PDA

View Full Version : HX35 any good for our 2.5 or TIII's?

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Title says it all, its of a 97 Dodge Ram, durrrr, lol!

Will Martin
08-13-2006, 12:16 AM
I'll let you look at mine when you come over tomorrow. It's an HY35 and was used on a 2.4 motor.

DeckSetter
08-13-2006, 01:18 PM
RUN IT.

I've been looking into these for a while, and here's basically what I've come up with from research.....

The HX35W comes on the manual trucks, the HY35W comes on the automatics.

Compressor sides are the same on both turbos, but the HX35W has a bigger exhaust side. The exhaust housing has a split inlet on the HX though, and with a pulse manifold with the right pairing (1&4, 2&3) the HX should spool up as fast as an HY, maybe even a little faster. One thread said the pulse manifold will reduce your spool time by 1000rpm.

The general consensus from what I've gathered is it's probably too much turbo for an 8v unless you're HEAVILY ported, but it should do well on the 16v. It's really coming into its own at 30psi, and you can probably run 40 if you like.

The downside is it's not water cooled. If you give it proper cooldown time you'll be fine. Cummins recommends 5 minutes at idle after heavy towing.

Lots of turbo ford guys have run the HY/HX35W on their 2.3s, and I think a couple have even moved up to an HX40.

Since you're going TIII, I bet you'll love it. I've already got 2 HY's to rebuild in the garage right now for when I go 2.4.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks, its really cheap on Ebay so I will bid on it and see what happens.

daytonaturbo87
08-13-2006, 06:29 PM
RUN IT.

I've been looking into these for a while, and here's basically what I've come up with from research.....

The HX35W comes on the manual trucks, the HY35W comes on the automatics.

Compressor sides are the same on both turbos, but the HX35W has a bigger exhaust side. The exhaust housing has a split inlet on the HX though, and with a pulse manifold with the right pairing (1&4, 2&3) the HX should spool up as fast as an HY, maybe even a little faster. One thread said the pulse manifold will reduce your spool time by 1000rpm.

The general consensus from what I've gathered is it's probably too much turbo for an 8v unless you're HEAVILY ported, but it should do well on the 16v. It's really coming into its own at 30psi, and you can probably run 40 if you like.

The downside is it's not water cooled. If you give it proper cooldown time you'll be fine. Cummins recommends 5 minutes at idle after heavy towing.

Lots of turbo ford guys have run the HY/HX35W on their 2.3s, and I think a couple have even moved up to an HX40.

Since you're going TIII, I bet you'll love it. I've already got 2 HY's to rebuild in the garage right now for when I go 2.4.

thanks for the info about the HX versus the HY, I was always wondering that myself. I've also heard that people running 16v have had great results with the hy35's, but I too think it'd be way too much for a stock or barely ported 8v head to spool decently.

DeckSetter
08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Simon - how cheap? I picked up one of my HY35Ws for $51 shipped, needs a rebuild and an exhaust impeller though... Hoping to take the one off the other one I bought with a jacked up compressor side.

Watch them for a couple of weeks, you'll see one or two go DIRT cheap.

Will Martin
08-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Simon just left a little while ago from my house. I showed him my HC-1 (for some reason I thought I had an HY) Holset which has a split inlet as well and a huge exhaust side. It was run on a 2.4 16V motor as I also have the manifold and external wastegate for it. I put it next to my T3/T4 .48 stage II turbo and it made it look tiny! lol

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Simon - how cheap? I picked up one of my HY35Ws for $51 shipped, needs a rebuild and an exhaust impeller though... Hoping to take the one off the other one I bought with a jacked up compressor side.

Watch them for a couple of weeks, you'll see one or two go DIRT cheap.

Its up to $39 and its not broken, it also comes with a DP. If I really wanted, I could bolt it up and go, :thumb:

Simon just left a little while ago from my house. I showed him my HC-1 (for some reason I thought I had an HY) Holset which has a split inlet as well and a huge exhaust side. It was run on a 2.4 16V motor as I also have the manifold and external wastegate for it. I put it next to my T3/T4 .48 stage II turbo and it made it look tiny! lol

No sh*t Sherlock, :eyebrows:

whywoody
08-14-2006, 12:02 AM
I am using an early (98?) hy35 on my 2.5 16v,and I find it to be great.I only run up to stock smec boost cut-out,and find that it is hardly any less responsive than the ford .60/dodge .48 combination I was previously using.Once it begins building boost,it builds and pulls very hard,excellent for the money these things now cost.:thumb:

DeckSetter
08-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I am using an early (98?) hy35 on my 2.5 16v,and I find it to be great.I only run up to stock smec boost cut-out,and find that it is hardly any less responsive than the ford .60/dodge .48 combination I was previously using.Once it begins building boost,it builds and pulls very hard,excellent for the money these things now cost.

well heeeeeeeck yeeeeeeeah! That's what I want to hear!

DeckSetter
08-14-2006, 07:58 PM
did you guys see this thread?

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99321

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2006, 11:17 PM
I have now. :D

Boost_Virgin
08-18-2006, 11:23 AM
There is also a thread over at TD in the TIII setcion. Wallace posted a pic of his set up in the R/T. You guys might want to read that too.

David Bohrer
08-18-2006, 02:48 PM
If you can get your hands on a Natural Gas Cummins truck engine's turbo it will have a water and oil provisions on it's Hx35. I have one on my neon but, I do not use the water cooling ports.

Tony Hanna
08-19-2006, 07:46 AM
I posted on TD about using a Holset HX35 on an 8 valve 2.5. I never ended up trying it because I needed the car for a driver and it was basically uncharted territory at that time. Still, the thread ended up with a good bit of useful information if you're interested.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73632
HTH,

turbovanmanČ
08-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Great thread Tony, I am going to sticky this for now then move it later to the FAQ section.

Tony Hanna
08-21-2006, 02:32 AM
That's a good idea. I'd still like to hear results from anybody that's fooled around with one on an 8 valve engine. The HX35 I bought is still around and if John doesn't end up using it on his 16v project, I may end up trying it eventually for curiosity's sake if nothing else.

Millerman340
12-15-2006, 11:56 PM
just got the Bullseye housing! http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/millerman340/2006_1215holset-bullseye0002.jpg

Millerman340
12-15-2006, 11:57 PM
After looking at Wallace's pics I aligned the oil inlet with the waste gate housing casting. http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/millerman340/2006_1215holset-bullseye0015.jpg

Millerman340
12-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Now I need to cut off the casting for the waste gate can & make a new bracket for it in the right place. http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/millerman340/2006_1215holset-bullseye0022.jpg

turbovanmanČ
12-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Is your car dynoed as it Dave? then we will know how much more or less power you make, :eyebrows: :thumb:

Millerman340
12-16-2006, 12:17 AM
After the cal ,but before the holset I think would be best? Still looking for a good cal.

turbovanmanČ
12-16-2006, 12:18 AM
After the cal ,but before the holset I think would be best?

I would say whatever you have now or are going to do, then put the Holset on and go back, but change nothing else, except fuel of course, if needed.

Millerman340
12-16-2006, 12:22 AM
I've already put the 3" on & I still need a trim cal or better,After its ready for the holset I'll dyno it then swap turbos.

turbovanmanČ
12-16-2006, 02:21 AM
I've already put the 3" on & I still need a trim cal or better,After its ready for the holset I'll dyno it then swap turbos.

Excellent, :nod: :D

whywoody
12-16-2006, 01:34 PM
How are you going to mount the wastegate actuator?
I made a simple clamp for the compressor intake filter that has a mount piggybacked for the actuator.I used a large can from an old turbo,and modified it's rod to be adjustable.
I could take some pics if you guy's are interested,it's easy to get at.

turbovanmanČ
12-16-2006, 01:36 PM
How are you going to mount the wastegate actuator?
I made a simple clamp for the compressor intake filter that has a mount piggybacked for the actuator.I used a large can from an old turbo,and modified it's rod to be adjustable.
I could take some pics if you guy's are interested,it's easy to get at.

Post away, :thumb:

Millerman340
12-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I have no clue at the moment,please share!

whywoody
12-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Not the best pics,but I could remove it another time and take some better shots if people would like.

Millerman340
01-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Just got the 3" v band flange!

Millerman340
01-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Now to make it work, Unless you buy a complete setup the housing does not come cut to use the v band flange. So you have to remove the divider. Also the 38mm puck hits the v band to soon for my liking . I'm going to mill a slot or dish in the cover to make more room.

LynX853
01-04-2007, 02:25 AM
im looking for either a hy or hx-35 anyone got one for sale?

Millerman340
01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Well I went low tech to cut it out. Used a hand grinder to show that it can be done without using a drill / mill press. If u do this watch where the flange thins out. I made it wide & cut through at the corner, Welded it up from the inside & reground it again.

W.P._Turbocars
01-06-2007, 02:35 AM
I would like to know more on an 8 valve setup. I found one super cheap.

I have read all the other posts and threads but still have more questions. How will it work with a 5 speed? Everyone running one seems to be leaning to an auto. Also, how about making a header to place it over the top of the tranny/ would that make it spool a lot slower (higher R's needed?) Would one run better on an early head or a later head? I havw both in the shop so I could go either way. Obviously 3 inch exauhst. lol This would be a DD ,but wouldn't be getting opened up all the way everyday. Any more light on the subject would help a lot.

Gary

Millerman340
01-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Some jy finds for the swap, These came off a power stroke ford van. the 3" v band 90 will work for me & only cost me $5 . The 4" to 3" elbow was $10 & the v band clamps were free! There is 4 more of these Vans sitting there.

86Shelby
01-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Nice work Millerman340!!! I will remember to look for those vans when it comes time and I go to a V-band setup!!

Millerman340
01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I'll grab you one if you need one. In orlando we have alot of them used as taxi's so they are common to see.

86Shelby
01-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't need one now, later down the road when I run out of turbo and upgrade...

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Great find on the V-band setup, :thumb:

Millerman340
01-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I had to drop back 5 & punt on the dp, so here's the revised version

Millerman340
01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Almost ready!

Millerman340
01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I just could not wait!

2.216VTurbo
01-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I just could not wait!

It's alright, we didn't really want to wait for the pics either:thumb:

I am assuming one bung on the DP is for the O2 sensor and the other is for wide band? The Innovate system says not to expose the sensor to higher than 900' f Are other wideband sensors more heat tollerant that their 'Cadillac' sensor?

When's the maiden voyage???:thumb:

Millerman340
01-16-2007, 10:27 PM
well I guess I should have checked that out before I put two that close! I've already had it out. It spools like the stock turbo to me but just does not hit as hard at low boost. I had by brother with me & he said it feels the same as the last time I took him for a blast. So until the trim cal goes in at least the head gasket will stay happy:eyebrows:

mcsvt
01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
I had also read the same thing about WB sensors.

But on topic :) that setup looks great :thumb:

Millerman340
01-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Yea it's neat but I'm not sure that it's that cost effective vs a hybrid turbo. I have over $700 in this project already. I had to cut the ear off the tranny, cut the stud off the bobble strut & the compressor housing is hitting the shifter cable housing making the shifter cable bind a little I'll fix that when I replace the trans. Now I just turned the head gasket into a toro sprinkler (just a small spray right now) even at the same boost level that the stock snail was running. At least the exaust pipe has v bands on both ends to put another bung downstream for a wide band sensor. But on a positive note I can't really tell much difference driving the car.

Millerman340
01-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I took the r/t to work today ,Well since I'm needing a head gasket anyways I closed the g valve to see where I hit boost cut. Keep in mind that everything is still stock.(Let me tell you that this thing will be a rocket when I get a trim cal & put all the necessary parts on to support the holset). Now back to my story, 1st & 2nd are pretty much rendered useless except for the squalling . You can hear & feel it spool about 2500 or about the same place as the stock Garrett and unless someone told me that there was a hx35 on there I would not know. I guess with 1st there is not enough load to spool past the cut spinning, It hits the boost cut about 4 grand or so in 2nd spinning , 3rd hits the cut about 3500 or so rolling in from about 2000 .It's about the same for fourth. I'm assuming that with the waste gate having to open way before the turbo hits 14 lbs to keep it of the cut that was why it felt soft when I first drove it. The feeling that my assometer was sending to my brain made a big grin come on my face that's still there typing this:wow1: :wow1: I was almost home I got on it one more time & blew the hose off the turbo outlet. I can see why people like the hybrid if they run like this but I've never driven one so I have nothing to compare to as far as spool. I'm trying to give the most unfiltered thoughts about the holset that I can.
I just hope that the Bullseye housing does not choke the turbo off a higher rpm under high boost.

lancer117
01-20-2007, 09:12 PM
good job , sounds like fun . hey i was wondering where is that junk yard that you seen the DP on the van? i wanted to see if i could use something like that for my SL ? i just got my car running so i might see you on the road :thumb: . i like your car, i just got in to TD's so i wanted to find some guys around here that rock the TD . i live right by 50 and 436 so maybe we can meet up and go to track or something . anyways , nice ride:thumb:

Millerman340
01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
There at the LKQ east 50 and the Greenway, Look on the left in the phord section. I'm shooting for wednesday night so see whats up with the r/t...Dave.

lancer117
01-21-2007, 01:53 AM
cool thanks , i would like to see if i could come out to check out the track . but i have school monday thru friday at night at UTI . well maybe another time . good luck :thumb:

lancer117
01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
thanks dave , i got my DP from the van on sunday . thanks for the info, plus it was only 5$ and some change:D . you ever need anything let me know

Matt

BEP Nick
01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Well hello everyone.

I am from Bullseye Power and was googling our name and came up with this thread. I am glad to see that people are using our Holset turbine housings. We have sold tons (literally) of these turbine housings and always seem to get great response from any one that has used them.

We have had one customer that made 560whp on a 2.0L EVO around 30psi so that goes to show that our turbine housing can flow enough to make great power.

Anyways I just thought I would drop in and let you know if you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them.

LAter

Nick

Millerman340
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi Nick, I finally got it on the R/T .You see all the work I had to do to make the v band work ,So do you think there anything that can be done about the problems?..Dave.

BEP Nick
01-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Nick, I finally got it on the R/T .You see all the work I had to do to make the v band work ,So do you think there anything that can be done about the problems?..Dave.

We can do the machining on the divider and the V-band adaptor. We have had to do that on some other applications. We have that figured out. :thumb:

If you want to let us have your DP for awhile I might be able to get a production run made for anyone else that would like to use our housings.

We can do other turbos besides the the holset. We can do it for the Mitsu TD05H turbine wheel. What I would like to see if the New Borg Warner "S" lineup on some of these cars. It is really hard to beat the bang for the buck of the holsets.

LAter

Nick

Millerman340
01-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Send me the B/W & a housing and I'll let you know!. When you try to bolt up the v band cover the bolts hit the housing. I'll add a link for you to see.[ there is 3 problems there can't get the bolt in without cutting the flange ,no clearance for the head & the mounting surface is not flat so you have to grind it flat for the bolt or nut. Dave.

BEP Nick
01-30-2007, 05:55 PM
OK. I see what you are talking about now. Only have that problem on the 3" v-bands. There is enough clearance on the 2.5" ones. We have done two things to get around that:
1st- use studs instead of bolts there. It makes it a tiny bit easier.
2nd- We have welded the v-band flange onto the turbine housing. Makes it REALLY hard to change the wastegate if you ever needed to, but most people never will have to touch that.

Tony Hanna
02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
...You can hear & feel it spool about 2500 or about the same place as the stock Garrett and unless someone told me that there was a hx35 on there I would not know.

So, just out of curiosity, how would you guess it would spool on an 8v 2.5?
If you're saying it spools about like the stock Garrett on a 16v, and we know people have used the stock 16v turbos on 8v cars, maybe the Holset wouldn't be too bad on an 8v...
I'm pretty curious about this and was planning to put an HX35 on my old Daytona but scrapped the idea because it hadn't been done before and I needed the car to drive. That Holset and a redrilled exhaust manifold are still around and the Sundance needs rid of the little mitsu.:)

Millerman340
02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
keep in mind that I have the bullseye housing, But with that I think that it would be a no brainer! I don't know how much room on the Sundance ,you might have to make clearance for it.

turbovanmanČ
02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Great job, :thumb:

Tony Hanna
02-22-2007, 10:16 PM
keep in mind that I have the bullseye housing, But with that I think that it would be a no brainer! I don't know how much room on the Sundance ,you might have to make clearance for it.

I'm gonna have to read back through this thread to get caught up, so forgive me if I'm asking something that you already covered. What's the difference between the bullseye housing and the stocker? When I was considering doing this initially, I was planning on cutting the divider in the stock housing back a little and knife-edging it.
John and I actually had it mocked up on an engine stand at one point and it looked like it was going to fit. I seem to recall that clearence between the compressor housing and the bottom of the intake looked a little tight, but probably nothing that couldn't be cured with some grinding. We were fooling with this in an open carport in the winter last time which is a big part of the reason it didn't go to far. Now that I've got a heated garage to work in, I may just give it another shot.
Only problem is I gave John a bunch of my spare parts when I moved including the Holset and spare engine blocks. I need to see if he minds if I reposess the Holset and borrow a block so I can get it on a stand and work out the details like compressor housing orientation, downpipe and wastegate. I'd like to get all that taken care of before I pull the head on the Sundance so the swap doesn't take forever.:thumb:

Millerman340
02-22-2007, 10:30 PM
I've read that the bullseye is smaller than the 9cm housing on the hy35. Something like .55 or so A/R & stock is .68 or so.

Tony Hanna
02-22-2007, 10:36 PM
I've read that the bullseye is smaller than the 9cm housing on the hy35. Something like .55 or so A/R & stock is .68 or so.

Ouch! It's the HX35 with the big turbine housing. This sucker's probably gonna spool pretty late then.:(

Tony Hanna
03-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Well, I finally got around to mocking up the Holset/redrilled stock manifold to see if the compressor housing would clear the bottom of the intake. It does with about 1/2" to spare.:D The only issue I can see is limited space for the wastegate actuater rod, but a couple bends in the right places should clear that up.:)

moparzrule
03-23-2007, 09:43 PM
The HY35 is a better choice for 8V turbo dodges. It has a slightly smaller compressor wheel than an HX35 (but not much, and certainly much larger than even a 50 trim T04E) but the turbine is much much better suited for our cars. An HY35 is probably good for 400+ WHP, HX35 should definitely only be used in over 400 WHP applications and definitely drag only cars.

Tony Hanna
03-29-2007, 08:40 PM
The HY35 is a better choice for 8V turbo dodges. It has a slightly smaller compressor wheel than an HX35 (but not much, and certainly much larger than even a 50 trim T04E) but the turbine is much much better suited for our cars. An HY35 is probably good for 400+ WHP, HX35 should definitely only be used in over 400 WHP applications and definitely drag only cars.

Maybe...
But the divided tang turbine housing on the HX35 offers a bit of an advantage. I don't think I have the room to make a proper header to take advantage of the divided tang housing without some serious fabrication and firewall clearancing, so I'm planning to eventually build something like this to go between the stock manifold and turbo.
http://www.speedshopthagard.com/pics/projects/280Z_Turbo/spoolyjobby1.jpg
I'm gonna use an old wastegate can as an actuater for the valve instead of the cable rig in the picture. In theory it'll block one side of the housing effectively halving the a/r. The increased velocity should spool the turbo pretty quickly. Once it's building enough boost to overcome the spring in the actuater, the valve will open the other side of the housing for full flow. A G-valve type mbc inline with the actuater would add even more control.:thumb: I just need to figure out what to build the thing out of. I think the one in the picture is hastelloy. I'll probably end up going with mild steel for the plate and inconel for the valve and pivot. I should be able to fish something out of a scrap pile on a job that will serve the purpose.:)

t3rse
03-29-2007, 09:31 PM
there are 8v ford guys making over 500 with the hy on heads that don't flow much better than ours

Tony Hanna
03-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Millerman340,
If you're still following this thread, what did you do for an oil feed line? I'm thinking about just using stainless braided from a local speedshop, but the inlet on the Holset is an oddball size (12 mm I think). I need to find something to go from that to whatever size AN fitting is on the line I get.
Speaking of which, the fitting on the distribution block is AN isn't it? I wonder what size it is?
Thanks,
Tony

shelby zed
03-30-2007, 12:38 AM
so im confused, are they waaay to big for an 8 valve?

moparzrule
03-30-2007, 06:43 AM
An HX35? Pretty much yes unless you are making ATLEAST 400 WHP. Like T3RSE said the for 8V guys are making 500 HP on the HY, if you are capable of making that power with the smaller HY why sacrifice the spool-up of the larger HX?

Millerman340
03-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Millerman340,
If you're still following this thread, what did you do for an oil feed line? I'm thinking about just using stainless braided from a local speedshop, but the inlet on the Holset is an oddball size (12 mm I think). I need to find something to go from that to whatever size AN fitting is on the line I get.
Speaking of which, the fitting on the distribution block is AN isn't it? I wonder what size it is?
Thanks,
Tony Stock line & taped the holset oil restrictor to size on top. Someone is selling these on e bag just do a search for holset. I'm still beating the hell out it on the stock cal & clutch. I've used the car as my driver ever sense I've owned it.:nod: & with the hx35, Just can't stand to be without it as I love killing ricers & watching their look as smoke just boils off the tires when I pull on them!:partywoot:

Tony Hanna
03-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Stock line & taped the holset oil restrictor to size on top. Someone is selling these on e bag just do a search for holset. I'm still beating the hell out it on the stock cal & clutch. I've used the car as my driver ever sense I've owned it.:nod: & with the hx35, Just can't stand to be without it as I love killing ricers & watching their look as smoke just boils off the tires when I pull on them!:partywoot:

Awsome!:D
Thanks man.

Tony Hanna
04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Another little update on my project. I got a block and engine stand for mockup. The compressor outlet is going to be a nightmare. There's about 2" between the outlet and the back of the head. I think I can make it work though. My plan is to buy a 2.25" short radius 90* cast aluminum elbow, cut the compressor outlet back enough to make room for the elbow to fit, then weld the elbow to the outlet.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,

shad0w2.s_tur80
04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
looking good tony i cant wait to hear how that works out for you cus i ve had that idea for so long but no funding to actulay go through with it:thumb:

Tony Hanna
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
looking good tony i cant wait to hear how that works out for you cus i ve had that idea for so long but no funding to actulay go through with it:thumb:

I know what you're talking about. I'm seriously short on funds myself. It's bad enough that I need to check my bank balance before I spend the $28 for the aluminum elbow that I need for the compressor outlet. :o Luckily I got the turbo a couple years ago when I was working. It's just been sitting around waiting for a home since then. Most of the other stuff I either already have laying around, or know someone that does. If it wasn't for myself and most of my friends being packrats, this project would be dead in the water.:)

Darkapollo
04-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, I just picked one of these Holset turbos out of the T R A S H here at work. Yes, I said trash, it got sent to scrap metal, and well me being such a car guy, couldnt let it goto waste. It has N O shaft play and the wheels spin free with no grinding or anything, the blades show NO wear at all.
Problem is, which model is it? I looked at the ID tag and it did not say HX or HY anywhere on it. It has the split exhaust housing, and the 2-step 'bulls eye' intake, the center section has a V-Clamp and 4 bolts on the compressor, and 2 C-brackets and 4 bolts holding the exhaust. It also does not have a bolt-on down pipe, it is V-Clamp style, meaning I would have to run an external wastegate. I looked at some of the turbos pictured here and it does not have that bracket looking thing near the outlet for the compressor.
Can anyone clue me in as to which model i have? I will look at it again when I get home and post up the item number if that helps.

moparzrule
04-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Can you get a pic? Right now it kinda sounds like a H1C (early version on the HX35) and they are non-wastegated with uge turbine housings. You can find a 12cm wastegated housing from and HX35 for pretty cheap and it's a bolt on.

Darkapollo
04-20-2007, 03:36 PM
I looked at it again and it is an H1E? ive read that they are early HX40's?

dds78910
04-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Another little update on my project. I got a block and engine stand for mockup. The compressor outlet is going to be a nightmare. There's about 2" between the outlet and the back of the head. I think I can make it work though. My plan is to buy a 2.25" short radius 90* cast aluminum elbow, cut the compressor outlet back enough to make room for the elbow to fit, then weld the elbow to the outlet.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,

That looks really nice!:nod: I cant wait to see morre pics.

Tony Hanna
04-20-2007, 07:48 PM
That looks really nice!:nod: I cant wait to see morre pics.

Well, I should have some before too long. I got called out on a job working 7 12's so free time is almost nothing. I've got the compressor housing and elbow ready to weld together, just need to run it up to John since I'm not set up to weld aluminum. After that, all that's left is to fab some kind of exhaust outlet, and mount the wastegate can. It should be ready to go on then.:)

LynX853
04-22-2007, 11:41 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=152759#post152759

pics of my hx-35 build with tbi header

Tony Hanna
04-22-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=152759#post152759

pics of my hx-35 build with tbi header

Care to post up some details like engine mods (port work, etc), anything done with the cal to improve spoolup, ignition timing, and when it spools? Also, is that the divided tang 12cm^2 turbine housing? How does the wastgate act? I've heard they'll boost creep badly unless the wastegate opening is enlarged...
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting pretty close to having mine ready to go on, and I'd like to make sure I've covered all the bases.:)
Thanks,
Tony

LynX853
04-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Care to post up some details like engine mods (port work, etc), anything done with the cal to improve spoolup, ignition timing, and when it spools? Also, is that the divided tang 12cm^2 turbine housing? How does the wastgate act? I've heard they'll boost creep badly unless the wastegate opening is enlarged...
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting pretty close to having mine ready to go on, and I'd like to make sure I've covered all the bases.:)
Thanks,
Tony

well i just finished the oil drain back today, but i rigged it up last week just so I could start it and move it, so I wont have any real "running" info untill tomorrow when the rtv and such dries.

mods are:
Stock 2.5L CB (cross hatching still in bores, 100.000mi on it)
No balance shafts, and Crank Scrapers
LWP port and polished 782 head, with prototype valves, flows 205@.499 lift
FWD Stage 1 cam, teflon coated by LWP
Port and polished TBI header and ceramic coated inside and out by LWP
professionally ported 1 piece intake
52mm Throttle body
highflow fuel rail, with AFPR and SS braided lines with +40 injectors
Holset HX-35, with divided housing internally cut and smoothed 2'' into housing
Cliff Ramsel Trans with RMVB and high stall converter
Spearco 24''X3.5''X10'' Intercooler
RFL blow off
2.5'' aluminum charge pipes
Custom cold air 4'' intake
Water pump modded - Grinded down fins
180* T-Stat
T-2 Radiator
Shelgame is making my custom cal
I have Air Shocks in the rear

and thats all i can think of right now... ill take more pics tomorrow when its running

Tony Hanna
04-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks man! The RPM at onset of boost, full boost, and max boost psi would be really handy too whenever you test it out.:)

LynX853
04-26-2007, 10:19 PM
...timing is still freakin off, im gonna try and fix it this weekend.