PDA

View Full Version : wheels....89 daytona shelby

86lance
08-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Ok so i may have scored a set of 0z racing p-1's. Their gunmetal gray and look kickass. the good...... The offset,bolt pattern,and size are very good. Their 17x7. the bad. The centers of the wheels are too small. Not by alot by any means. Question is is it safe to sand down/shave a tiny bit of material on the wheels/bearing area on the hub to allow them to slide over? I could take off the hub or whatever and take it to a machine shop to have it lathed off so it would be perfect. Keep in mind ill most likely be getting these extremely cheap or free so i can do some work to get them to go.

cordes
08-11-2006, 10:34 PM
If it is just a very small amount of material, I would do it. Is there excess corrosion built up in the wheels or on the hubs? I find that there can often times be seating problems between the rim and the hub if that is the case. It is also very dangerous as it does not allow for a proper clamping force to be applied by the lug nuts.

86lance
08-11-2006, 10:40 PM
it is like literally 5-6 sheets of paper thick that would need to be taken off,probabaly less than that actually I could always have a machine shop turn the hubs down. But i guess ill break out the dremel with a sanding disc and get to work!

Lee'sdaytona
08-11-2006, 10:43 PM
I did that when we got rims for my brother's car. He has a 94 cavalier that just had steel wheels and wheel covers, but we bought the slightly larger in diameter, third generation cavalier chrome double spoke wheels...and we just used metal files and filed off a bit around the edges...works perfect and we have been useing the wheels for a few years now.
-Lee
EDIT, the wheel diameter was larger, but the inner diameter that goes over the hub was SLIGHTLY smaller
-Lee

cordes
08-11-2006, 10:44 PM
I would be very careful if doing the removal of the material from the wheels yourself. The hubcentric nature of the two needs to be maintained for safty. I would take it off of the disk/drums as they would be a lot cheaper to replace than the wheels. Corrosion would be less of an issue too.

86lance
08-11-2006, 11:11 PM
yeah sounds like a great idea. just take in the hub and bring it to a machine shop and say hey make this fit,lol