PDA

View Full Version : head gasket replacement

LeBaronMike
10-14-2012, 10:30 PM
I am replacing my head gasket and head bolts on my 2.5 turbo II. Any suggestions on what type of head gasket material or brand i should get?
Also is the 2.5L 10mm or 11mm head bolts?

onerippinturbo2
10-14-2012, 10:38 PM
you want a mopar performance 006 head gasket and 11mm head bolts/ or headstuds.

cordes
10-14-2012, 10:40 PM
+1 on running an MP gasket. It's been too long for me to remember which one to recommend though. IIRC guys were running the 005 on everything recently? As stated 11mm head bolts are what came in the 2.5 turbo cars. I always used the MP bolts, but last I checked the cost was enough for me to go with the ARP studs given the difference in cost.

tryingbe
10-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Felpro headgasket and head bolt work fine.

LeBaronMike
10-15-2012, 03:02 PM
okay auto value has the felpro gasket and bolts in stock. I read bad reviews on that brand though...
is the gasket part number the same for with turbo and without turbo?

zin
10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
The right Fel-Pro and good bolts should be fine for most builds/replacements, especially since the MP gaskets may not be available anymore... BTW, anyone have any new info on this?

Mike

roachjuice
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
The right Fel-Pro and good bolts should be fine for most builds/replacements, especially since the MP gaskets may not be available anymore... BTW, anyone have any new info on this?

Mike

Ditto on the felpro. They have come a long way. I ran one on my first head gasket job. It lasted 2 years at 20psi. It blew because I didn't clean out one of the holes for the head bolts good enough and it didn't get enough torque on it. It blew right there where that hole was.

Big_P
10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Never had a problem with felpro and I've done probably 5 head gaskets on these things.

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't like the 006, blocks too much coolant flow, but at this point, there are only a few options left.

You can even reuse the stock head bolts if they pass the test, check out www.thedodgegarage.com

Try the dealer for head gaskets, some are still available.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Mike

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?67371-Its-official-we-are-screwed-for-head-gaskets!&highlight=official

DOHCRT
10-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Felpro 9296PT worked to 18-21 psi on multiple (10+) different vehicles. Its all about the prep; clean headbolt holes, good/new bolts or studs, proper torque and a completely clean head and block interface. I use half a roll of lint free towels and lacquer thinner to clean both surfaces prior to install.

Never had a problem with felpro and I've done probably 5 head gaskets on these things.