PDA

View Full Version : 1984 2.2 Turbo I - air charge sensor

Neat Hedgehog
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I think I've managed to chase all the bugs out of my ignition system, but now I'm having a funny problem on idle in closed loop. The idle just sags down below 950 and dies.

The air charge sensor is the only sensor I haven't replaced. I unplugged it, and it idled just fine. Hooking it back up caused the idle to sag out again.

I can find the Duralast part, but I think that is what the previous owner put in, which doesn't fill me with confidence. Does anyone know of a better replacement part for the 84's?

cordes
10-05-2012, 09:14 PM
IIRC they are all the same connector. Get the open element style and you should be all set. I've never had a problem with the replacements from the parts store. Have you tried ohming yours out to see if it is indeed bad?

roachjuice
10-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't know if it the correct way or not but the coolant temp sensor is the same thing. I've always used them as replacements.

cordes
10-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't know if it the correct way or not but the coolant temp sensor is the same thing. I've always used them as replacements.

The element is not exposed so it totally defeats the purpose. It is a potential quick way to eliminate an erratic charge temp sensor as a possible problem, but only if you have one lying around.

Neat Hedgehog
10-06-2012, 02:01 AM
I did do an ohms test, which came back 6.5k. It is a bit chilly, atm. I'll let it warm up in my apartment before testing again. Supposed to be 5.2k - 5.6k around 77f, right? Wonder if there is a more complete temp guide.

Seems to be reading close to in the normal range, but it sure does nose-dive quickly. I can drop it to well under 5k ohms just by touching the element with my finger. Is that normal?

I get the "power loss" lamp without it plugged in, of course, but it does idle pretty smooth, which is what made me suspect the sensor. With the sensor plugged in, it dies very consistently just a couple minutes after hitting closed loop. Holding the throttle in just a tad will keep it from dying, but it will not do it on it's own. The tach won't even bounce like it's trying to keep from stalling, like the computer doesn't even know that it's losing power so it can try to recover. Just dwindles quietly away to nothing.

Tbird232ci
10-06-2012, 06:23 AM
I had a similar issue. It would go into closed loop, then run like crap. I replaced the air charge and the O2 sensor together. I had a code for the air charge, which went away with replacing it. I used Standard AX7. I got it from rockauto for like 8 bucks.

Neat Hedgehog
10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, I guess I'm not so sure that was the real extent of my problems anymore, since it died completely on me just a few days ago. I somehow got it to idle decently, but after I switched it off, it never came back on.

cordes
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Well, I guess I'm not so sure that was the real extent of my problems anymore, since it died completely on me just a few days ago. I somehow got it to idle decently, but after I switched it off, it never came back on.

What never came back on? The car? Does it crank?