codes and now 51 is there, along with 52.

Any ideas? I'm tired ( 14 hour day :yuck: ) I'll check back later today.

Thanks!
Paul

GLHSKEN
01-04-2006, 06:17 PM
It would (or could) tie in... The stumble would be from too much fuel.. The issue could be one of 2 things. The O2 is really going bad, or you have a connector corroded at the computer.

85_600
01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
It would (or could) tie in... The stumble would be from too much fuel.. The issue could be one of 2 things. The O2 is really going bad, or you have a connector corroded at the computer.

I hope it's not the O2. I just bought it from Autozone on November 14th. However, if it IS the O2 going bad, again, then my install of my TechEdge may be pushed up, since it can output a narrowband signal as well.

Looks like I'm in for some fun here....Hmmmm

Darkwolf
01-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Could it be a leak in a line connected to the fuel pressure regulator? That would certainly hurt your vacuum and raise the fuel pressure atleast at idle. Don't know if it would raise it enough to throw a code though.

3nglenn
01-04-2006, 06:50 PM
If you do replace your O2 get a Mopar unit. I don't know what brand Autozone sells (I'll assume it's Bosch) but I learned the hard and expensive way. If ever there was a sensor that needs to be OEM it's the O2. They're expensive but last for years instead of months. Good luck and keep us posted.
G.P.

cordes
01-04-2006, 07:18 PM
I hope it's not the O2. I just bought it from Autozone on November 14th. However, if it IS the O2 going bad, again, then my install of my TechEdge may be pushed up, since it can output a narrowband signal as well.

Looks like I'm in for some fun here....Hmmmm

Most of them will have a three month warranty.

85_600
01-05-2006, 07:40 AM
**UPDATE** Just got home from work AND a un-eventful drive home, parked, checked for codes and now 51 is there, along with 52.

Any ideas? I'm tired ( 14 hour day :yuck: ) I'll check back later today.

Thanks!
Paul

GLHSKEN
01-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Either the 02 is fubar or the computer is

Tony Hanna
01-10-2006, 01:38 AM
I've had nothing but problems with Bosch o2 sensors. They invented the o2 sensor, you'd think they'd have it right by now.:confused:
Anyhow, if you need a new O2 and can't swing the cost of a Mopar sensor, find a parts store that stocks Standard brand sensors.
Believe it or not, I actually managed to get a full 1 volt (10 light) signal reliably out of a 1 wire Standard sensor. I wouldn't recomend running a 1 wire for normal use as they take forever to warm up, but at $15 I was willing to try it out as a throw-away to use with leaded race gas. Also at the time I had no idea how methanol would affect one and I wasn't willing to risk a new Mopar sensor.
HTH

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2006, 03:01 AM
I've had nothing but problems with Bosch o2 sensors. They invented the o2 sensor, you'd think they'd have it right by now.:confused:
Anyhow, if you need a new O2 and can't swing the cost of a Mopar sensor, find a parts store that stocks Standard brand sensors.
Believe it or not, I actually managed to get a full 1 volt (10 light) signal reliably out of a 1 wire Standard sensor. I wouldn't recomend running a 1 wire for normal use as they take forever to warm up, but at $15 I was willing to try it out as a throw-away to use with leaded race gas. Also at the time I had no idea how methanol would affect one and I wasn't willing to risk a new Mopar sensor.
HTH

Standard is crap, use NTK or OEM, thats it.

Tony Hanna
01-10-2006, 03:19 AM
Standard is crap, use NTK or OEM, thats it.

Care to explain why? I'm not saying I disagree with you as my experience is with only 1 sensor but that sensor worked flawlessly. Maybe I just got a good one?

dwh4784
01-10-2006, 03:30 AM
The last time I needed an O2 sensor I went to the Dodge dealer(even though the Bosche on my other car has been working fine for 3 years) and they couldn't even get me one. They said I might try the Chrysler dealership, but I was in a hurry so I just got another Bosche and it's working fine again.

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2006, 04:15 AM
Care to explain why? I'm not saying I disagree with you as my experience is with only 1 sensor but that sensor worked flawlessly. Maybe I just got a good one?

I've used every brand on the market in my shop, Standard and Neihoff are junk, they fail all the time. Bosch are awesome EXCEPT in TD's and NTK work in anything. AC Delco is also a good sensor though never tried them in a TD.

Tony Hanna
01-10-2006, 04:39 AM
How much do the NTK sensors run and who stocks 'em? I like the idea of a low priced sensor that works. I don't feel so bad about running leaded race fuel that way.

GLHSKEN
01-10-2006, 07:58 AM
The Bosch's just seem to read "off" in our cars. You will read 8 lights on an A/f with a Bosch, a factory will read 9.

I just bought a denso to try out... Supposedly leaded gas will be much less harmful due to something on it?? Don't know..

The 1 wire was 19.95 the 3 wire was 39.95 At sparkplugs.com. To find them I had to click on the denso banner and go from there.

Tony Hanna
01-10-2006, 08:44 AM
That's not a bad buy at all if they last and read right.
I've had the same problems you just mentioned with the Bosch sensors. That's why I was pleasantly surprised to be seeing 10 lights out of the 1 wire Standard sensor.

GLHSKEN
01-10-2006, 09:23 AM
That's not a bad buy at all if they last and read right.
I've had the same problems you just mentioned with the Bosch sensors. That's why I was pleasantly surprised to be seeing 10 lights out of the 1 wire Standard sensor.

Reeves and Hall are running their 3 wires here locally. They seem to really like them...

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2006, 01:24 PM
I just did the math on my NTK, its got around 40, 000 km's on it. Its been thru tankfuls of C16, Toluene, broken and melted pistons and it still works. Tested it the other day and it still switches around 60 ms and reaches full rich and lean limits, :thumb:

Tony Hanna
01-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I just did the math on my NTK, its got around 40, 000 km's on it. Its been thru tankfuls of C16, Toluene, broken and melted pistons and it still works. Tested it the other day and it still switches around 60 ms and reaches full rich and lean limits, :thumb:

Sounds like another good one. Who stocks 'em and how much do they usually run?

SwiftTech
01-10-2006, 07:34 PM
The stock mopar ones are made by NTK.