PDA

View Full Version : After Socketing

1BADVAN
10-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I have socketed a about 6-8 ECUs so far and hey all have worked, but my question today is what do you guys do with SMECs and SBECs after you are done.

Do you fill the hole of the rubber compound in with something or just leave it open and exposed?

I have heard of using O2 sensor safe silicone, or a hot glue gun. What do you recommend?

RoadWarrior222
10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Many single part silicones tend to release some acetic acid on curing, or while exposed to humidity, which is minor in automotive gasket sealing type use, but in electronics where the faintest hint of corrosion can send things screwy, it would not be good. Acetic acid is destroyed in combustion chamber and won't last in the exhaust side either, so that part is O2 safe. I think it's the minimization of volatile silicon combustion or vapor products that makes them O2 safe.

A way to tell if your silicone has any in is to smear some on a bit of card and keep sniffing at it, if it has the faintest hint of vinegar, don't use...

One recommendation I found was...

A cheap easy to get silicone caulk guaranteed not to give off acid while curing is the stuff sold for repairing and sealing lead roof flashing. It can be found in any building supplies store for the same cost as the regular bathroom sealant type stuff. It’s almost always medium grey and opaque though so doesn’t look as pretty.
I have used it for potting electronics to go in car engine bays and it has survived years of heat, oil and weather just fine.

ShelGame
10-12-2012, 10:12 AM
I use hot glue (it's pretty easy to get it back off if the need ever arises) to fill in around the chip, but I never seal the chip back up. If it's a SMEC, it's pretty well protected by the PM. The SBEC's I cover with clear packing tape.

I'd actually like to find a source for the factory goo.

RoadWarrior222
10-12-2012, 10:24 AM
FYI...
http://www.logwell.com/tech/servtips/RTV.html

135sohc
10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
We use a dow-corning product on the airplane so it wont corrode the aluminum, I'll try to remember to look at the tube next time I'm down there.

1BADVAN
10-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I use hot glue (it's pretty easy to get it back off if the need ever arises) to fill in around the chip, but I never seal the chip back up. If it's a SMEC, it's pretty well protected by the PM. The SBEC's I cover with clear packing tape.

I'd actually like to find a source for the factory goo.
That's good to know i was going to try the hot glue so know I will for sure.

22shelby
10-12-2012, 09:24 PM
yeah i just used some black electrical tape to cover it... never had a problem