PDA

View Full Version : CHRA balancing vs just turbo shaft balancing??

this.one
10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
hi everyone

just wanna make sure - I found a company which do balancing of the whole CHRA section with all components inside - which means they will balance it as it is in the turbo when assemebled - on the other hand there are companies which offer just a turbo shaft with bearing and seals on it balancing ...

is it right that the whole CHRA section balancing is much better than jsut the shaft balancing?

thank you

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Depends on what they charge. Ball bearing turbos IE the Garrett's, have to be as an assembly but there is nothing wrong with balancing just the shaft and compressor wheel on journal bearing turbo's. If the price is the same, get the whole cartridge balanced, less potential for mistakes when putting it back together.

zin
10-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Agreed, if the cost is not prohibitive, a balanced assembly is always preferable to just components... Though they should start with the components balanced (factory style) then those parts as an assembly... do they warranty the balanced CHRA in a better way than just the parts? I would kind of expect that the parts wouldn't really have much of a warranty, as they can't control what people do with them once they leave, but the assembly is a different story.

Mike

4 l-bodies
10-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Many years ago there were very few VSA balancing machines in the entire country (USA). At one time you could count on one hand how many machines were in the country. I would imagine they are becoming a little more plentiful as more and more vehicles have turbos and the cost of the VSA balancing equipment is probably coming down some too.
I usually get charged around $30 US to dynamic balance the rotating assembly.
Todd