PDA

View Full Version : TIII spirit rt smoking help

91RT
10-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Hey everyone I've been trying to figure out a problem on my tiii rt, when you start it up it idles and warms up fine but when its warmed up it starts smoking a whole lot outta the exhaust its got a slight oil smell. The car has brand new valve seals, valve guides, freshly rebuilt turbo, new drainback tube, and I recently put the pcv system back to stock. All my sparkplugs look clean and brand new, I don't know what could be causeing this can anyone help me get this car running right?
Thanks a lot
Mike

Kryp2nitE
10-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Is the smoke worse with boost?

When you say put the PCV back to stock, the pieces are new? Did you get a plastic PCV from a regular parts store?

Any oil coming from under the oil fill cap?

Smoke is blue right?

DOHCRT
10-16-2012, 10:41 AM
When you say new...did you get a new PCV rubber elbow? I fought an issue like this when I did the TIII swap into the CSX-T. I checked and re-checked everything 3-4 times. I dropped the pan to check for obstructions in the drainback tube or issues with the windage tray. I had turbo swaps down to 20 minutes without jacking up the car to verify the turbo was not the culprit. I changed valve stem seals. I was going nuts until one day I pulled the brand new (from Chrysler) PCV rubber elbow off the car and tried to blow through it. No go; during the molding process, there was some flash left over that completely blocked the air flow and just pumped oil into the intake. It was not visible at a glance from the outside of the elbow, I had to use an x-acto knife to get down to the flash to remove it. What a PITA and it cost me a cat to boot with the amount of oil pumped through there.

91RT
10-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Is the smoke worse with boost?

When you say put the PCV back to stock, the pieces are new? Did you get a plastic PCV from a regular parts store?

Any oil coming from under the oil fill cap?

Smoke is blue right?

blueish smoke, stock plastic pcv valve from a store, i didnt take the car into boost to see if it gets worse, i didnt see any oil coming from the oil fill cap

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

When you say new...did you get a new PCV rubber elbow? I fought an issue like this when I did the TIII swap into the CSX-T. I checked and re-checked everything 3-4 times. I dropped the pan to check for obstructions in the drainback tube or issues with the windage tray. I had turbo swaps down to 20 minutes without jacking up the car to verify the turbo was not the culprit. I changed valve stem seals. I was going nuts until one day I pulled the brand new (from Chrysler) PCV rubber elbow off the car and tried to blow through it. No go; during the molding process, there was some flash left over that completely blocked the air flow and just pumped oil into the intake. It was not visible at a glance from the outside of the elbow, I had to use an x-acto knife to get down to the flash to remove it. What a PITA and it cost me a cat to boot with the amount of oil pumped through there.

i didnt get a new pcv elbow

BaxterStockman
10-16-2012, 04:12 PM
(Use a TT Supra PCV valve, part number 12204-46020. You'll need a variety of hoses and tees/elbows to make it work, but it's worth it as the valve actually holds boost.)

As for the smoke, have you done a compression and leakdown test? Somebody please confirm this, but I would think that, if you had a bad ring, the engine would begin smoking right away, not just when it's warmed up. But you never know, could be rings.

Other questions: Does your oil dipstick pop out? How much oil does the engine consume? Are there any other symptoms besides the smoke?

(Also, could be a bad turbo rebuild...)

91RT
10-16-2012, 10:21 PM
(Use a TT Supra PCV valve, part number 12204-46020. You'll need a variety of hoses and tees/elbows to make it work, but it's worth it as the valve actually holds boost.)

As for the smoke, have you done a compression and leakdown test? Somebody please confirm this, but I would think that, if you had a bad ring, the engine would begin smoking right away, not just when it's warmed up. But you never know, could be rings.

Other questions: Does your oil dipstick pop out? How much oil does the engine consume? Are there any other symptoms besides the smoke?

(Also, could be a bad turbo rebuild...)

turbo is perfectly fine, i sent it back for it to get rechecked and its all good, dipstick dosnt pop out, im gonna check the compression and leakdown sometime this week, no other symptoms that i know of (havent driven it yet tho, the excessive smoke scares me to drive it)

Lotashelbys
10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
One good thing about a TIII is how easy it is to do a leak-down test. Loosen both rocker shafts to close all valves after warming the motor up. Thats how I always check health of the rings and valves on TIIIs.

91RT
10-26-2012, 08:07 PM
ok so i finally got time to do a leakdown test and the results where cyl1 10% cyl2 14% cyl3 13% cyl4 9% leakage couldnt feel any leaking from anything, driving: dosnt smoke in boost to much smokes more at stops and when idling then reving it up alittle to around 1500rpm, also put a boost gauge on my dipstick tube and the crankcase never saw pressure so does that mean the pcv system is working?

thanks a lot,
mike

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2012, 08:40 PM
What do you plugs look like now you have some miles on them? If they are still clean then there are only 2 places it can come from, turbo or exhaust guides/seals.

91RT
10-26-2012, 09:03 PM
plugs looked fine

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2012, 09:19 PM
plugs looked fine

Pics?

IF they are clean you have your answer, :(

What valve seals did they use?

91RT
11-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Pics?

IF they are clean you have your answer, :(

What valve seals did they use?

Sorry its been alttle hecktic(sp)) withthe hurrican nonesence, used fwdperformance valve seals and guides, ivebeen driving it around more recently and it dosnt seen to be smoking anymore..... I dont know im gonna keep driving it and see what how it does

turbovanmanČ
11-04-2012, 02:04 AM
No worries, could be the turbo seating in if that's possible.