PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of Mini brake upgrades?

QC DSM ESiT
08-12-2006, 07:58 PM
My front rotors need to be replaced in my Minivan. So instead of replacing them with the factory rotors I was hoping I might be able upgrade them so I can hopefully be able to stop a little better. Does anyone know of some good affordable rotor/pad combo upgrades I might be able to buy?

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Theres a few options-

1) run the stockers and get some ceramic pads
2)Find an 89 or 90 Grand Mini and rob the knuckles, calipers then swap over your wheel hub and 11 inch car rotors-the Grands came with 11's but larger bolt pattern
3) Swap in a 91 2nd Gen K-member, knuckles, calipers and brackets, controls arms and use R/T or GTC 11 in rotors
3) Swap ina 91 and up 2nd Gen K-member and control arms, use R/T or GTC everything else.
4)Install R/T or GTC rear discs, theres a thread on TD on how to do that
5)Install a larger MC, Raybestos part number MC39862, buy some brass adapters from the auto parts store and adjust the pushrod-gives a firm pedal.

QC DSM ESiT
08-13-2006, 12:49 PM
So there's no like same size rotor but slotted or something like that? I don't really want to attempt to find all that stuff just to upgrade my brakes a little bit. I was just hoping to upgrade the rotor and put some better pads on and thats it.

QC DSM ESiT
08-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Well I did some searching around I seem to come across these quite a bit.

http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/basket.php?makeid=7&year=1989&modelid=66&partid=78&brandid=1737

Anyone ever use these before or heard anything about them? I know the drilled ones are supposted to be not as strong but I really wouldn't be stopping hard very often so I don't think it should be a problem with them cracking or anything like that. Anyone know if the Minivans have 100mm bolt circle or 4 1/2" bolt circle?

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Powerstop is a good company I believe. If you have the 14 inch wheels-stock and 10 inch rotors, you have the 5x100mm bolt pattern. What you listed looks good with some ceramic pads, you should be good to go.

QC DSM ESiT
08-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Okay well I'm not sure what rims came stock with the van but I have what I call the "snowflake" rims. Those are 15in. rims so would that still be 5x100mm?

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Okay well I'm not sure what rims came stock with the van but I have what I call the "snowflake" rims. Those are 15in. rims so would that still be 5x100mm?

Ok, if your van came with snowflakes, you probably already have the 11 inch brakes and the large bolt pattern wheels. Measure the rotor and are the caliper brackets/ears part of the knuckle-as in not bolted on?

QC DSM ESiT
08-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Alright popped the wheel off and it looked like it had 10in rotors. I wasn't really sure as to the bracket/ear part you were talking about but I snapped a few quick pictures so hopefully you can help me out. Notice the back side of the rotor, LOL yeah they definitly need replacing.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/QCDSMESiT/Picture003.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/QCDSMESiT/Picture002.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/QCDSMESiT/Picture001.jpg

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Ok, you have small bolt pattern and 10 inch rotors.

By the bracket, you can see the two bolts that hold the caliper bracket, the thing that the caliper is bolted too! :nod: The 11 inch setup, its all one, you can't unbolt it.

QC DSM ESiT
08-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks Turbovanman, you know I probably should just address all my questions straight to you in a PM. All brake setups I've ever seen have the been basically set up like the way mine is. I've never seen it as a whole unit. Sounds like a big PITA to do anything to the 11in. setup though.

turbovanmanČ
08-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks Turbovanman, you know I probably should just address all my questions straight to you in a PM. All brake setups I've ever seen have the been basically set up like the way mine is. I've never seen it as a whole unit. Sounds like a big PITA to do anything to the 11in. setup though.

Not really. Depending on what year and setup, it can be as simple as a knuckle, caliper and rotor swap. :nod: