PDA

View Full Version : How to tell bad turbo?

JDAWG
08-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Is there any way to tell if a turbo is bad while it isnt on the car? I mean yea check shaft play but what about the seals? Is there any way to check this without it being on the car?

cordes
08-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I have not heard of any good way to tell if a turbo is bad without running it. I would love to know one though.

Lee'sdaytona
08-11-2006, 10:49 PM
maybe you could rig up some sort of oil pump setup where you could run oil through the turbo under pressure and look for oil to come into either the hot or cold side?
-Lee

puppet
08-12-2006, 12:19 AM
That will also make a good turbo leak. The shaft needs to be spinning and the wheels creating a pressure difference to hold back the oil.

Maybe just take it to a shop that balances them.

Lee'sdaytona
08-12-2006, 11:47 AM
That will also make a good turbo leak. The shaft needs to be spinning and the wheels creating a pressure difference to hold back the oil.

Maybe just take it to a shop that balances them.
oh yeah I never thought about that:o

JDAWG
08-13-2006, 03:07 AM
There is a diesl shop a few miles from me that rebuilds turbos. I will call them monday. I mean they have to have some way to test them out. Let ya guys know.

turbo xtc
09-03-2006, 07:40 PM
i made a fitting to mate a gm oil pump to the inlet and a fitting with a valve from a old furnace to shut off the main gas line to screw into the outlet side and used a drill to spin the pump and compressed air to spin the turbo this takes two people (i used my son) he came up with the valve idea

cordes
09-03-2006, 07:42 PM
i made a fitting to mate a gm oil pump to the inlet and a fitting with a valve from a old furnace to shut off the main gas line to screw into the outlet side and used a drill to spin the pump and compressed air to spin the turbo this takes two people (i used my son) he came up with the valve idea

Does it work?