PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake 89 Shadow

Hemidare
08-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey guys i have a cold air intake in my shadow and it is not in the best of places. It is right in front of the drivers side tire right under the battery tucked up in that void. But it gets water logged when it rains, so i am wondering where else i can put it that it wont get so wet.

I have air conditioning in it so that is something that won't come out so it kinda limits where i can put it. Where have you guys put yours i just wanted to brain storm with you guys and see what you have to say. So where should i place it?

So if you guys could post some pics to help with this that would be great or some ideas that would be cool.

Thanx for any ideas. :thumb:

cordes
08-11-2006, 10:39 PM
You could cut a hole in the rad support next to the rad on the drivers side and run it up there.

Lee'sdaytona
08-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I've read that "cold air intakes" don't gain much more of an advantage, for our cars at least, since there is cold air piped in through the stock setup. But, I ran my K&N cone filter right up to the computer where the stock air intake was
-Lee

Hemidare
08-11-2006, 11:19 PM
So just at the computer opening where the old hose went from the computer into the air box. How hot is the cold air intake hose after a spirited run? Because if it is hot doesn't that lead to detonation?

Lee'sdaytona
08-11-2006, 11:33 PM
well I haven't checked how hot the intake was, but really to avoid detonation, you really should be concerned that your cylinders are getting enough fuel needed for the amount of boost you want to run. I just got my minivan running a few weeks ago, but when I had my daytona, I used the stock airbox (turbo II) at 14 psi and never had a problem (until my brother ran 87 octane fuel in there that is)
-Lee

Hemidare
08-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah i am aware of that but if you are putting in really hot air it is more prone to detonation then if you had cool air in there. Or am i totally off? Not trying to argue or anything just want to clarify if i am going in the right direction.

Lee'sdaytona
08-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Yeah i am aware of that but if you are putting in really hot air it is more prone to detonation then if you had cool air in there. Or am i totally off? Not trying to argue or anything just want to clarify if i am going in the right direction.
no, what your saying makes sence, but from my experiance, and all the reading I've done on the boards in the past five years, I don't remember too many guys worrying about putting cold air intakes on. IMO, its more of a ricer thing to do. I think many guys either use stock airboxes, or just put a short pipe off of the turbo to a cone filter and hook up their intercooler....which btw, helps a bunch in cooling off the air. Anyone else have opinions on this?
-Lee

Hemidare
08-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Well i am not doing it to be a ricer but Simon noticed a big difference putting a cold air intake on. And it is a freebie so i might as well put it on, ricers be damned! lol :) And yes i have aspirations to put in a intercooler but haven't the money and besides if i am not tinkering with my car i go crazy. So that is why i am asking who else has put them on.

Thank you very much for you imput though lee'sdaytona and putting on the intercooler makes sense and it cooling the air coming in.

Lee'sdaytona
08-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Well i am not doing it to be a ricer but Simon noticed a big difference putting a cold air intake on. And it is a freebie so i might as well put it on, ricers be damned! lol :) And yes i have aspirations to put in a intercooler but haven't the money and besides if i am not tinkering with my car i go crazy. So that is why i am asking who else has put them on.

Thank you very much for you imput though lee'sdaytona and putting on the intercooler makes sense and it cooling the air coming in.
No problem my friend. I certainly understand your situation, as I've been there. Even if you do go for the cold air intake and you find a great place for it, I wouldn't run too much boost without an intercooler. 10psi is my limit.
I know what you mean about not tinkering with your car..lol...
-Lee

cordes
08-13-2006, 10:23 PM

Simon has a very well designed setup. Most people just stick a piece of pipe with a cone on it under the hood and call it a cold air setup. The stock TII air boxes are not too restrictive, and pull some relativly cool air in, so they work well. If you can get some air that is actually cooler than the engine bay you will notice gains, other wise stick with what you have. Why do all the work for no increase in performance?

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Simon has a very well designed setup. Most people just stick a piece of pipe with a cone on it under the hood and call it a cold air setup. The stock TII air boxes are not too restrictive, and pull some relativly cool air in, so they work well. If you can get some air that is actually cooler than the engine bay you will notice gains, other wise stick with what you have. Why do all the work for no increase in performance?

Thankyou, :thumb:

I agree, if you can Shaun, run a TII airbox, they work great but one day after we get your car running correctly, we can brain storm. I haven't had the energy with your car, my van, work, :(

Lee, getting cold air in makes a huge difference, the air doesn't get so heated up by the turbo, the IC doesn't have to work as hard blah blah blah, :eyebrows:

Lee'sdaytona
08-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Lee, getting cold air in makes a huge difference, the air doesn't get so heated up by the turbo, the IC doesn't have to work as hard blah blah blah, :eyebrows:
Yeah thats definately logical....but I was just going off of what everyone typically does around here: keep the stock box because they usually work pretty well...its hard to find a spot to mount a cone filter where it will be cold, dry AND not too much pipeing...
-Lee

Hemidare
08-14-2006, 01:03 PM
I think i will be able to put it right in front of my battery. And put a smaller overflow tank in there. I read somewhere about someone doing that and using one out of a toyota or something. In front of the battery its dry and cooler then the engine bay, i think it's worth trying.