PDA

View Full Version : 8v cam questions

roachjuice
10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Never owned a turbo mopar with an aftermarket cam. This one has a Taft stage 2 from what I've been told. What's the idle supposed to be like? Lopey? Sorta lopey? Good vacuum? My vacuum is 15in at idle. My other Omni had 19-20in vacuum at idle. This one Runs a little rich at idle too. 13.1-13.6ish on my wideband. Does the cam make the computer dump fuel because it's bigger? If So how do i tune it out? I tried pumping eff table and that did nothing. Do i need an adjustable cam gear? What rpm does that cam quit making power at?

Shadowv4l
10-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a FWDperformance F3 cam and it pulls 20-25 vac at idle. The fuel pressure will also effect idle if you get to crazy (assuming its adjustable) it will cause the idle to hunt like a vac leak. Also i was told by some very experienced TD guys to not even bother messing with Mechanical Cam timing, they said "thats how you blow headgaskets". And its not like the benifits are going to be that great, just turn up the boost. With an stock 8 valve head you will run out of breath pretty early and i wouldnt blame the cam right away, you could port the head with a stock cam and see some pretty noticeable changes.

roachjuice
10-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Yea I thought about putting in a stock turbo cam I have laying around to see if the vacuum is effected. I fixed some vacuum leaks today. It actually idles fine. Just rich. Fuel pressure with the line plugged in is 49psi. I may lower it to see if it leans up a bit. Which it should. But in turn will effect wot fuel.

Shadowv4l
10-04-2012, 10:38 PM
have you tried re-setting the IAC? i think there was a certain sequence of unplugging some ---- to get it to do a full swing so it can find center again. Everytime I go to do it i forgot from the last time of having to do it. lol, and i'm only 24

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

I think i have my bro's omni somewhere around 50psi, we have been tweaking it since we got it running so it could be less than that now. And im not sure about the cam having effect on how much fuel the car is using, i just think it has an effect on idle performance which in turn can effect how rich or lean it runs.