PDA

View Full Version : 1989 LeBaron w/ 44,000mi - Need Help!

sawitup
09-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi guys,

I picked up this car from my Mother In Laws house a couple days ago. Its a 89 Chrysler LeBaron with only 43,999 miles. It was my wifes grandmothers car.

It has been sitting for 7 years un used. I picked it up and brought it home. I replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, and changed the motor oil & filter.

The problem that I am having at this time is that it wont start. I have verified that I'm getting good clean pressured gas from the fuel pum all the way to the throttle body. I can put some gasoline in the throttle body and it starts right up. For some reason, the throttle body isn't allowing fuel to enter it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The problem is in the throttle body... but I don't want to start tearing it apart as I am just learning as I go :)

cordes
09-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I take it this is a TBI car?

HoverFish
09-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Sounds like it. Try taking the cap off the injector (the black dome, you'll need a torx screwdriver) and remove the injector. All the way around it is a fine mesh screen. Make sure that's clear.

135sohc
09-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Sounds like it. Try taking the cap off the injector (the black dome, you'll need a torx screwdriver) and remove the injector. All the way around it is a fine mesh screen. Make sure that's clear.

^^This along with making sure the electical connection to the injector is good and sound. Wires and connections like to get brittle with age and heat, especially the one in mention here.

sawitup
09-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Ok, I made a little progress today... thank you for the replies!

How can I tell if the injector is bad? I verified with a test light that I have power going to it when my wife bumped the motor both on the plug and on the connection inside the black oval cap that sits on top of the injector. When I took the injector out to look at the screen (Clean) it relieved pressure and had gas in it... so I know gas is getting there... and the screen is good.

The only thing I can think of is that the injector itself isn't opening up to spray fuel inside the throttle body... Is there a way to test it or should I just buy a new one and see if the car fires up?

How does the injector work anyway? Does the computer send different levels of voltage to it and the injector opens more with more voltage and less with less voltage?

sawitup
09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
I just wasnt too excited about running out and buying a new one as that usually doesn't work for me!