PDA

View Full Version : Wet = Less braking?

ssheen
08-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I noticed on the Daytona that when it is wet out the brakes do not stop the car as well. I have to almost pump them a few time to get them to grab. Then they may grab as well as when dry. Would think be related to needing better pads? Or what?

Thanks

Garret
08-13-2006, 04:09 PM
don't forget you gotta burn off the water on the rotors before they will grab really well, because you're not a race car and keeping the rotors glowing at all the time, during daily driving you're not really wailing on the brakes to get them super hot

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
It could be your pads are getting old? what type are they and how old. Cheap $20 pads will act like that, hence the cheap price.

MiniMopar
08-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Most cars do this to some degree, but I did notice it more on the 11" brake setup when I put it on my Daytona. More surface area of the pad results in less pressure per square inch, so perhaps the outgasing plus the lowr pressure makes it more noticable.

ssheen
08-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I would say I do notice it more on the Daytona with 11" brakes than the Laser. Also more noticable with the pumper rims opposed to the crabs.

I figured it was removing the water before they grab. Just had not noticed it much before.

That pads are maybe 2 years old. Still lots of meat on them. I know I did not cheap out when I bought them.

Wondering if different pads would work better, or if I care enough to go drilled.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 11:14 PM
I would say I do notice it more on the Daytona with 11" brakes than the Laser. Also more noticable with the pumper rims opposed to the crabs.

I figured it was removing the water before they grab. Just had not noticed it much before.

That pads are maybe 2 years old. Still lots of meat on them. I know I did not cheap out when I bought them.

Wondering if different pads would work better, or if I care enough to go drilled.

I would say the pumpers have more open area than crabs and are letting more water hit the rotor. What about running those brake guards that keep the brake dust off the wheel in winter, then summer, remove them for better cooling?

daytonaturbo87
08-14-2006, 12:33 AM
mine does that too, I can feel it, but it's not so bad that I'm scared of rear ending the car in front of me.

tryingbe
08-14-2006, 12:44 AM
I have have more problem keeping tire's traction on the road than stopping the wheel from turning.

mcsvt
08-14-2006, 10:47 AM
In a hard rain storm, I loss a lot of braking power. My combo is 11" brakes with pumpers. It has been so bad that I feel like I have no braking at some point. I don't know what type of pads are on the car, but when I change them the new ones will be of known good quality.

safety > cheap pads :eyebrows:

show-off
08-14-2006, 11:04 AM
YOu guys drive your cars in the rain??????

ssheen
08-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Not sure about the guards you are referring to Simon.

Sounds like my problem is to the same degree that Gary mentioned.

Not only do I drive it in the rain, but in the snow as well. Which does the same thing if the car is plowing it and the wheels are full. :D

MiniMopar
08-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes, in heavy rain I've had a few scares where I had to mash the pedal to get anything and then the wheels suddenly lockup when the water is shedded.

mcsvt
08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Yeah it doesn't help that my tires are "performance" tires. No traction at the track, no traction in the wet, where do they perform ;)

turbovanmanČ
08-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Not sure about the guards you are referring to Simon.

Sounds like my problem is to the same degree that Gary mentioned.

Not only do I drive it in the rain, but in the snow as well. Which does the same thing if the car is plowing it and the wheels are full. :D

You've never seen those shields that go between the rotor and the wheel? they were designed to keep brake dust off wheels so they stay clean longer.

ShelbyZD
08-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Im using stock sized Crossdrilled rotors on my 88 and the only time I notice any brake fade is when I 1st hit the brakes after the car has been sitting for quite some time (not 30 seconds at a stop light). In hard rain they work just fine. I know a lot of people on here don't seem to like crossdrilled rotors, but from my experience they are unquestionably better. (we'll see if they crack anytime soon - 2 years on them now).