PDA

View Full Version : No Spark to plug due to stock alarm

GLHSBRANT
10-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Got done putting a new motor in my 92 daytona iroc a little while back and since then i have not been able to get spark to my plugs. took it to a shop where they checked a sensors, connections, and even made sure that it was timed correctly. was told that it may the the atock alarm on it, so my question is this.... how do i fix this. is there a way to bypass the alram system or is there a way to dis arm it and allow the car to fire.

RoadWarrior222
10-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Second half of this thread gets into it...
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?66197-Fires-up-and-dies-after-rebuild&highlight=alarm

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Is anything flashing inside the car, IE the alarm light and the marker lights should flash. If you don't have a key fob, manually locking, unlocking the car using the car should turn it off, if not, take the door apart and check to see the actuators are hooked up. Barring that, another computer will be needed with the alarm.

Edit, with the factory alarm, the car will run for4-5 secs then die, if this isn't happening, then the alarm isn't your problem and maybe give us more detail on your car and what you've done.

ShelGame
10-16-2012, 08:53 PM
There are ways to trick the computer into running anyway if it's the factory alarm causing the trouble...

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2012, 09:02 PM
There are ways to trick the computer into running anyway if it's the factory alarm causing the trouble...

How?????

ShelGame
10-16-2012, 10:06 PM
How?????

Remove the 3 bytes of code that shut it off :)

turbovanmanČ
10-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Remove the 3 bytes of code that shut it off :)

Har har, funny guy.

So you've figured out how to do it then? Can only you do it or can we do it thru MPtune?

ShelGame
10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Har har, funny guy.

So you've figured out how to do it then? Can only you do it or can we do it thru MPtune?

Can't do it thru MP Tune. It's not the ideal way to do it since it will only on a modified cal. I'm still working on a way to actually erase the EEPROM. When I get that to work, I'll ask Morris to add it as a feature to MP Tune. Then it shouldn't need a special cal and could be done to any computer...

RoadWarrior222
10-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Sweet, I'll start getting together a list of TMs to knock off and sell to wealthy collectors...

GLHSBRANT
10-17-2012, 11:17 PM
the alarm like in the car is flashing inside the car and the marker lights are not. as far as things done to the car i have upgraded to light weight crank and rods, a cummins turbo, new fuel rail, and the ground kit from fwd thinking that i just wasnt getting a good ground. the crank sensor is new and the cam sensor was changed out while trying to figure out why no spark as well. this is the second motor in the car in the last year or so. the first motor was just to get the car running after sitting for a few years and i didnt have the spark issue when it was installed.

2.216VTurbo
10-18-2012, 01:27 AM
the alarm like in the car is flashing inside the car and the marker lights are not. as far as things done to the car i have upgraded to light weight crank and rods, a cummins turbo, new fuel rail, and the ground kit from fwd thinking that i just wasnt getting a good ground. the crank sensor is new and the cam sensor was changed out while trying to figure out why no spark as well. this is the second motor in the car in the last year or so. the first motor was just to get the car running after sitting for a few years and i didnt have the spark issue when it was installed.

So I watched Jackson Simler (lotashelbys on here) and Rick Diogo defeat a factory alarm in an IROC RT permanantly at SDAC a couple years ago. It Involved using another SBEC from an RT car, running the car on it then unplugging the body module. I'm a little fuzzy on the exact sequence of events(heck, it was SDAC after all:D) but I think if you PM Lotashelbys he can fill in the blanks.

Where ya at these days Brant? Been a few years...

bamman
10-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Did you ever get the alarm issue fixed?

If not first disarm the alarm. Using your key lock then unlock the door. Sometimes the door switch for the alarm breaks on the driver's side so you may have to lock and then unlock the passenger door to disarm the alarm.

If you want to disable the alarm simply start the car, and with the car running unplug the alarm module. It sits above the glove box.

5DIGITS
10-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Can't do it thru MP Tune. It's not the ideal way to do it since it will only on a modified cal. I'm still working on a way to actually erase the EEPROM. When I get that to work, I'll ask Morris to add it as a feature to MP Tune. Then it shouldn't need a special cal and could be done to any computer...

Quick n dirty way to get it back on it's feet.
It's been too long and can't remember the screen name but there is a memory interrogator/monitor mode that writes to EE.
Not kidding - If you pull the plug during the write the check-sum will fail on the next key up and cause it to be reinitialized.
This clears the SAM (Security Alarm Module) enable bit and off you go.

Good Luck.

ShelGame
10-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Quick n dirty way to get it back on it's feet.
It's been too long and can't remember the screen name but there is a memory interrogator/monitor mode that writes to EE.
Not kidding - If you pull the plug during the write the check-sum will fail on the next key up and cause it to be reinitialized.
This clears the SAM (Security Alarm Module) enable bit and off you go.

Good Luck.

What if you just erase the EEPROM from a special chip, or say MP Tune? Will that also work?

5DIGITS
10-28-2012, 12:55 PM
What if you just erase the EEPROM from a special chip, or say MP Tune? Will that also work?

That should - any change that causes a chksum error will cause a re- init.

FYI-
There is a bug in the code and regardless if the cal has the SAM ($FF or $00) it can enable the EE bit due to a lack of SAM response - even on a car without the Security Alarm Module.
Corrupt the EE (clear, fill, etc.. ) and the chksum mis-match should take care of the rest.

ShelGame
10-28-2012, 01:42 PM
OK, thanks. I think we can do this in MP Tune now. Morris sent me a new version to test. As soon as I check it out, I think he'll release it...

GLHSKEN
11-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Rob, We have tried about every combination of SBEC and body controller we have. Should swapping the body controller on an alarmed car help solve the issue? The alarm module was not plugged in. We plugged it in, turn signals flashed, key turned it off. still no fire. Would like to send the body controllers to you and the SBEC's to have a shot at turning off the alarm. Fuel pump engages, no fuel to the cyl's no spark... At wits end!

ShelGame
11-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Rob, We have tried about every combination of SBEC and body controller we have. Should swapping the body controller on an alarmed car help solve the issue? The alarm module was not plugged in. We plugged it in, turn signals flashed, key turned it off. still no fire. Would like to send the body controllers to you and the SBEC's to have a shot at turning off the alarm. Fuel pump engages, no fuel to the cyl's no spark... At wits end!

No fire at all? That should not be the alarm system. The alarm will allow the car to start, but it will die after just a couple of seconds.

GLHSKEN
11-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Correct. We've tried new cam and trany pick-ups swapped ASD's computer and body modules and 2 known good coil packs. Added the FWD ground kit. So the car should at least fire.... didn't know that. We'll keep throwing things at it unless someone has a better idea?

GLHSKEN
11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Using a feeler guage, what is the gap between the cam sensor and cam sprocket?

Do these cars have any fusible links?

we were getting a checksum error with the FWDP computer. Clean on all others.

ony codes on cranlking are 12, 37, and 42

ShelGame
11-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Using a feeler guage, what is the gap between the cam sensor and cam sprocket?

Do these cars have any fusible links?

we were getting a checksum error with the FWDP computer. Clean on all others.

ony codes on cranlking are 12, 37, and 42

What year TIII is it? I know the '91's are the same as the T1 SBEC's. But, I honestly haven't looked ofr the shutoff code for the '92+. I'm not 100% sure it works the same way (IE, start and die). Maybe someone else can confirm.

If it is the alarm, I think wowzer has an update to MP Tune (not 100% sure he's set it to update yet) to wipe the EEPROM, which should clear the alarm bits and reset the computer. If you have a USB-SCI cable, you can try that.

GLHSKEN
11-11-2012, 01:26 PM
It's a 92 Thinking about sending it up to you to wipe the "bits". Mechanically I'm fine, electronics no way. WHo can confim how the 92+ works? eg start then die or just no start?

ShelGame
11-11-2012, 01:37 PM
It's a 92 Thinking about sending it up to you to wipe the "bits". Mechanically I'm fine, electronics no way. WHo can confim how the 92+ works? eg start then die or just no start?

You can send it to me if you want and I can try it. I'll have look around in the '92 TIII code tonight for the alarm shutdown stuff...

GLHSKEN
11-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Much appreciated.... running out of things to try, Ran perfect befor the engine swap.

turbovanmanČ
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I tried a 91 R/T computer in a 92 R/T, it ran but ran like crap, but it would start, only ran on 2 cylinders.

wowzer
11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
the latest release i pushed out last week (11/6) has the eeprom erase. that was basically the only feature added in the last release (2.0.3.8). could give it a try.

ShelGame
11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
the latest release i pushed out last week (11/6) has the eeprom erase. that was basically the only feature added in the last release (2.0.3.8). could give it a try.

Jake Bauer confirmed that the EEPROM erase does the trick - http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?66197-Fires-up-and-dies-after-rebuild&p=960532&viewfull=1#post960532

ShelGame
11-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Both the '91 and 92 TIII kill the engine in the same way. But, it's different from the T1. That could just be due to the differences in coil-pack vs. distributor setup, or maybe they just operate differently. I don't know. I think we still need someone else to confirm how the alarm works on the TIII cars and if it's the same as on the T1 cars - Ie, start for a second then die. Maybe Jackson can help clarify that?

wowzer
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Jake Bauer confirmed that the EEPROM erase does the trick - http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?66197-Fires-up-and-dies-after-rebuild&p=960532&viewfull=1#post960532

Rob, did you use mptune to do the wipe or manually erase it? curious to see if it works directly from mptune.

ShelGame
11-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Rob, did you use mptune to do the wipe or manually erase it? curious to see if it works directly from mptune.

I did his from MP Tune...