PDA

View Full Version : Help Please With Innovate SSI-4

1BADVAN
09-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I am trying to get my SSI-4 to read RPM, I have read through the manual tons of times but can't get it to work so i come to you guys. I know that this topic has come up before, I have read those tried that and still nothing.

Here is what i got, I have a SMEC so like other threads suggested i tapped into the Tach Signal from the SMEC 60 way which was pin #50, I connected that to the SSI-4's Ch1 "+" side and connected the Ch1 "-" to ground.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/292804_4856954385089_869279269_n.jpg

Here are the things I think I might have wrong.

In the LM-Programmer what to I put in these boxes??
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/251308_4856954025080_1411867509_n.jpg

then In LogWorks how is this set up? I fugure like this, is it right?
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/644678_4856954185084_2081173164_n.jpg

NOW for the weird part, when this is hooked up like this, i don't get any reading on the computer, but when i take the Ch1 "-" wire and lay it over the engine it reads the RPM!! it is a little off but it is a very steady signal.
Another thought should i hook it to the HEP signal?
Set is up as a frequency signal??

shackwrrr
09-27-2012, 11:35 PM
The tach output is pretty weak, I tried using it for a similar datalogger and got nothing, Try using an injector signal wire or coil negative. Hep signal wouldn't work as it has varying pulses.

If you use an injector, use negative pulse, if coil use Positive pulse edge. Max RPM is most likely for the graph resolution, You dont want a graph that goes 0-15000 for an engine that will never see over 6. Just set it to 500 over the rev limit.

1BADVAN
09-27-2012, 11:46 PM
The tach output is pretty weak, I tried using it for a similar datalogger and got nothing, Try using an injector signal wire or coil negative. Hep signal wouldn't work as it has varying pulses.

If you use an injector, use negative pulse, if coil use Positive pulse edge. Max RPM is most likely for the graph resolution, You dont want a graph that goes 0-15000 for an engine that will never see over 6. Just set it to 500 over the rev limit.
Thanks on the coil do i hook the to the neg side?, what do I hook the ground to? And for the injector same, pos or neg wire?

GLHNSLHT2
09-27-2012, 11:46 PM
odd, I hooked my DL-32 to the blue tach wire and it works fine.

shackwrrr
09-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks on the coil do i hook the to the neg side?, what do I hook the ground to? And for the injector same, pos or neg wire?

Hook it up to the negative side of either.

1BADVAN
09-27-2012, 11:50 PM
odd, I hooked my DL-32 to the blue tach wire and it works fine.
you connected that to your "+" input? So what did you hook to the "-" connection?

shackwrrr
09-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Oh and use negative pulse on either, don't know what I was thinking. Ground should just go to whatever ground the ssi and sec are using.

GLHNSLHT2
09-27-2012, 11:53 PM
you connected that to your "+" input? So what did you hook to the "-" connection?

I don't remember, It's been years since I've hooked it up and it's currently been out of the car for a while.

shackwrrr
09-28-2012, 12:04 AM
I just read the manual and the rpm section is pretty lame. I would just use coil negative and put the -signal wire on the smec ground since that's where the signal originates. Use negative pulse, and 7k for Max rpm an you should be good.

If they thought it through properly they would have set it up to use the injector signal so you could have both RPM and injector pulse width.

GLHNSLHT2
09-28-2012, 12:19 AM
The DL-32 manual is a bit better.

1BADVAN
09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
So i figured it out, at least I think so, only some test driving will verify. I got nothing from the tach signal, my signal must be too weak. So i tried a few things that gave a signal but only worked under 3000 RPM then it would instantly max out the gauge. Hooking to the coil just jumped all around i think the EMF from the coil and wires threw off the signal, i could get a better signal by coiling the wire around a spark plug lol.

So what Works so far, I hooked to the same coil signal wire, but right from the power module 14 way connector.
I programed the SSI-4 for neg. pulse (thanks for the tip shackwrrr) Then i hooked the ch1 "-" to the coil driver of the power module, and the Ch1"+" to ground.

I need to wire it up more permanently and go for a drive, I don't think the neighbors like me revving the van in the garage, (I hate townhomes!)

Now to figure out the other sensors