PDA

View Full Version : '84 tona - swap out 525 for 568

moparfreak
10-07-2012, 09:33 AM
ok, so i scored a 568 trans out of a 91 daytona shelby at the local junkyard (Thanx to Jaren) So i plan to put it in the '84 tona. I've picked a few brains from our chicago chapter but im wondering who has done this and what else you did while you were at it (russ?). I have been told to get the k member/control arms/hub assemblies....but ill lose my 4 lug swiss cheese? And ill lose my unbelievable turning radius if i swap the steering rack along with it? anyone have some good insight as to pro's con's of swapping out said items? I bought the trans/axles/shifter/clutch/pressure plate/flywheel (i hear that jakub ganked the cables, so ill need some cables) but my motor has a six bolt flywheel, instead of the eight bolt i just acquired, will the clutch and pressure plate work on the 6 bolt? or should i be like paul and buy a clutch and build the car around it hahaha? should i just swap engine to common block? thanx, Jeremy

BadAssPerformance
10-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah, pretty sure if you get 89-90 k-member (stamped steel LCAs, not cast LCAs) I think it will bolt right in.

I think the clutch pressure plate mounting bolt pattern is different between 6-bolt and 8-bolt.

turbovanmanČ
10-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Why would you swap out the K-member? Just bolt the BS to the side of the old bracket or weld a new bracket on, Polybushings sell them. The clutch will bolt to your flywheel. Swap the shifter and cables, the trans mount and you should be ok.

roachjuice
10-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Why would you swap out the K-member? Just bolt the BS to the side of the old bracket or weld a new bracket on, Polybushings sell them. The clutch will bolt to your flywheel. Swap the shifter and cables, the trans mount and you should be ok.

If you bolt it to one side of that bobble strut bracket it bill bend the s**t out of it. Been there done that lol. You have to take up the middle space with a spacer or a bunch of washers.

turbovanmanČ
10-07-2012, 11:41 PM
If you bolt it to one side of that bobble strut bracket it bill bend the s**t out of it. Been there done that lol. You have to take up the middle space with a spacer or a bunch of washers.

Well of course, durr!! :D

moparfreak
10-08-2012, 09:08 PM
ok well i've gotten the old one apart to find its just a spring busted out of its place from clutch... just gonna do a new clutch and throw the 525 back in that i know is good vs the 568 junk yard (91 blue shelby daytona @ the pick n pull in summit, IL) that i scored for 124 bux. Giving JT first dibs on purchasing the trans, shifter, axles, carrier bearing, pressure plate/clutch/flywheel.... soooo what clutch to go with $169 FWD-p or $175 from TU? thoughts and suggestions? THANX, Jeremy

roachjuice
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Put the 568 in there. Throw the 525 away. :) personally just pick a clutch. I'm sure there isn't much difference in quality honestly. Flip a coin. Lol.

tryingbe
10-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Put that A568 in gear and spin it by hand. Every gear should spin nice and smooth. Easy way to test it.

You'll also need the shifter and shifter cables. New 17 spline big shaft clutch is less than $200, that will hold 250 ft lb.

I'd never use an A525 again.

cordes
10-14-2012, 02:17 PM
You guys make sure to mail me your 525 internals. I'll pay you for them.

GLHNSLHT2
10-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Because the PB bracket will rip clean out of the frame without a lot of extra bracing. Swapping kframes gives you a strong factory piece that won't tear a hole in the Kmember.

Any 87-88 5spd kmember will bolt in and have the bracket in the right place.

tryingbe
10-14-2012, 05:29 PM

You're 7 years too late. Already sold them.

supercrackerbox
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Go on . . . :eyebrows:

Cliff Ramsdell
10-15-2012, 03:18 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20061127225315/http://www.hometown.aol.com/mopartek/L_body_kframe.html

Bobble strut bracket mount. Works great with the stock shock assembly. I have done dozens like this without a failure.

Cliff ramsdell