PDA

View Full Version : Quick spool spark retard?

John B
09-17-2012, 07:57 AM
I am told that the quick spool cals actually retard ignition timing to achieve the quick spool effect. What happens to make it do that? What is the principle behind it? :confused:

Pat
09-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Much hotter exhaust temps.

ShelGame
09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
If you retard the timing far enough, you can actually open the exhaust valve before the combustion is finished, pushing it into the exhaust manifold. The gases expanding in the manifold spool the turbo quickly.

Right now, it's pretty simple. If the boost is below target, the amount of retard is proportional to the difference from the boost target. I'm working on improving the logic behind it, though. I'm starting with the launch control portion, but I'll add a separate quick-spool option, too, similar ot the current with improvements. In addition, I hope to a add a shift-without-lift option...

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Sweet, :nod:

tkelly27
09-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I am planning on trying to set the launch control switch to the clutch. I don't have a use for the clutch switch, being that I don't have cruise control and I have the starter on a push button. Then I will set the mph of launch control to just under FF. At that point, any time I have the clutch in, it should drop to the lower rev limit.

If this works, the code for NLTS can be based off the clutch. All you need to do at that point is to set two different limits, one for under a certain mph, and one for over a certain mph. When the clutch is engaged it decides which limit to go to based on the vehicle speed so you get launch control at a low speed, and NLTS at a higher vehicle speed. With the clutch engaged it goes back to regular rev limits.

We should already have a clutch input on the ECU. I don't know where that is or how it works, but I know if you push the clutch in you can make the cruise control stop working.

ShelGame
09-23-2012, 02:54 PM
I am planning on trying to set the launch control switch to the clutch. I don't have a use for the clutch switch, being that I don't have cruise control and I have the starter on a push button. Then I will set the mph of launch control to just under FF. At that point, any time I have the clutch in, it should drop to the lower rev limit.

If this works, the code for NLTS can be based off the clutch. All you need to do at that point is to set two different limits, one for under a certain mph, and one for over a certain mph. When the clutch is engaged it decides which limit to go to based on the vehicle speed so you get launch control at a low speed, and NLTS at a higher vehicle speed. With the clutch engaged it goes back to regular rev limits.

We should already have a clutch input on the ECU. I don't know where that is or how it works, but I know if you push the clutch in you can make the cruise control stop working.

The 91+ have s clutch switch I think. The earlier cars do not. I think they must sense the increasing rpm to cut the cruise.

bfarroo
09-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Does the quick spool also require WOT.

speedfreek500
09-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Since we are on the quick spool topic, i use a msd 3step module and have a 3200 rpm pill. When i activate the switch and floor it my wideband reads 17.0 afr while making 6psi,
just curious what others have noticed ?

ShelGame
09-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Does the quick spool also require WOT.

Yes, except when staging...

22shelby
09-24-2012, 08:30 AM
i too use MSDs modules... and when i would 2 step i was always pig rich... are you using it WOT???

speedfreek500
09-24-2012, 10:21 AM
i too use MSDs modules... and when i would 2 step i was always pig rich... are you using it WOT???

Yup sure do, i was looking around on other sites and they have the same results i got. I just wanted some more info.

Thanks Brian

ShelGame
09-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Which side of the coil does the MSD cut? If it cuts the GND, then it shouldn't go lean. But, if it cuts the +, depending on where you wired it in, it might cut the injectors too. The ASD supplied the +12V for the fuel pump, the coil, and the injectors. So, if you wire the MSD at the ASD +12V, then I can see why you might go lean when it's staging. That would be spark+fuel cut (+fuel pump cut). Maybe not such a good idea.

Sorry, I don't know much about using an MSD with the these cars...

shackwrrr
09-24-2012, 10:45 AM
2 step will usually always show lean unless you also retard timing. Without retard the oxygen is unused and is pushed out the tailpipe with unburnt fuel the O2 sensor picks up the unused oxy and shows lean. In a setup that retards the timing the same thing happens but now the spark is happening with the exhaust valve open, this ignites the unburnt fuel/oxygen in the manifold creating lots of heat to spool the Turbo, this shows up as rich on the wideband and shoots the egts up.