PDA

View Full Version : Omni glhs rack

roachjuice
10-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Ok I've searched high and low for a replacement quick ratio steering rack for this GLHS in my garage. So far I've come up with A1 Cardone part number 22-306. That's for a quick ratio rack for an 86 Omni with performance suspension. Oreillys cant get it. Advance auto can't get it. Autozone doesn't seem to have anything. Honestly Is the quick ratio rack that much quicker Than the one without performance suspension? Will it bolt right up? Anyone have a lead where I can get one?

T-Bohn
10-15-2012, 03:00 PM
well it ain't easy. I got a rack from a member here.

There are some good rebuild places and some recent threads on this very subject.

I wouldn't want a slow rack in my car

"Say No to Slow"

135sohc
10-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Not a direct comparison but:

Much by mistake I ended up getting a fast ratio rack when I replaced the rack in my Shadow and to be honest I cant stand it. It turns faster yes but the tire travel isnt as great because they set the stops sooner I guess for stability purposes and because the bigger tires would rub sooner vs the 14" tires the lesser cars came with. The old 'standard' rack I could cut a really tight U-turn and be in the inside line, this new one has the turning radius of a damn school bus in comparison :mad:

roachjuice
10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Ok another question. The bellow boot thing that goes in the firewall from the rack. Is it supposed to have fluid in it?

T-Bohn
10-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Ok another question. The bellow boot thing that goes in the firewall from the rack. Is it supposed to have fluid in it?

No, not really but I found some in mine as well. I am not sure where it came from...

roachjuice
10-15-2012, 11:13 PM
I think it's called the worm shaft. Or something along those lines. I think the worm shaft seal is leaking causing oil to go on the floorboard. The rack seems fine. Seems tight. Nothing clunking around. Gonna take it apart up there and see.

black86glhs
10-16-2012, 03:10 AM
Should be able to get seals for it.

The one I took out of my GLHS is sitting in the garage. I swapped to a manual rack. Interested?

roachjuice
10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Should be able to get seals for it.

The one I took out of my GLHS is sitting in the garage. I swapped to a manual rack. Interested?

Maybe. Is it still good? How much?

tryingbe
10-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I got my rebuild GLH(S) rack from Napa. They had to pull out a book to get the part number as the part number in the computer was wrong for GLH, it was 5 years ago.