PDA

View Full Version : Mild Port Cylinder Head Offerings

BadFastGTC
10-16-2012, 03:54 PM
I wanted to let you all know I will do mild port work for those interested. I guess a lot of people thought I had but two offerings, but that is not the case. I can operate around almost any budget. Feel free to call me, pm me or email. My phone is 717-226-3814, email is 1989GTC@gmail.com. I currently have a couple of these under construction. I polished up the stock valves before grinding seats for this one. Prices will vary depending on head condition and options chosen, but should range between $650.00 & $800.00.

speedfreek500
10-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Awesome, i will be calling you on wednesday, i'am looking for a 782.

1BADVAN
10-16-2012, 11:50 PM
As someone who talked with Steve on the phone I have to say he is an awesome guy more than willing to answer all my questions. I definitely will go with him once i get the funds.

moe44688
10-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Just wanna say that I'm currently having Steve do some work for me and he truly knows what he's doing! Very easy to work with and has lots of useful knowledge to help with your build.

moparman76_69
10-17-2012, 02:08 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41965&d=1350416946

jeggggssssss

I'm assuming you do 16V (TIII, Masi, and 2.4) heads also?

speedfreek500
10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Hey Steve it was good talking to ya,i will be waiting for a pm when ever you got time.

Brian

Khajjathefang
10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Steve is an in general all around badass dude.

BadFastGTC
10-17-2012, 08:17 PM
George, the picture was purposely taken with JEEGGSS in mind!

GLHS60
10-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Steve: Do you work on G heads or 655's?

Thanks
Randy

BadFastGTC
10-21-2012, 12:09 AM
G-heads, yes. I would not waste my time with the 655, or yours for that matter.

Directconnection
10-21-2012, 06:53 PM
G-heads, yes. I would not waste my time with the 655, or yours for that matter.

Why not? The 655 is the bomb! {just kidding}

Seriously Randy, have Steve do you a 445/287 G-head and you won't be disappointed. He's been doing these for a long time and has the professional credentials to back up his work (ie: "professional" means: not related to the TM world ;-)

GLHS60
10-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Steve and Steve:
Thanks for your kind words and both of you each have unequaled reputations so I have to tread lightly but as to the 655 head, I just have to try one. I was "summoned" to this head that was in the back of a shed and it was calling out, clean me up and I'll reward you.

Also. I have an 86 Omni that I bought new and in 1997 I built it up using the complete Super 60 package. I finally blew a head gasket last year so I pulled the head and am going to re ring it and do a valve job etc. Then I thought, what about having Steve clean up the big valve MP Super 60 head? I thought it might be interesting historically to have some one like Steve evaluate one of these old heads and clean it up.

My Super 60 cam still looks great after all these years. Must be special "degrease" (old Duntov joke)

Thanks
Randy

.. .

BadFastGTC
10-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Steve, I need to talk to you tonight about that audio CD you have. I will call sometime after 7:00 most likely. Randy, I think you should resist the dark side and stay away from the 655, but that is your choice. If you must try it, build both a custom intake and a header (not a log manifold) to try and get the exhaust port to act like one. I have reworked a number of the MP heads. I think I still have the flow numbers for the MP head I flowed for Gus many years ago. I will check and see.

Directconnection
10-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey Steve, I'll be here tonight.

RoadWarrior222
10-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Randy, I think you should resist the dark side and stay away from the 655, but that is your choice. If you must try it, build both a custom intake and a header (not a log manifold) to try and get the exhaust port to act like one.

Everything bears looking at again... someone might come up with some "dirty hack" that makes your teeth itch to think about that actually works good.

BadFastGTC
10-23-2012, 08:34 AM
RW, the boys at Chrysler already did when they came out with later model heads. The effort required to make a good working 655 is more than I would direct people to do for a variety of reasons. I would rather attempt to make Hillary Clinton an attractive woman.

RoadWarrior222
10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
A quart of tequila and a paper bag won't work? ... oh, see what you're saying.

The Pope
10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
RW, the boys at Chrysler already did when they came out with later model heads. The effort required to make a good working 655 is more than I would direct people to do for a variety of reasons. I would rather attempt to make Hillary Clinton an attractive woman.

You know in all the years I've known people that are paid to port heads, or anything else. I have never heard of anyone but you insist that there work not be checked. Lonewolf doesn't care and even has refunded people that have ended up unhappy. FM doesn't mind even Tyler doesn't care.

Yet Steve here point blank tells his customers NOT to. I find that pretty interesting. Here in town all the guys I know that port heads have them flowed by the same guy, Dick Flynn. Same guy, old man, does those cool figure 8 super stock Hemi ports. Among a lot of other custom stuff.

I have a few of my 655s done, haven't had a chance to have them flowed. Then Luke got a head from Steve here and Jay has one of Tylers heads. I suggested having Steves worked tested along with my heads and Jay's head form Tyler, just to see how they stack up. Apples to apples, completely 3rd party, not like I'm flowing them as I don't have a flow bench. Apparently this is a big problem with Steve. You talk the talk, you guys sit around like old hens bad mouthing the 655. Yet a completely bias 3rd party chance for you to put the debate to rest comes up and you can't handle it. I am at least curious. I've heard great things about your work. I don't see how it should be the least bit of an issue as you believe the 655 is junk, but there it is.

I do admit, if I was selling porting work. That I wouldn't want a lot of photos of my work floating around where other people can see it. My self I don't push porting, I don't have time for it hardly at all. So I freely post up photos of my work, I believe Tyler does too, even seen LWs heads online and FM CNC heads. But still to keep your work secret has merit. So why not let your work get tested in a black bag? I don't have to be there, actually I've never been there when Dick works lol. Even the install of the head on the van is treated like top secret around here, which is fine, I don't care to see it anyway really. Just a shame you don't have the confidence in your work to have it tested.... I was really looking forward to it, as your the best.

168glhs1986
10-24-2012, 09:32 PM
782 head, +1 valve, Menegon ported.......How about 12.95 on 13.5 psi, 8 valve, super 60 turbo. Pretty good port work I'd say. Real world testing trumps flow bench testing. Overall air flow doesnt mean everything, ever heard of velocity?

roachjuice
10-24-2012, 10:04 PM
782 head, +1 valve, Menegon ported.......How about 12.95 on 13.5 psi, 8 valve, super 60 turbo. Pretty good port work I'd say. Real world testing trumps flow bench testing. Overall air flow doesnt mean everything, ever heard of velocity?

Lol totally agree. We don't race on flow benches and dynos here.

BadFastGTC
10-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Deleted.

Oggie Fisher
10-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I believe there are flow results for one of Steve's heads over at The Dodge Garage.

1BADVAN
10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I believe there are flow results for one of Steve's heads over at The Dodge Garage.
Yeah but I bet those are stock valve, and what 10-15 years less experience and testing. I have seen the numbers on the dodge garage and then i have seen numbers of the big valve head he does and they are quite different. Someone flowed a Stage 3 CNC head from FM and Steve's head outflowed it by 25% according to the guy who flowed it on TD.com
I know i want one because it seems some of the fastest guys around are running his head like Reeves and others. So it must work

Oggie Fisher
10-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Agreed. The DDG indicates stock T2 valves. The #s are very "competitive" to the other examples.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah but I bet those are stock valve, and what 10-15 years less experience and testing. I have seen the numbers on the dodge garage and then i have seen numbers of the big valve head he does and they are quite different. Someone flowed a Stage 3 CNC head from FM and Steve's head outflowed it by 25% according to the guy who flowed it on TD.com
I know i want one because it seems some of the fastest guys around are running his head like Reeves and others. So it must work

Not to put down Steve's work, which is awesome, but unless you test all the heads on the same flowbench, especially before and after, it will never be 100% accurate. Just thought I'd throw that out there, :D

roachjuice
10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Not to put down Steve's work, which is awesome, but unless you test all the heads on the same flowbench, especially before and after, it will never be 100% accurate. Just thought I'd throw that out there, :D

It works for him. Screw it. Like we said before, we don't race flow benches or dynos here. I'd buy and install one of his heads without flowing it. Because I know its good. Because I know a majority of the fast 8v powered cars have a Steve ported head on them.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2012, 06:06 PM
It works for him. Screw it. Like we said before, we don't race flow benches or dynos here. I'd buy and install one of his heads without flowing it. Because I know its good. Because I know a majority of the fast 8v powered cars have a Steve ported head on them.

Works for who? Simply stating that for people who love flowbench numbers, its not a true test of a heads ability due to every different bench will not read the same. No one is getting flamed or put down, so calm down.

roachjuice
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Works for who? Simply stating that for people who love flowbench numbers, its not a true test of a heads ability due to every different bench will not read the same. No one is getting flamed or put down, so calm down.

It works for Steve. I am calm. :) OTHERWISE I WOULD TYPE LIKE THIS! lol.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2012, 06:23 PM
it works for steve. I am calm. :) otherwise i would type like this! Lol.

lol............

GLHNSLHT2
10-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I like the way Tyler did it, showed a percentage of gain over what a stock head flowed on his bench. IMO doing it that way will allow you to compare heads from different benches.

Shadow
10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Because I know a majority of the fast 8v powered cars have a Steve ported head on them.

Really, I did not know that. (and this is Not a hack, nor does it bare any weight on Steve or his portwork, so everyone can relax :))

I know that he is amoung the top recommended porters in our community, but I also know that there are a lot more vendor heads out there than anyone would think. FWD, FM ect.

I'm aware of Reeves running one of Steves heads, but that's about all I've heard.

Just curious how you figure that the majority of fast 8v's have a Steve head on them?

roachjuice
10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Really, I did not know that. (and this is Not a hack, nor does it bare any weight on Steve or his portwork, so everyone can relax :))

I know that he is amoung the top recommended porters in our community, but I also know that there are a lot more vendor heads out there than anyone would think. FWD, FM ect.

I'm aware of Reeves running one of Steves heads, but that's about all I've heard.

Just curious how you figure that the majority of fast 8v's have a Steve head on them?

Lol may i ask what head you run?

Shadow
10-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Lol may i ask what head you run?

lol What head do you think I run? :eyebrows:

roachjuice
10-25-2012, 07:48 PM
lol What head do you think I run? :eyebrows:

"stock" lol

Shadow
10-25-2012, 08:04 PM
"stock" lol

Now That's funny!

Could you image how pissed ppl would be if I was doing this all on a stock head!

Would make all ported heads obsolete, and we really don't want to be doing that now............

So let's just keep this under our hats ;)

roachjuice
10-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Now That's funny!

Could you image how pissed ppl would be if I was doing this all on a stock head!

Would make all ported heads obsolete, and we really don't want to be doing that now............

Hahahahahaha all that money on a head down the drain.

BadFastGTC
10-25-2012, 10:31 PM
1) Rob, I swore you built a +1mm valved head for your car some years ago. In any case, great job on it and your car's performance. You still running on that 1220' track? :-) Killer job!

2) Jay, percentage improvement is ok, if you are dealing with a Super Stock SBC head a percent improvement can be a lot on an already highly developed component.

3) I don't want a list of people running my heads here, nor do I need one. There are a good head porters out there. I am sure each one does their best.

4) Flowbench numbers are only part of the story, regardless of whether they are flowed on the same bench.

Shadow
10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Haha! All good answers my friend! Just havin a bit of fun...........Again :)

Yep, still the original +1mm G-head that I believe my brother ported 7-8 years ago. We've always ported our own heads (Brent or myself), prob for the same reasons you started porting your own years ago.

Keep up the Great work! :thumb:

Khajjathefang
10-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Now That's funny!

On the contrary, I'd be thinking I could run 8's :lol:

Your stockness just gives me hope. lol. I figure when the stars align and I get the next engine for the shelby z built ill have a bit more head, same cam, bit less intake, bit less turbo, much better header (until you do yours anyway), and equivalent block. I'll probably stick to street trim though ;)

OmniLuvr
10-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Not to stir anything up, but I believe topfuelbender was running in the mid tens with one of steves heads, that car help instigate me into building an ultralight l-body...

GLHNSLHT2
10-26-2012, 12:49 AM
1)
2) Jay, percentage improvement is ok, if you are dealing with a Super Stock SBC head a percent improvement can be a lot on an already highly developed component.

4) Flowbench numbers are only part of the story, regardless of whether they are flowed on the same bench.

Well then how do you measure if what you've done (not you specifically) is any good? What's the rest of the story? Just trying to glean some info for my head.

BadFastGTC
10-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Jay, another aspect of looking at potential performance is how quickly the manometer drops while flowing a head. Say for example two heads flow 180cfm@.500" valve lift. Both appear to be good potential candidates to choose, one may have a 96cc intake port while the other has an 86 cc intake port. See what I mean? I am not saying the flowbench is not important as a lot can be learned in development and used to reproduce a head that works well vs one that does not. Turbulence, tumble, swirl, and airflow are measurable. On a 410 sprint car, I wanted the engine builder to try a set of heads that were a 270cc intake portvs the 295 cc port that everyone was running. The 270 flowed a few cfm up to, but equalled the bigger port off the seat to about .600" lift. The motor made almost equal power, had a broader torque range, and the driver said he never had a motor as responsive ad that one. A prime example of bigger is not always better, in this case. :-)

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Jay, another aspect of looking at potential performance is how quickly the manometer drops while flowing a head. Say for example two heads flow 180cfm@.500" valve lift. Both appear to be good potential candidates to choose, one may have a 96cc intake port while the other has an 86 cc intake port. See what I mean? I am not saying the flowbench is not important as a lot can be learned in development and used to reproduce a head that works well vs one that does not. Turbulence, tumble, swirl, and airflow are measurable. On a 410 sprint car, I wanted the engine builder to try a set of heads that were a 270cc intake portvs the 295 cc port that everyone was running. The 270 flowed a few cfm up to, but equalled the bigger port off the seat to about .600" lift. The motor made almost equal power, had a broader torque range, and the driver said he never had a motor as responsive ad that one. A prime example of bigger is not always better, in this case. :-)

Nicely said. I am no expert but I've done alot of reading and hung around a few porters and the good ones say what you just said, :nod: The others just say hog it out, so I run, lol. :(

Directconnection
10-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Ok guys.... you do realize that this is a VENDOR'S thread started from a VENDOR right? Please re-read the rules and then start your own blabbery-blabber talk in another forum.:nod:

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Ok guys.... you do realize that this is a VENDOR'S thread started from a VENDOR right? Please re-read the rules and then start your own blabbery-blabber talk in another forum.:nod:

Go away!!!!!!!!! So you want us to start another thread on Turbododge.com? :confused:

:D