PDA

View Full Version : Complete, Momentary Loss of Power

The S is Silent
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
On my way to Atlanta the other day, the van ran great...except for one small problem.

I completely lost all power for a split second three times while driving down the interstate. I lost lights, radio, and spark. It came back so fast that I didn't believe it at first, but then did it again. I hasn't done it since.

What would cause this? The only thing I can think of is the negative terminal coming loose, but I checked it and It's tight. Anything else that could cause it other than a loose battery terminal?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Check the positive side, you could be loosing that. Trace the power wire from the battery and make sure all connections are tight.

GLHSKEN
01-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Because they seem tight does not mean you have a good connection.. Loosen them... rotate the clamps on the terminals back and forth to "clear" up corrosion (there have been times I couldn't see any) and re-tighten.

cordes
01-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Check the positive side, you could be loosing that. Trace the power wire from the battery and make sure all connections are tight.

+1. I actually had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, but it was the negative terminal.

Dietro
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Trace the power wire from the battery and make sure all connections are tight.

I'm sure Simon meant this as well, but let me reiterate that this goes for the negative cable as well. Especially check it's connection to the side of head.

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2006, 04:19 AM
I'm sure Simon meant this as well, but let me reiterate that this goes for the negative cable as well. Especially check it's connection to the side of head.

Yep, I did, :nod:

The S is Silent
01-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Because they seem tight does not mean you have a good connection.. Loosen them... rotate the clamps on the terminals back and forth to "clear" up corrosion (there have been times I couldn't see any) and re-tighten.

I never thought of this. I'll do this before I head back to Clemson from ATL, and hopefully not have the problem anymore. If I still have the problem, I'll go through the harness and find the loose connection (I'm absolutely dreading that).

Thanks guys.

Phreakish
01-12-2006, 05:38 PM
next time it happens, see if your voltage gauge drops rapidly? I have this happen at night with my hi-beams on, and ONLY with them on and everything dies for a split second... radio, engine, etc then comes back.

I think I have a short that is drawing a lot off the batt when it happens, but not sure yet, gonna swap a smec setup into the charger anyway so I'm not that concerned yet :D

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 04:13 AM
Had this happen recently in the Crown Vic except it was just the headlights and they didn't come back on! This happened going about 60 on a particularly curvy stretch of 2 lane late at night.
I agree with checking and cleaning the connections on both ends of both battery cables. Also check all your other underhood grounds and make sure the connections are tight and clean.