PDA

View Full Version : 95 caravan a670 drives in neutral no reverse

dvdjsn
10-01-2012, 03:24 PM
low reverse band operates o.k. with air,motor lugs in park,goes forward in neutral but wont shift,shifts real good in drive....I have vb out,stareing at it..oil smells burned...do I need a kit or just clean all the valves?starter works in park and neutral

RoadWarrior222
10-01-2012, 03:50 PM
That's an odd one, sounds like linkage problems, but since neutral reverse switch is engaged inside the trans, seems unpossible for it to still start in park and neutral, unless that quadrant thing has spun on the shaft.... or the neutral reverse switch is also pooched or hotwired.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Any metal in the pan/magnet? I would redo the valve body, check for sticking valves etc. It could be the sprag let go too or you have internal damage you can't see.

dvdjsn
10-02-2012, 12:40 AM
what is a sprag? starts only in neutral and park, backup lights work..had some metal flakes ,150,000 miles..has good power in drive no slippage..manual valve has a little side play.how to redo valve body?does somebody sell a kit? have never done one...

RoadWarrior222
10-02-2012, 06:37 AM
No R&R kit for them really, pick up another, you can use any lockup VB from any Chrysler 3 speed between '87 and '99ish, the tuning might be very slightly different, which is mostly accomplished through the hole sizes in the separator plate, so you can use the one out of yours if you want completely stock feel... but as the years went on they got a hair more refined for responsiveness, so may as well leave it be.

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2012, 08:31 PM
what is a sprag? starts only in neutral and park, backup lights work..had some metal flakes ,150,000 miles..has good power in drive no slippage..manual valve has a little side play.how to redo valve body?does somebody sell a kit? have never done one...

There are no kits, but if you plan on trying to fix it yourself, buy a manual, ATSG makes one, otherwise your going to be pulling your hair out. Check with local shops too see if they have any good ones. We can also modify them for better shifts etc which I can do if you send it to me or I can build one and ship it to you if you can't find anyone locally.

dvdjsn
10-03-2012, 01:54 AM
will try to get manual.there is a lot of mysterious valves.would taking all the valves out and cleaning it with carb cleaner help? filter had varnish flakes in it but was other wise clean,I took it apart..thanks every body. you have given me confidence.

turbovanmanČ
10-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Sprag is the one way clutch at the bottom of the trans, you can check it with the pan and valve body removed. Its simply a one way drum, so it should only move one way and lock the other.

If the valves are stuck then yes, it will cause issues but wait until you get the manual.

Also check band adjustments, the front band is adjusted outside of the case, 18mm lock nut and 10mm stud, loosen locknut, snug down the stud, back off 1.5 turns. The rear should be done with a torque wrench but I aim for about 1/2-3/4 inch of play on the apply lever.

Cliff Ramsdell
10-03-2012, 05:24 AM
The rear clutch pack is burned up/welded together. To understand how things work you need to know what's applied when.

Park, nothing applied
Reverse, Front clutch and Low/reverse band applied
Neutral, nothing applied
drive (3rd gear) rear clutch & front clutch
drive (2nd gear( rear clutch and the kickdown band
drive (1st gear ) rear clutch and the overrunning clutch
If you place the shifter in 1st gear than the rear clutch and low/reverse band are applied.

So, it needs to come out and apart for a rebuild. Can't do it, drop me an email and I can build one for you.

Cliff Ramsdell
Mopartek@aol.com

RoadWarrior222
10-03-2012, 06:55 AM
^^^^ This is the tranny master come out of hiding recently, good to see you around Cliff. Pay 50x as much attention to what he says over us idle meddlers :D

dvdjsn
10-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I found a free atsg manual online at fileshare.