PDA

View Full Version : How much impact does the SDS sensor have on the way our vehicles run?

turbovanmanČ
09-19-2012, 04:21 AM
I changed it out tonight with a known good used one, as I noticed my idle was all over the place, checked my TPS, usually my issue and it was fine, so hooked up the scanner and I would watch the speed go up by its own and when it did, the rpm went up with it. I've also had cutting out problems again like before when it went bad? Anyhow, this one had a blue gear, the old one black, and now it runs like a totally different van, smoother, more power, it will roast the tires at 10psi and bury the tach, pulls to 6K but couldn't go higher as I ran out of road. Doesn't make sense that this sensor would make the engine run so crappy? :confused:

RoadWarrior222
09-19-2012, 09:38 AM
If it sees SDS pulses, it assumes you are moving along in gear, so need more gas to keep it moving and keep it from stalling. The complete fail mode, when no pulses detected mean you'll stall in gear when you lift your foot off. Anything with a PCM or 'lectronic trans, probably knows how much extra fuel from that, so might not work quite the same. With a hydraulic auto or manual, it relies heavily on SDS to say "that oughta be enough".

Dunno where the hell you found a black speedo gear though. "Normal" is white, yellow or blue.

turbovanmanČ
09-19-2012, 12:21 PM
It never stalled. I know GM's won't idle worth a damn without one, ask me how I know, :p

As for us, the last time it failed, no code but I would get random engine cut outs, it would just die then catch, took me awhile to figure out so I just unplugged it for the time being, problem solved, lol.

Black gear, no idea? :confused:

Orangetona
09-20-2012, 05:35 PM
I said that the SDS will cause all kinds of random crap, but no one really thought it was possible since they weren't running one at all. But, I know it fixed my car when I put a new one in. Just saying.