PDA

View Full Version : TIII Mounting a Neon coil pack

BaxterStockman
10-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey guys - decided to replace the coil pack in my '92 Spirit R/T with an MSD unit for the Neon. Although the bolt spacing is correct to mount the unit to the bracket that sits on the intake right after the TB, the Neon pack has the terminals oriented horizontally, unlike the vertical orientation of the original unit. Unfortunately, the Neon unit won't fit in the stock location, because two terminals are trying to occupy the same space as an intake runner.

I've seen several folks say that they installed a Neon unit; would anybody be able to fill me in as to how they mounted it? Thanks! :thumb:

shackwrrr
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Depending on your intake setup you could mount it to the valley plate or on top of the intake.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Don't run the MSD, the SRT guys say they brutal for failing. Run a stock Neon unit.

BaxterStockman
10-19-2012, 05:47 PM
For those who are interested, here's what I ended up doing:

I think it looks pretty good - looks even better with the MSD coilpack, but I don't want to get stranded!

On the downside, now the car won't start... :(

Funny thing is, the car worked with the MSD coilpack before (I tried swapping it in after the problems began; no go). I had previously soldered in a new pigtail from Wells, and then just cabletied the coilpack down while I worked on a mount. I redid the wiring, using the pigtail that I got with the stock Neon coilpack and lengthening the three wires to reach the pack at its new mount. I have verified that there is continuity (i.e. no resistance) between the coilpack connector and the PCM connector (pins 17 & 19 for the coils, and pin 57 for the generator). Conveniently, the wires in the Neon pigtail are colored almost exactly the same as the wires in the TIII harness, making matching them up easy. I have also checked that there is between 11k and 14k ohms resistance between coilpack terminals 1 & 4 and 2 & 3.

The symptoms are very strange: with the coilpack unplugged, the engine cranks but does not start. With the coil pack plugged in, the engine cranks two or three times, then stops. When I say stop, I mean stop - as in dead stop. Chug, chug, chug, errgh. It feels like the engine got stuck on something. There is no clicking noise like when the battery is low, and I can hear the fuel pump pressurize.

This is how I have the wires arranged:

Thoughts:

- I soldered in the stock Neon pigtail without disconnecting the battery (I had disconnected the battery when I soldered in the pigtail from Wells).
- Accidentally left the TPS disconnected when I first tried cranking the engine (I had unplugged the TPS when I was redoing the tape and sheathing on the coilpack wires, which come out of the harness at the same place).
- Even before changing the coilpack, the car took what seemed to me to be fairly long to start. Not excessively so, but enough for me to notice.
- Finally, being a dumba**, I had initially arranged the spark plug wires incorrectly on the coilpack (I had hooked them up exactly backwards).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BaxterStockman
10-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Solved (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?68494-Spirit-R-T-backfires-doesn-t-start&p=956223&viewfull=1#post956223). Thanks to Ian and Simon for their help!

tsiconquest88
11-04-2012, 10:12 AM
what did you do wrong that you guys figured out?

shackwrrr
11-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Neon coil has 1-4 coil in the rear and the TIII is in the front so when you wire it up you need to put the spark plug wires on different or just wire it up different.